The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PIK L.

No doubt about it.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

i'm surprised no one has mentioned flemmingh. when i was researching what kind of foal i wanted to buy i kept hearing over and over again how flemmingh always threw amateur-friendly horses. my colt is out with a herd in a 10-acre pasture and he always gallops over to me when i call him from the gate. the farrier said he is the best behaved yearling he has ever worked on. i am still trying to find something he objects to: he doesn't mind getting in and out of trailers, he doesn't mind umbrellas, he doesn't mind flapping tarps, he doesn't mind me sticking my ipod earbud in his ear while it is playing. he is just so easy and takes everything in stride.

We have had two foals by Fabuleux and they have had the best of attitudes!

My Contucci gelding is easy easy easy...practically born broke. He's a goof and a real lover, too.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Default The Mares ! Don't forget the mares !

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    I do not think any stallion can give a 100% guarantee. The dam and the way the foal is raised will have major impacts.
    Exactly. Let's not forget about the mares ! They have a tremendous influence.

But I'll add the late First Class (Furioso x Zeus) to the long list of stallions.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    I do not think any stallion can give a 100% guarantee. The dam and the way the foal is raised will have major impacts.

That said, I have had particularly great temperaments from Rubinstein, Rohdiamant, Weltbekannt, Wolkentanz I, Donnerhall, Don Schufro, Regazzoni, Fabuleux, Der Radetzky, Resonanz, Florencio, Fidertanz, Royal Prince and Fabuleux.
    I have a Florencio yearling that is the easiest baby I have ever had. She is so sweet and very, very sensible.

Hohenstein is known for passing on good temperaments, though his frozen is very poor so recommending him to breeders here is not all that helpful.

Are you talking about temperament in the barn, babies, adults, under saddle, or in the upper levels of any given discipline? For our program good temperament is a given, but the predisposition for cheerful trainability is paramount if a horse is to be successful under saddle for the long haul.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

The F, D and R lines are known for rideability.

There are many stallion sons and grandson representing those landmark German lines.

In the Trakehner breed, I've read that Enrico Caruso had a stellar temperament so look for his sons. Kovington and Tanzeln would be two to consider.

I would say Gold Luck - everyone seems to love his babies and he has them competing in Dressage up to FEI and also some that jump. I have never heard anyone say that their Gold Luck babies are anything but wonderful.

I've had three by Fred Astair. Super temperaments. I mean SUPER. Ask anyone who has ever laid a hand on my Fred Astair stallion.

Fred had the acid test in my barn this spring. I have a mare whose other foals for me have been....ummmmm....intense and concerned from the moment they dropped. This mare's Fred filly is the happiest, most secure, engaged and friendly foal I may have had.

And let's not forget the balance, fabulous canters, outstanding toplines and straight, correct legs that all three have.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Default Routinier: I wholeheartedly agree!

I have 2 Routiniers, both literally follow me around for scritches, like golden retrievers. They both have been super easy to work with, new experiences never seem to phase them. My friend just had a Rudy baby last month, and I can get him to leave me alone, so curious, outgoing.... All have great movement, though typical of the "R" line. They are uphill, balanced, but not big huge "over the top gaits." I think they will be more suited for the upper levels.

I think Routinier throws super temperments. I will start my 4 year old after her foal is weaned, but I suspect she will be no problem. lisa

Fabriano, His Highness and Rosario

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    I would say Gold Luck - everyone seems to love his babies and he has them competing in Dressage up to FEI and also some that jump. I have never heard anyone say that their Gold Luck babies are anything but wonderful.
    The G-line Hanoverians have great temperaments. Beste Gold is out of a G-line mare, Gold Luck is G-line, and another stallion that stands at Rolling Stone Farm, Welcome S, is out of a G-line mare. I own a G-line mare by the same stallion at Beste Gold's dam, out of a TB mare. She has a filly by Welcome S by her side. The mare is wonderful. Exceptionally intelligent, never spooks, totally trustworthy, easy to handle. Loves people. Just loves everyone. The filly is incredible. We can do anything with her. My BO loves how sweet and intelligent she is. Total love bug like her mom. Runs to the fence to visit. Gives kisses. I adore these girls. I have known others who have owned G-line bred horses and they tell me the same stories about their horses.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Every Prince Optimus baby I've gotten to start has had an excellent brain and a kind eye. And I say this with no financial interest in him. I just enjoy his babies. There certainly are probably nature and nurture contributions to their sanity, but Prince has a lovely eye, so I think it's not all due to the good handling Elandale youngsters get...

My new Royal Prince filly has an amazing attitude. She is calm and fearless. She takes to every new thing with interest, but no fuss. I had no idea prior to this filly what to expect from RP, but I'd definitely use him again. I have had two Sir Sinclairs and both are work oriented and friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Are you talking about temperament in the barn, babies, adults, under saddle, or in the upper levels of any given discipline? For our program good temperament is a given, but the predisposition for cheerful trainability is paramount if a horse is to be successful under saddle for the long haul.
    This was going to be exactly my point reading this thread. It struck me as really somewhat silly to not have differentiated this from the start. Many of the "easiest" foals, can turn into very difficult, strong minded, explosive young horses under saddle if they are not supple through the body or are very resistant in the connection.

On the other hand, somewhat explosive, fearful foals can turn into teddy-bears under saddle with the right rider that they can take trust and take confidence in.

That being said, I think the R line is generally known for having amateur friendly horses in both respects and is probably the most prevalent. However, that designation was given to the direct Rubinstein sons. Some of his grand- and great-grandsons may not be quite as reliable if they were crossed to hotter lines, which I do not personally find a bad thing since my complaint with some of the R-line is that they are not hot enough.

What you like really depends what you want as an individual rider and horseperson, and the one universal quality I think all of us dislike is a great deal of stubbornness or a lack of openness to new experiences since that I think remains more the same as a foal or a riding horse.

Wolkentanz 1 and Freestyle

generally sweet temperaments and easy trainability

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    I have heard (from reliable sources) that some are hard to start but once started they are lovely. But every horse has a mother, too, so who knows if that was attributable to sire or dam or both.

I may be a H/J trainer but I have heard wonderful things about Don Principe, I would second Beste Gold and I would add in Waldaire whom I have seen, also with amateurs on him that had never ridden him before. That stallion has a fabulous disposition and so have the offspring I have seen. Can't say enough about him.

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

thanks for all the replies!
    I was just wanting some suggestions of stallions that seem to be producing naturally level-headed, amateur friendly horses. Yes, I know the mare has A LOT to do with it. As the mare we are thinking about breeding (not too seriously yet, just kind of toying with the idea) is very spooky, we would only breed her to a stallion that could hopefully (altho I know its not a garuntee) produce a much more level headed foal.
    The mare is absolutely lovely, wonderful gaits, but owning one of her babies already (we did not breed him, tho) we know that she likes to pass on her spooky tendency...(altho his sire is not known for passing on amateur friendly horses, I dont think)
    And yet, I also realize training has a great deal to do with it too.
    Just wanted to see if there were any stallions that seemed to be producing great temperments pretty consistently.
    thanks again!