The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default We need barn cats!! (FOUND. Lots.)

Departing trainer was the owner of ALL the barn cats, and took with. Meeces are multiplying!! And my elderly kitty, Liam, is shaking his paws to heaven and crying "As God as my witness, I'll NEVER be a barn cat again!" while he sprawls next the A/C in my house.

So help us out, yo. The local animal shelter doesn't have any kitties for us.

Location NW GA (Summerville), but remember I commute to Chattanooga, so TN peeps holler back too if you have any kitties!

Thanks!
    Last edited by War Admiral; Jun. 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: We have all the cats we need now, thank you! :-)

I have 2 kittens looking for homes. Both are solid black, one boy, one girl. They are about 2.5 months old. They were kind of dumped on me this weekend and I'm trying to find homes for them. They are located in Chapel Hill, NC, but maybe we could find them a way there. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle?
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

check with the small animal vets in your area -- many of them have kittens/cats they try to find homes for. Also, check the newspaper -- usually alot for free in the classifieds. It's nice to see someone wanting them!!
    PennYG

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    check with the small animal vets in your area -- many of them have kittens/cats they try to find homes for. Also, check the newspaper -- usually alot for free in the classifieds. It's nice to see someone wanting them!!
    PennYG
    Oh, THAT's a good idea - I didn't think of trying the vets. Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Awww, Onwego, I loff black kitties. Anybody coming to TN for the Germantown show???

Default atlanta humane society or gainesville

please call the atlanta humane society or the gainesville one. I used tolive in atlanta and they always had nice "alley cats"
    or over at the cobb animal control where they used to kill a lot.
    and friends of animals in atlanta and its area are wonderful.
    out of 8 atlanta kitties, I still have 7from friends of animals, all over 15 yrs of age, Anastasia, Veronica and her 4 kittens Spenser Shannon Seymour and Cecelia, and adopted kitten Cosmo, kittens a bit old at 15.
    and our atlanta alley cats are tougher than anyone!!
    but there should be some high kill shelters in north georgia mountains since they don't have $$ for humane societies to adopt.
    I once found a nice pregnant mama kitty at a cabin in one of the north georgia mountain parks. person who dumped her out should be hung.

Default black kitties from NC

oh get those 2 black kitties from NC. they and the brown tabbies are less likely to be adopted. (I have 4 brown tabbies). the humane societies will tell you who "goes first" if you ask.
    and vets are a good idea, always trying to save lives and you might get a discount.....I have Chloe an 11 yr old who was dumped off unweaned at my vet's...........didn't get a discount on spaying though.
    Briarcliff Hospital in atlanta always has kitties to place and will give you a discount on fixing them and BAC is great hospital1

Default war admiral

well duh, I just remembered who howard finster was.....isn't he dead? and do you have some of his art at your barn??

Default Kitties Galore!

Oh how I wish we were closer! The place I board my horse is OVER-RUN with cats and kittens of all ages and colors (black, "blue," gray tabby, orange tabby, calico variations, white!) The problem was bad when I got there, but is ridiculous now. I think there are about 15 adult cats and 15 to 20 kittens, currently still increasing in numbers.

A couple of the boarders (me and another woman) and a woman who lives there (she rents a house from the BO) feed them, but none of us can really afford to have EVERYTHING done that all of them need. The BO does not care and does not get involved. Unfortunately none of them have had ANY vaccinations, and none of them are spayed or neutered (hence the problem!) A few are semi-feral, but the woman who lives there has most of them very tame. All of these kitties are located near Winston-Salem, NC if there is any way to get some to you. Any other takers?

Well my kittens actually found homes today around here!! Yay, good luck on the hunt for kittens though.
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

Check bulletin boards at local grocery stores, or the local newspaper. Usually there are several kitties looking for homes. Or put up your own "wanted: kitten" ad. Good luck!

Check out the Walmart parking lot on Saturdays. I always feel for those little "free to good home" kitties and wonder how many of them actually wind up in a good, long-term home. You could at least guarantee it for a couple.

Our local animal shelter has many cats, he just prefers to put them down. Liz, he put down 67 last week. There are at least ten that I know of in foster care at several of the advocates place. Joe is a jerk in all ways.

There is a couple of litters at the vets, the farriers wife is fostering 6 or so and then there is the one dumped at the store as well. I have a gorgeous feral cat here, would have to trap it though. Gorgeous of course.

And now that Scooch and Liam are off the job, ya just know that several new cats have taken up residence here. Cost me $100 dollars today for the darn flea and heartworm stuff.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Lori, thanks so much, I'll call ya later. We will definitely take the one you PM'd me about but TBH this place is so huge we could use even more - or that'd be one FAT barn cat! I'll call the vet too.

So folks I think we can assume the barn cat problem is solved! Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieNCritters View Post
    Oh how I wish we were closer! The place I board my horse is OVER-RUN with cats and kittens of all ages and colors (black, "blue," gray tabby, orange tabby, calico variations, white!) The problem was bad when I got there, but is ridiculous now. I think there are about 15 adult cats and 15 to 20 kittens, currently still increasing in numbers.

A couple of the boarders (me and another woman) and a woman who lives there (she rents a house from the BO) feed them, but none of us can really afford to have EVERYTHING done that all of them need. The BO does not care and does not get involved. Unfortunately none of them have had ANY vaccinations, and none of them are spayed or neutered (hence the problem!) A few are semi-feral, but the woman who lives there has most of them very tame. All of these kitties are located near Winston-Salem, NC if there is any way to get some to you. Any other takers?
    Here is a resource for free or low cost s/n clinics for feral cats:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#states

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    well duh, I just remembered who howard finster was.....isn't he dead? and do you have some of his art at your barn??
    Rev. Finster has indeed crossed the bridge, yes. But Paradise Gardens is still there.

AFAIK the barn has no Finster art, but I have some at home. The first road trip I ever took when I moved to GA almost 25 years ago was up here to Paradise Gardens!

Question

check with tall oaks on the\sport horse breeding forum;she rehabs barn cats until they find a home,check yourPMs; zwhere re s youlocated?
    pm
    s
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Check for signs at your local feed store and local pet stores.
    I was in a pet store last night and there were 3 litters of kittens, 4 adult cats, 1 ferret, a litter of teddy bear hampsters and 3 adult dogs all for free.
    Our local feed stores have bulletin boards that normally have kitties and cats.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeGrace View Post
    Here is a resource for free or low cost s/n clinics for feral cats:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#states
    THANK YOU for the info!

Your local freecycle can also be a source of kittens if it allows postings of pets (some don't).

http://www.freecycle.org
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

We're good to go on the barn cat front: 1 little Lucky kitty from Lori & 2 that came from the vet clinic. We named them Penny (for Penicillin) and Bute! They were happily chasing the "tail" of my hunting whip in the tack room when I left for the night! Thank you all!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief