The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I have heard from quite a few sources that Rosenthal is good for brainwashing the nutty mares. In fact, I am seriously thinking of using him for that very purpose, as I know he did a great job evening out the mind of a sister of the mare in question. The resulting offspring is even tempered, and was a top award winning mare last year for GOV.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

I have bred two different mares to Darlyn's stallion, Nevada, for a total of five foals and ALL have great temperaments. These horses are attractive with terrific gaits and near perfect conformation. Mine have been successful in-hand, in dressage, in Hunters and Eventing. They have been shown successfully at DaD, A rated Hunter shows, etc... All these foals were better horses than their moms who I dearly love but Nevada improved them.

I have also bred several mares to Dauphin. These foals, oldest is four, have been exceptionally easy too. They are attractive, talented and consistent. It has been noted on the forum before that Dauphin has exceptionally good frozen semen.

I might add that Ridley has not had many foals yet but so far they have been easy. The oldest is just 14 months though so we'll see! He sure has been pleasant.

Fair Winds Farm
    www.fair-windsfarm.com
    Last edited by FWF; Jun. 17, 2008 at 07:30 AM.

Don't forget there is a difference between temperament, character, and rideability. A horse can have a super character - excellent barn manners, gentle, kind, trusting, honest, dependable, etc., but be "hot" in temperament - a bit spooky or flighty, very forward, easily excited by things such as other horses running in the pasture, etc. The same horse can also have super rideability for a good rider - forward, easy to keep in front of the leg, good in the bridle, great work ethic, etc., but be TOO forward for a novice or timid rider.

That said, two bloodlines long-noted for producing excellent temperament, character, and rideability are the Donnerhall and Rubinstein lines (meaning the German Rubinstein, not the Dutch stallion by the same name). Of course, the further you get from those sires in the pedigree, the more diluted the desired characteristics become, unless reinforced through the damline. There is a reason why the Rubinstein/Donnerhall and Donnerhall/Rubinstein cross is called the "Royal Dressage" cross.

Quote Originally Posted by FWF View Post
    I have also bred several mares to Dauphin. These foals, oldest is four, have been exceptionally easy too. They are attractive, talented and consistent. It has been noted on the forum before that Dauphin has exceptionally good frozen semen.

. . . . . .

Fair Winds Farm
    www.fair-windsfarm.com
    The mare by Dauphin that you bred and that was presented at the Hedgeland AHS inspection last fall was drop-dead gorgeous!

Default Young stallions

I have a Devon Heir boy that is just great.......as someone earlier posted - follows ya around like a dog. He was my only foal last year, but the mare has had a number of foals for me out of some pretty outstanding stallions. They pale by comparison temperament-wise. I keep raising his price, my husband is worried as I only keep fillies to replace my broodmares. But, he is really special - easy, adores people, dogs, cats, loves life. He makes me smile all the time. If I could only embrace life with such gusto....and confidence. Unfortunately, I don't think he has any 1/2 sibs undersaddle yet and that is a problem. Oh, did I mention he is stunning! Yeah, I'm hooked. Sell those mares and just keep one gelding.

My definition of temperament includes great ground manners, willingness to learn, and great rideability.

I have a four-year old gelding by Dorofino (Donnerhall/Rubinstein) out of my Eminenz/TB mare. This horse has impeccable manners and is unbelievably friendly. Yesterday, we took our first trail ride alone--he traveled through a lumber mill yard, encountered cars, deer, a dog, a lawnmower, and a strange field of horses. He took everything in stride. I highly recommend the D- and the R-lines. I have his brother who is by Resonanz who has a similar temperament and who, at 3 years old, goes out on the trail like he's been doing it for a dozen years. I have two foals by Rotspon this year who both are conformationally beautiful, great movers, and both have wonderful temperaments. This year, the dam is leased out and in foal to Rosenthal. I expect her 2009 foal will have the same great temperament.

We lost our Beste Gold foal last year, but his temperament was amazing. This year, we went up to Magic Rose Farm to see the foals. They all have the same terrific attitude that Bill does. We are breeding our R-line mare to him this year.

I have been impressed with Nevada's foals. Time and again we've seen the amateur rider able to start their own Nevada babies and compete them successfully at a young age. He seems to consistently deliver that great temperament.

I am really impressed with my San Rubin (Sandro Hit/Rubinstein) colt's temperament this year. The Rubinstein temperment DEF came through!!

I have to agree with the other posters about Rubinstein. Big teddy bears. I'd also add Sir Sinclair and Consul.

Quote Originally Posted by Derid View Post
    I have a Devon Heir boy that is just great.......as someone earlier posted - follows ya around like a dog. He was my only foal last year, but the mare has had a number of foals for me out of some pretty outstanding stallions. They pale by comparison temperament-wise. I keep raising his price, my husband is worried as I only keep fillies to replace my broodmares. But, he is really special - easy, adores people, dogs, cats, loves life. He makes me smile all the time. If I could only embrace life with such gusto....and confidence. Unfortunately, I don't think he has any 1/2 sibs undersaddle yet and that is a problem. Oh, did I mention he is stunning! Yeah, I'm hooked. Sell those mares and just keep one gelding.
    I have a colt like that. Life is good and everyone is his friend. We will see what he is like under saddle. His dam had an excellent character (as defined by Down Yonder a few posts ago..I completely agree with her definitions..but a bit spicy under saddle). It will be interesting to see if the Mr. Mellow act continues when he is started.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Boleem. His kids are a kind as he is -- with a workaholic, want-to-please outlook on training and work. He passes on his "heart".

ZondervanFarm Guest

Default Zondervan Farm

Thatcher, our KWPN Licensed Stallion has had great success with his offspring having had several Top Ten placements to include the No. 1 and No. 4 in the 2007 KWPN-NA Top Five Dressage Foals list. That said, through out our experience with his foals that we've raised and those that have been bred by others one constant has been the wonderful temperaments. He truely throws off a willing and friendly foal. All have been very curious about and friendly toward their human partners.

You can find out more about Thatcher and our other fine horses at:

www.zondervanfarm.com