The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inspection Do's and Don'ts

Inspection time is approaching! What are your favorite grooming supplies and hints to make it the best possible presentation? I’ve got a pinto with a lot of white so I will be stocking up on Quic Silver but thought I’d see what your thoughts are on best sheen products, touch ups, hoof polishes etc. I figure with a lot of us first-timers on here we could all benefit from the suggestions of the regulars.
    Cloverfox Stables

Well, I'm not a first timer, but I go back and forth about bridles every year! I breed/show primarily jumpers; I don't have a dressage type bridle in the barn. In the past I've presented and shown in-hand in plain, hunter-type snaffle bridles. No one has ever said anything to me, but I'm almost the only one at the inspections that I attend who does not have the padded, dressage type (often black and white) bridle. Does this matter at all? I'm presenting an older mare to GOV this year and want her to have every advantage; if that bridle change will make a difference I will go out and buy one !
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Hillside- We almost always have our horses in Hunter bridles and hunter braids. We never had anyone say anything negative only comments like this one will be an excellent hunter..lol! We attend AHS, GOV, and Rpsi inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by monami View Post
    Hillside- We almost always have our horses in Hunter bridles and hunter braids. We never had anyone say anything negative only comments like this one will be an excellent hunter..lol! We attend AHS, GOV, and Rpsi inspections.
    I'm glad to hear that, I will just keep doing what I'm doing! Honestly, for this mare the plain brown hunter bridle looks much better than a black or black/white bridle.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I'm glad to hear that, I will just keep doing what I'm doing! Honestly, for this mare the plain brown hunter bridle looks much better than a black or black/white bridle.
    Good to know! My mare is being inspected too (OLD) and I wasn't sure if I should use her dark brown hunter bridle or my spare black dressage bridle from my old horse. My colt has a nice brown leather halter with a brass nameplate and a matching leather chain lead.
    Cloverfox Stables

A big inspection don't - Don't use showsheen on babies that will be branded.

Poof - fire!

I wouldn't worry too much about the type of bridle as I have never seen Oldenburg (GOV) inspectors show a marked preference for one type or color over another. If your mare has a really pretty head, you can even forego the cavesson.

I think it does look nice and professional however for mares and foals to be braided, even if the mare isn't being inspected. Some foals have very wispy manes though and are hard to braid. If this is the case with your foal, then you can skip the braiding. I also think the foals look really cute with banged tails.

The main thing is to make sure the mares and foals are clean and look well cared for. Some mares are going to be pulled down by their foals but the inspectors are used to seeing that.

One other thing - don't wait until the last minute to have the feet trimmed. We had a nice Paparazzo foal at our inspection last year that had been trimmed the day before by a new farrier and was cut so short he was footsore. And make sure the mare's feet are tidied up, too. We've seen a few broodmares at our inspections that were in serious need of trims.

Glad you brought this up!

How about the whole braiding thing? I will be doing it myself. My mare is fine and I was planning on braiding her the night before and then doing the baby in the morning.

I figured they start so early, I may not have time to do both and I don't want to feel rushed.

Also, my mare will be inspected with Old NA, and she is a very flat kneed hunter type, should I practice a bigger trot with her, so when she trots the triangle, she won't look too dull?

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Glad you brought this up!

How about the whole braiding thing? I will be doing it myself. My mare is fine and I was planning on braiding her the night before and then doing the baby in the morning.

I figured they start so early, I may not have time to do both and I don't want to feel rushed.

Also, my mare will be inspected with Old NA, and she is a very flat kneed hunter type, should I practice a bigger trot with her, so when she trots the triangle, she won't look too dull?
    I'm going to try and go with the least stressful route. I've already reserved our stall and submitted all the paperwork a month ago to hold our spot and the inspection is still 2 months away. I'm paying for a professional braider and handler so I can sit back and watch my horses perform. They'll go to the inspection the night before after I bathe them etc.
    Cloverfox Stables

All of ours move like good hunters. They have no knee but a lot of impulsion (which is the important piece) so I would practice working on the impulsion piece in hand. Our Tb mare was the hardest one to do since she had only ever been jogged on the line in the past so she was not so good at trotting in hand and even worse when let loose (ran like a maniac because she was loose..lol!!) She still got scores good enough for MMB but it was certainly not her best day by far!

We usually braid the moms at home (the night before) and the foals at the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPPED HER HALO View Post
    Inspection time is approaching! What are your favorite grooming supplies and hints to make it the best possible presentation? I’ve got a pinto with a lot of white so I will be stocking up on Quic Silver but thought I’d see what your thoughts are on best sheen products, touch ups, hoof polishes etc. I figure with a lot of us first-timers on here we could all benefit from the suggestions of the regulars.
    When you think you are all done and he looks perfect, run a dryer sheet over him.. !!

