The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is how my mares and foals are turned out for their GOV inspections. The mare is always braided, as is the foal. They are turned out the same as if they were going to a show; clipped, bathed, and not a spot of dirt to be found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaggieandLillyOldenburg2005.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	21423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaggieHeadInspection.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	21424  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPPED HER HALO View Post
    You can always come cheer us on since we'll be in your neck of the woods!
    Which inspection will you be at? I may just come

Definitely do your horses a favor and go the night before. Give them a chance to rest and relax. You don't want them so anxious that they won't stand still for the conformation evaluation or to be irritable, calling, etc. Besides, you may need more time than you expect to get your horses looking shiny after a trailer ride in the middle of June.

Want to know when the inspection starts then contact the host. They'll tell you.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

If I lived near the Inspection site I might bring them the morning of the inspection as some horses are more worn out by being away from home & don't rest well.
    One thing I do not do for the foals is show them the inspection area before they go in. I want them moving well & "up" not bored like "been there, done that".
    As for the baby halters I use the color best suited for the foal, black for bay/black/grey, brown for chestnut/brown. I love the rolled nose halters from Quillin. Really shows off a fine head & keep an assortment of all sizes & colors.
    And yes, make your horse absolutely glisten as though you were going into the biggest show in the world. I use spray whitener on the legs, spray on oils, shiny stuff on their faces, hocks, knees, ears. Always braid, etc. It's my chance to show off my horses like I'm proud of them!
    Ditton though on no show sheen for babies if you're going to brand. I make sure that area is very clean before branding & that no tail oil has gotten on the flank area.

I made the mistake of travelling to the inspection on the morning of.
    By the time it was time to go poor foal was tired fromt he journey, had not had a good lie down because she had to be braided etc.
    When it came time to show her off she was lacklustre. The ones who lived at the inspection, or had come in the night before, had not been put out that day and came out like little rockets and showed themselves and all their suspension. The moms were high, too and it helped the young ones.

What to do with the racoon period? (When they are shedding out their baby coat, starting around eyes?) How to make this presentable??

Does anybody has inputs on how to teach a foal to follow his dam ???? My babies are always really self-assured and even if I dont in any circumstances show them the inspection ring, they are either running everywhere instead of trotting nicely with mom, or go say hello to everybody and walk with that teenager attitude...
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

I don't know if it is just the Trakehner people but they do not care about raccoon eyes or any of that stuff you can't do anything about. This is not a show and they are looking at the substance and movement of the foal, not the "fluff" that you apply. They are very realistic and practical about the fact that these are babies with foal coats, etc. They should be clean and handled. Braiding is permitted but not required...most do braid the dam and foal though.

Can you lead your foal? If so, have someone lead the foal into the ring with the dam so the foal doesn't take off in another direction. The ATA encourages the foal to be off the lead the entire time in the ring. If the foal is very nervous about the strange surroundings it may follow the dam without a problem. When I took my mare and colt for inspection, my colt went off quietly exploring the grounds during the mare's conformation evaluation (colt was inspected later). When we moved off with the dam the colt came right back to her side and followed her. No problem and I believe it showed that my colt was very confident to leave his dam's side in strange surroundings he hadn't had a chance to so much as peek at.

I would ask some folks that have gone to your particular registry's inspections before about what the norm really is.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Default A couple of questions...

My GOV inspection is on Friday, and I have a couple of questions that weren't answered in the other posts:

1. My mare is a dressage-type pony, so is it okay if I do dressage button-braids, or should I do hunter braids anyway? If I do, I have some practicing to do...

2. She will be shown in a dressage bridle, as this is her type. Her bridle is a black rolled Otto Schumacher with a crank-flash noseband - is this okay? The rolled leather really shows off her head, so I'd like to use it if it is acceptable.

3. I don't like to shave muzzles or clip ears. I like to keep them au natural. I trim any really long hairs, as well as any protruding ear fuzzies, but the wiskers and ear hair serve a purpose, so I like to leave them. Is this okay? Because if I'm going to shave them off, I'll need to do it today so that she has a chance to get used to it. What do you think?

