The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I agree that "always" is not a word that can be used in breeding!

I will say we have had very good luck with Rosenthal and Donatelli. We have had several foals by each and they all are very quiet and easy. However, our mares are also very quiet so it's hard to say where it came from... but I have heard good things from other people with foals as well. Knock on wood, we've not had an ill tempered foal so we've almost been able to expect them to be quiet based on the stallion/mare combo.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I've only had one badly tempered foal out of dozens. She was by a TB out of a small WB mare I picked up for $2700 because of her size. The mare was a maiden and did not discipline her foal. I didn't have a herd situation at that time. The filly was obnoxious to handle and I eventually gave her away to a very experienced trainer. She did what she could with her and the filly ended up as a polo pony.

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    Florestan and Fienerstern (F lines) tend to be nice horses. Some of the W lines are pretty steady - Wonderful is nice, but semen is "iffy". Many of the Ideal babies are quite easy to work with. I've known a few Idocus offspring that were nice, easy horses (OK, I've jumped breeds now). Sempatico seems to be throwing good minds, although not too many going under saddle yet, as he is young.
    I'd have to agree about Feiner Stern... I had a colt by him. He was the most people loving, smart, brave little guy I've ever been around.

Quote Originally Posted by hessy35 View Post
    I'd have to agree about Feiner Stern...
    We have a sale horse in the barn by Feiner Stern, and the reason he is for sale is because he is quite hot under saddle. GREAT personality, but a pro ride with quite the spook. Super fancy mover though.

My friend owns a horse by this guy, http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...ns/andiamo.htm who is the most bomb-proof, tolerant horse out there, and he was born that way. He is actually in the hunter ring right now (bought as a 3yr old from a dressage breeder- much to their dismay), and even though he's a pretty big guy, he will pack around a 10 yr old over a course. He is really a special horse who is fancy (champion all down the East Coast and FL circuit) & the quiet, dressage people google over his trot.

I'll second Freestyle. Have a mare by him who is lovely and extremely quiet. We joke that we'll have to breed her to a monster stallion that everyone is afraid of to get a foal with a little more fire.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    We have a sale horse in the barn by Feiner Stern, and the reason he is for sale is because he is quite hot under saddle. GREAT personality, but a pro ride with quite the spook. Super fancy mover though.
    What barn? I'd like to see this horse....

I disagree about Pointmaker. My gelding's dam is by Pointmaker and she was, as is my gelding, a far cry from explosive. In fact, my gelding is so bombproof and safe I rode him up to my 5th month of pregnancy out on the trails, and he is only 5. I also have a good friend with a lovely Pointmaker mare. She is as smart as a whip with a fabulous temperament. I used to know a woman who bred to him quite a few times, and all of the foals turned into good, ammy friendly riding horses.

Although, he is not alive anymore, Darwin's offspring tend to be quite easy. (was just talking about that on the UDBB the other day)

There's a local stallion to me that throws very sweet and willing foals + great movement: Williams. He is a nice boy to handle and passes that right along.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I would most definetly not suggest Pointmaker, I know several Pointmakers and non of them are easy. They arn't good movers IMO, he is not a stallion I would suggest.

What about Fabuleux? Pablo?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Everyone will obviously have their opinions, I think you are seeing that on this post. It is critical to remember that all horses have differences and no matter what element you are trying to "fix" a stallion can't fix it all.

I have a very hot mare that I bred twice to Rotspon and both of her foals are very easy to work with (the yearling is BOMBPROOF), friendly and very pretty with great gaits. This year's colt is bit more shy than his older brother but since he is so young, I can't remember if Rhett was that way at this age or not. I would definitely recommend him if you can do frozen (his semen is well known to be VERY reliable) my mare was bred on half a dose last year.

Our week old Quaterback filly is incredibly sweet, sensible but yet very bold. Of course her dam is by Contucci and is a wonderful wonderful mare, my favorite mare of all times!! Guess I am prejudiced eh??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I will second Beste Gold. I have a 4 year old filly by him, and she is the sweetest horse ever! She loves attention and people. She is extremely easy and willing under saddle and on the ground, not to mention a fabulous mover and jumper. From what I understand her dam was a B**ch, and none of it shows in my filly. My trainer went and met Beste Gold and some of his babies and she said all of them were very stunning and well behaved.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    Our week old Quaterback filly is incredibly sweet, sensible but yet very bold. Of course her dam is by Contucci and is a wonderful wonderful mare, my favorite mare of all times!! Guess I am prejudiced eh??
    Quaterback mareline goes back to Bolero. The noble kindness, calm intelligence, and incredible work ethic of the Bolero's has proven to be a very prepotent trait of horses with ANY Bolero blood, contributing to their consistent dominance in the international competition scene for so many years.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Le Mode.... I have a filly by him and while I hope to make her my hunter Le Mode himself competes in dressage and has thrown some amazing Dressage & Hunter prospects. I can speak first hand on his ability to produce a baby with a wonderful temperment - my filly is so easy! Also, I talk to several other people who have babies by him and they all have had wonderful things to say about their babies disposition.

Le Mode tends to throw babies that are correct conformationally, athletic and with great ammie friendly minds.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    Quaterback mareline goes back to Bolero. The noble kindness, calm intelligence, and incredible work ethic of the Bolero's has proven to be a very prepotent trait of horses with ANY Bolero blood, contributing to their consistent dominance in the international competition scene for so many years.

Thanks for the info MagicRoseFarm. I just looked up Bolero in the All Breed Database and it appears that Bolero is a 3/4 TB!! Here is the link:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bolero7

And here is the link to the pedigree of my Quaterback filly Quiana:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/quiana5

Thanks for the info, MRF, I really appreciate it.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I do not think any stallion can give a 100% guarantee. The dam and the way the foal is raised will have major impacts.

That said, I have had particularly great temperaments from Rubinstein, Rohdiamant, Weltbekannt, Wolkentanz I, Donnerhall, Don Schufro, Regazzoni, Fabuleux, Der Radetzky, Resonanz, Florencio, Fidertanz, Royal Prince and Fabuleux.

Default R Line all the way

For temperament, I really do like the R Line. So far we've had a Regardez, Rosenthal and most recently, a Routinier. All three are very personable and easy to handle from Day 1. All show good, correct movement.

The Regardez baby was just started under saddle last month and his owner's trainer says that he is a joy to work with. The Rosenthal filly is 2 years old and we've done a little bit of groundwork with her - she takes everything in stride. Obviously, the Routinier is only a few days old so not much there but i can tell you that he whinnies when we come into the barn, stands to have his halter put on, leads without a problem and loves to be scritchied all over.

The mothers of all three babies were either full TB or at least 50% TB blood. All three babies are incredibly level-headed and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to an R line stallion any day when breeding for a good temperament (for Dressage or Hunters).

I've had 5 foals by Bugatti, out of 3 different mares. All superb, easy, and fabulous movers. The ones under saddle were so easy to start it just about consisted of putting on the saddle and bridle and riding them. Bugatti has Rubinstein and Bolero in him. Comic also produced extremely easy and cooperative foals.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Frohwind. I think a huge percentage of his offspring go to amateur riders. I have three; two are under saddle, one will be backed this summer. The oldest is 8 and is schooling third level. She's the most fun horse I have ever owned. Just a joy to ride every single day - never has a 'bad' day or a "i don't want to do it" day. Starting her was a total non-event. She is like the smart kid on the front row, waving their hand, going "oh, oh, pick me, pick me!"

Her full sister, now 3, is the same way so far. When she'd only been ridden _eight_ times I took her to a friend's covered arena to ride. Ho hum. Even when the barn cat ran almost under her feet at the trot.

The colt is a half Arab, was a premium foal and is probably the nicest horse I've ever owned. He's won in-hand a lot. He is a big, sweet goof. I can't wait to ride him.

You can see pics and videos of them on my website.
    Last edited by cyndi; Jun. 13, 2008 at 04:42 PM.