The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How far do you travel for lessons?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under 30 min.

24 29.63%
  • 30 min. to an hour

16 19.75%
  • 1 hour

19 23.46%
  • 2 hours

14 17.28%
  • 3+ hours

8 9.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far do you travel for lessons?

How far do you travel for lessons with your eventing coach/trainer?

Just curious...

ETA: I did forget to say:

If it takes you an hour and a half or 2 and a half hours, then please just post your reply/vote. I forgot to add "hour and a half" and "2 and a half hours" to the originial poll options and for some reason it won't let me go back and edit it.

Thanks!
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

Hour and a half.

3-3 1/2 hours. I board at a dressage barn, but this year training with the trainer there has been spotty because her main upper level horse is in Germany now so she goes over there once a month for at least a week but usually two/three(ish).
    T3DE Pact

Oops, I voted before I read your post, but it takes about and hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours (I voted 2 hours). Our dressage trainer is about half an hour away and she usually comes to our place, but we travel to work on everything else.

My trainer comes to me. She is by no means a big name in any way, but she knows a lot and has a lot of experience. She is young and still starting out, and prefers to go to the students. She also works not far from my horses so we plan it so she goes from work to my lesson.

My coach comes to our farm because I am extremely fortunate and he spoils me!
    Actually, he's retired now and not longer has his own place - just comes here for the free lunch and company I guess

I didn't really feel right voting in the poll because I didn't want to mess up the results.

My trainer comes to me, but there is another one that a good friend hauls to (she uses both my trainer and another one) and I'd like to take lessons from her as well in the future. She would be in the "under 30 minute" section.

I'm so very, very, very lucky. About six months after we purchased our property I found out that an ULR was moving to a farm THREE MILES from here. I've been riding with her for a year and a half and it is GREAT. I could hack to her farm, but the roads are pretty busy and Bonnie doesn't do cows. I trailer in once, maybe twice a week for lessons, and she comes here to ride sometimes when I can't get away.

There are maybe 5 or 6 people in the whole state competing at her level and with her experience, and I get to be this close? Yippee!!!

Where I used to board the trainer would come to the barn for lessons, and we'd have frequent clinics at that barn, too.

I'll drive quite a long way for a clinic with favorite clinicians, but it's wonderful having a really good trainer very close to home.
    Click here before you buy.

Two and a half hours for a lesson from my eventing trainer

Two hours for some stadium lessons from a jumper trainer

One hour (usually) to school XC.

What does that mean? With diesel at $4.70, it means my riding has regressed since I can't afford to GO anywhere

I am exactly 1.2 miles from my trainer! I used to ride my bike back and forth, and probubally still should, but...oh well.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

3.5 hours for jumping from an ULR
    45 min for dressage lessons

This is why we finish dressage in the 20's and then suck up a rail or two ;-)

I am very, very lucky. I turn right out of the barn for dressage lessons, and left for jumping. My trainer also hauls me to all shows if my husband happens to not be around. One day I'll figure it out and be able to do it myself, but that 4 horse is BIG.

I get to board at my trainer's facility even though I have my own property. Its so much easier, I don't have to worry if I happen to not make it out there. It was especially nice while my husband was in Iraq!

20 minutes to get to the barn, but until I get a trailer, I will have the trainer come to me.

BTW Thank you Oakstables for putting me in contact with your friend.
    Dressage it's a way of life!

It's not as much about long and low as about down and around Courtesy of Gay McCall

It takes me about 3 and a half hours to get to Emily Beshear's place.

It's funny because everyone seems to think that there is an abundance of great instructors (able to help people move into the upper levels) in Area II and especially in Virginia. However, Southwest Virginia seems to be something of a black hole and while there are a few really good lower level instructors, there aren't many upper level instructors that are really local (at least not local to Blacksburg).

I just remembered that Caroline Dowd isn't too far out (I think about 2 hours) and she does travel to the area on occassion, which is a wonderful thing because there's a decent sized contingent of eventers in Southwest Virginia.

My trainer comes to my place for lessons - or I can trailer the 2 miles to her place if I need to jump a bigger course (we have 4 sets of standards and two are in the field- I bought new cups, but need some time to make a few more) or I want to school cross country or water (but the BO at my place is putting in cross country jumps as more eventers have moved in.)

But, my trainer is primarily H/J, so I try to clinic a fair deal - but there are a lot of good clinics within a half an hour as well (although I hope they keep filling so they will keep having them.)

I drive about a half hour (across town) to my regular instructor, and occasionally ride with one or two others that are up to 2 hours away...but usually when I drive that far I stay over for a weekend of riding/lessons.

I usually trailer about an hour for lessons, but fortunately one of my trainers comes to my barn once or twice a month.

jumping lesson....2 1/2 hrs
    dressage lesson...if I can make it to one of her clinics 2 hrs, at her farm 6 hrs

needless to say, with gas prices....I don't take many lessons I'm lucky that I have honest friends though who will say things like "good lord, what are you doing with your hands???"

5 minutes away from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by AUeventer View Post
    Two and a half hours for a lesson from my eventing trainer

Two hours for some stadium lessons from a jumper trainer

One hour (usually) to school XC.

What does that mean? With diesel at $4.70, it means my riding has regressed since I can't afford to GO anywhere

My goodness girl, who are you riding with 2 and a half hours from here?! Too many close-by options for that kind of travel these days

I am lucky in that I work for an ULR so I get to ride with her almost every day (even if not in a lesson). So I take lessons with her when I can and *hopefully* I am going to start riding with another ULR soon. That would be more of a drive, a little under an hour. But I would probably get to put mine in the trailer with the girl I work for b/c she takes lessons from Trainer #2 also.