Thanks! She's the only pony at this inspection, as far as I know, so here's to her rocking the GOV!!
    Designer Sport Ponies...never go out of style!
    **Breeding quality riding ponies for dressage and sport**
    www.designersportponies.com - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I never shave or clip muzzles. I never shave the inside of ears. However, I do pull the long hairs inside the ears outside and fold the ears closed and then clip the long hairs even with the edge of the ear for neatness so they don't look like they have old grandfather ears with hairs sprouting out. This keeps the hairs inside to keep out bugs but significantly improves the 'neatness' factor.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Yes, the dressage braids and rolled bridle are fine. Good luck!
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

We've hosted OldNA inspections - this year will be our 14th year.

Here's my recommendations:

1. PRACTICE with the mare and have people help you so that the mare is used to having someone assist with sound or waving something to get her to move out. Have someone video tape you so you can see where your weaknesses are in handling.
    2. APPEARANCE OF THE HORSE - Clean, well groomed, type of braids doesn't matter, any nice bridle is fine, unbuckle the reins so if the mare gets away from you she doesn't step on them and break your bridle.
    3. APPEARANCE OF THE HANDLERS - Dress correctly - nothing is worse than having a really nice mare and/or foal presented and handlers that are a distraction. So check yourself out in what you plan to wear and also wear sport undergarments - you will be running. And make sure your clothes and SHOES will allow you to run.
    4. PRESENTATION OF THE HORSE - Take you time - don't rush and get the horse nervous. Walk in and if you can walk around close to the triangle. We allow the next horse to enter and walk around the triangle before standing the horse up.
    CONFORMATION EVALUATION - stand the mare correctly and if she isn't correct step her back - don't pull her forward or the shoulder won't be right and she won't be under herself.
    WALK - this is ALWAYS where people can pick up a better score. DON'T RUSH - Make sure you are set holding the horse correctly and stride of with good big strides and try to swing wide around the turns to keep the mare relaxed and walking forward with good swing.
    TROT - Again - prepare and think forward and don't hold the reins in a way that will pull the mare back. If you can't stride out with her at a big trot - USE A HANDLER THAT CAN.
    STAND THE MARE UP AGAIN. Too many people wander around or don't use that last stand up for the Judge to look the mare over again. Very often they see a better stance and can give the mare higher marks.

WAIT for the Judge to score the mare - stand facing her holding the reins - say thank-you and walk out when directed.

For the FOAL - if you do braid - DON'T MAKE THE BRAIDS TIGHT. We have seen time and time again where people braid babies and then they come in and spend the entire time twisting their necks with their nose down because they can't stand it and they don't score as well as they could. We personally never braid our foals - we will trim the manes a little if they are uneven but we like the "stand up" look. Taking off the halter is optional - if you can't catch the foal easily consider leaving it on.

We never clip face hair - especially on babies and youngsters - they NEED those feelers to keep from hitting their face.

Don't worry about the foals molting a little - the judges understand that they shed out and they aren't scoring their coat. We've found the best grooming aide for shedding the milk hair off foals are those dark gray pumice blocks that were used in the past for removing bot eggs. You can find them at every tack store - for some reason they really help shed that fuzz off.

We now have a covered arena so flies are not a problem but when we did have our inspections outside we would stripe a line of War Paint down the spine of the mare and foals from whithers to tail. It's not noticeable there and it does work.

AGAIN - make sure you are ready, make a professional appearance to show you are serious about presenting your mare and foal, prepare them and RELAX, BREATH and DON'T RUSH.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by risingstarfarm View Post
    A big inspection don't - Don't use showsheen on babies that will be branded.

Poof - fire!
    OMG! lol Poor babies. It would not of crossed my mind of the poof -fire! Duly noted!
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I pity the person and foal who discovered the Show Sheen pyro effect!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    I pity the person and foal who discovered the Show Sheen pyro effect!
    I saw that on a foal last year and the flames were pretty big.
    Cloverfox Stables

Default 1st Impressions at inspections

If you are presenting foals, I learned the best thing last year. Start using Skin so soft/water mixture and spray them with it. (it also acts as a fly spray) about 45 days before the inspection. It helps loosen the "foal hair". After a week or so, give a bath, and you will start getting rid of that molting look. By the time of the inspections not only will your foal have a beautiful coat, it will shine and be fly free!!! My mares & foals live out 24/7 and the inspector commented that he had never seen nicer coats on my mares and foals.