For the babies, you can just use braid-etts to capture the hair. Even though babies don't have much mane (depending on age) they still look very sharp with their mane contained.

PS - Don't showsheen or condition manes to be braided, do make sure forelock has been combed before braiding.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

My colt wasn't even long enough to braid.. We just kind of rolled each little piece up into a ball and wrapped a band around it... tried to space it perfectly. It looked very neat and clean.

Here's a pic of him...

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...NuggetTrot.jpg
    Last edited by hessy35; Jun. 11, 2008 at 05:13 PM.

I think the bridle should match the TYPE of horse you are presenting - if a hunter type, present in a hunter (brown, narrow) bridle. If dressage type, in a dressage bridle. Generally, for the weanlings or yearlings, you just want a nice leather halter. For a pinto - if he is B&W, use a black bridle, if brown and white, a brown bridle, - why through more colors into the mix!

For showing, I keep a bottle of the Cowboy Magic green spot remover on hand, and some paper towels. Last minute green spots - a little squirt, rub, and blot, and they are gone, poof, magic!

I like to see braids, it makes the neck look nicer, and a banged tail, even on a baby. Worm them about 15 to 30 days ahead of time too. If possible, practice trotting in hand, and IF possible, haul them out a time or two before, so they aren't quite as nervous about things (especially the babies).

Good luck - enjoy - bring a camera or camcorder!

Our inspection isn't until October! My colt will be 8 months and weaned by then, so I am sure I should be able to braid his mane by then! (I will practice a few times first!)

I haven't contacted the sight yet, but will soon to make sure they have a stall or two for Gracie, and Ace.

They told me I didn't have to do the DNA test even thought they will be shown seperate. (I actually e-mailed Old NA and saved it!) All Ace has to do I think is run in the arena? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FriesianX View Post
    I think the bridle should match the TYPE of horse you are presenting - if a hunter type, present in a hunter (brown, narrow) bridle. If dressage type, in a dressage bridle. Generally, for the weanlings or yearlings, you just want a nice leather halter. For a pinto - if he is B&W, use a black bridle, if brown and white, a brown bridle, - why through more colors into the mix!

For showing, I keep a bottle of the Cowboy Magic green spot remover on hand, and some paper towels. Last minute green spots - a little squirt, rub, and blot, and they are gone, poof, magic!

I like to see braids, it makes the neck look nicer, and a banged tail, even on a baby. Worm them about 15 to 30 days ahead of time too. If possible, practice trotting in hand, and IF possible, haul them out a time or two before, so they aren't quite as nervous about things (especially the babies).

Good luck - enjoy - bring a camera or camcorder!

You can always come cheer us on since we'll be in your neck of the woods!
    Cloverfox Stables

is anyone going to the GOV/Weser inspection at Judy's place on June 18?

*^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

So, we are taking a mare to be inspected that has a pretty significant amount of white on her legs. We are unsure of what to do with the white. Will normal clipping of her legs cut it (just trim so she looks neat) or do we clip all the white and baby powder it? Is this too over the top?

*I thought about making an alter so no one would judge me but I decided I would ask and hope for indulgence of a newbie's question *
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Do -

Contact the host site early and reserve stalling, get directions, get put on the braider's and/or handler's lists, ask about refreshments, videographer, photographer,etc.
    Bathe
    Braid
    Trim long hairs on legs (always seems to be missed and yet is very important to a polished look)
    Trim flyaway hairs at dock of tail and bang tail
    Feet recently trimmed
    Present in clean bridle with loose ring snaffle, buckle snaps onto ends of reins for easy removal of reins
    Take halter off foal during the at liberty phase
    If it is an option, stay the night before to allow the mare & foal to settle in
    Have the necessary paperwork ready
    Have mare & foal in good flesh

Don't -

Have feet trimmed within a couple of days of the inspection
    Use show sheen
    Show the foal the area that they will be presented in
    Work the freshness out of your mare
    Worry about sunbleaching or pasture dings ... the judges want to see horses that live in pastures not stalls

eyesontheground, this isn't necessary for the European inspection judges. They shake their heads at some of the things that we do.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

One question, my foal will be over 8 months at inspection and already weaned, is it still better for me to get 2 stalls for them overnight, or just bring them both in the morning?

I plan on braiding them myself, but time wise will probably do the mare at night and foal in the morning. What time do inspections normally start?