A tip for the mares. Have a saddle repair shop make you a "rein" with small snapps at each end (no need for a buckle). Use as wide of leather as you like. You can show them in hand and when it is time for liberty for the mare, all you have to do is unsnap and go. No fussing with trying to get the reins unbuckled and it is fast to reattach.. I think my rein cost $5.00 and I have used it for years.

Prepare both the foal and mare the best you possibly can. Start 3 or 4 days before with the clipping, I always bathe a few days before, just incase the weather is bad or too cold the day before. (We have been known to have snow in Sept) If the weather is OK, then they get a touch up the day before. If the mare is good braid her the night before but do the baby that morning. They will rub out braids before you know it!!! Take lots of rags, fly spray (or skin so soft stuff) and coat their hooves with baby oil right before you leave for the ring. Actually peanut oil works the best but it is sometimes hard to find. You can also put a tiny bit of oil around the muzzle and eyes to bring a "snap" to their face. . Remember 1st impressions are important. Look professional, dress professional and have the horses turned out like they are at the Olympics!!

Quote Originally Posted by krfarms View Post
    A tip for the mares. Have a saddle repair shop make you a "rein" with small snapps at each end (no need for a buckle). Use as wide of leather as you like. You can show them in hand and when it is time for liberty for the mare, all you have to do is unsnap and go. No fussing with trying to get the reins unbuckled and it is fast to reattach.. I think my rein cost $5.00 and I have used it for years.
    This was going to be my question. I'm preparing for the ISR/Oldenburg NA inspections at Hilltop in August. I reserved a handler and braider and stall because I don't want to worry about any of that, especially since it's my first time. I want to put my mare in her nice hunter bridle since she looks best in that. Instead of getting custom rains, can you just get those "jumper snap leadropes" that have two snaps on a chain that connect and then turn into the leather lead? Or is it better to give them reins?

My foal will be 2 months old (I know, I was really hesitant about going but Natalie said 2 months would be minimum but will probably be OK), are those figure-eight halters OK or should I get a regular one?

All this advice is great, keep it coming!
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I've put clip-on snaps onto the ends of my reins before. It works fine and is cheap. These are the ones I used because that was all I could find at the time and they were smaller that other options. I bought mine from a local tack shop but they look something like this. You can find them in nickel or brass to match your tack. http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...CMSCMMVAPQ0UL7

But then I went and bought a yoked lead line from Quillin. It is more expensive than buying just snaps to put on your reins but it is very nice, excellent quality. http://quillin.com/jshop/product.php...583d7bed1048a0
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Birmingham, AL

Oldenburg does not let you show the mare at liberty, so don't worry about the snap/rein if you are going there. Also, don't worry about the foal halter, pull it off when you let the foal show at liberty.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Thanks IHF, I forgot about that. Should I still get a nicer halter for the foal (for when it comes in and out) even though it will be turned loose?

My mare normally goes in a D-ring as a hunter. Is that OK or should I stick her in my gelding's loose-ring? What about happy-mouth or rubber versus all metal?

Would tail braiding make us stand out in a bad way?
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

Oldenburg inspectors don't care what kind of bridle or bit your mare is in, as long as it is a English-type snaffle bridle. You can use black or brown, rolled or flat, regular cavesson, with or without flash, loose ring, D-ring, eggbutt, etc. Some people remove the noseband entirely for mares with a pretty head.

You can trim the muzzle and ears if you wish, but many mares are presented in Germany "au naturel" and the inspectors will not penalize a mare for not being trimmed. Same with babies although I never advocate trimming foal whiskers (don't even do it on my adult horses's muzzles!).

Don't braid the tail, though. You can clean up the dock and/or bang the end of the tail, but I would leave the tail braiding for the hunter shows.