The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face oh the joys of foal watch *updated* filly arrives and minor tragedy unfolds

So...here I sit. Watching a big bay mare pace around her stall. I am second guessing myself! Is that a contraction?! No...she is twitching at flies. Why is her head down...is she looking to go down?! Oh...she is munching on hay. Wait...how many times has she peed tonight?! Oh god!! Why is it that when I watch everyone else's on marestare and the like I can sit calmly and enjoy the drama unfold. This one doesn't even belong to me!!!! Ahhh!!! She belongs to my friend who had to go out of town (sucky timing but what can you do). So I have moved to the country for the week.

Seriously, she is looking very restless tonight but she is still 10 days out (I know, I know...she could go whenever).

Anyone else doing this craziness still?

(At least it has cooled down some...it was hot hot hot until we got a ton of rain today!)
    Last edited by eyesontheground; Jun. 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

I'm in the panhandle of FL (it HAS cooled down a little!) and am doing the same thing with Cory tonight... sigh
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

so I just tuned in to check on Cory and it concerns me a little that you think she might go tonight and mine looks 10X more agitated than her lol . granted little miss boston is kind of a priss about everything. i think i will be up late tonight...let me know if you wanna chat about the weather, cooking, current books you are reading, movies you have seen etc...

talking to the dog gets old after awhile...
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

LOL, I hear you - my dog has given up on me and gone to bed without me!!! LOL.

I honestly don't know if she'll go tonight, but this is her 3rd foal. She is normally very much a princess about everything, but when she foals, she will do some belly kicks/pacing etc, but pretty much she just gets real calm. Tonight she has done ALL of that, and has also sat on walls... the tail is pretty extreme for her tonight too... so we'll see. When I went to check on her (actually went out to give a shot to a mare and checked in on Cory) she had a slight sweat on her flanks and shoulders - but it is humid out so it could be that. But it is in the low 70's right now (hallalueigh!!!!)
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Miss Boston contiunes her pacing and her shifty moments of standing. Last night she was a dream child, eating and napping etc. She had a little hay left from dinner when I checked her at about 10:30 but she hasn't done anything but lip it since then. Since I stared typing this one up she has settled. I am going to take this oppurtunity to close my eyes and set my alarm clock for a few minutes of nap myself. Have a great night!

Eyesontheground, It's June 11th where you are but only June 10th here in Ca. I'm on foal watch for my last 2 mares. Both had predict-a-foal kit readings that said they should foal 2 days ago. Both have milk that tastes sweet, both have dropped, both had waxed up yesterday but tonight Faunja is dripping a little milk and has a loose stool. So I know it will be tonight, but my friend on the phone called me a liar, in sweet spirit, because I've been saying that for the last 2 nights. Last year Faunja had me sleep with her for 2 straight weeks.

Dang girls....lets do this! I want to sleep in my own bed.
    Last edited by misita; Jun. 11, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

The divine miss B has had a pretty exciting night. Mucho pacing. At my 5:30 check she had backed up to a wall and sat down . Since then she has been pacing and rubbing the big booty on the wall. I think she is pretty much done with the theatrics for tonight and is waiting for breakfast to arrive. I still have not seen her go down (to sleep or otherwise).

Hope everyone elses night went well!

Quote Originally Posted by eyesontheground View Post
    The divine miss B has had a pretty exciting night. Mucho pacing. At my 5:30 check she had backed up to a wall and sat down . Since then she has been pacing and rubbing the big booty on the wall. I think she is pretty much done with the theatrics for tonight and is waiting for breakfast to arrive. I still have not seen her go down (to sleep or otherwise).

Hope everyone elses night went well!
    Wow, she sounds really close. Someone is going to watch her during the day today right?? Cory finally went down at around 3:30 am, but if your mare hasn't been down, is rubbing her rear end that much and is pacing like that I wouldn't go anywhere right away.... Good LUCK!!!!

lol, oh yeah...i think we are getting close. when i checked on her this morning after breakfast her udder was looking very large and her vulva had gotten much longer over night. i am watching all day today...in fact the vet is coming out to preg check another mare so i told miss b she could feel free to go when the vet is here ;-)

i decided to go ahead and turn her out until it gets uber hot today and she is happily grazing. i had to run to the feed store and when i got back she tried to scare me by hiding in plain view in the shade .

last year when she went down it was def time...so i figure when she actually goes down it will be for real.

the super great news is that a transformer blew this morning and when the power came back on it did something to the well pump...no water...greeeeaaaat. a call is in to the well fixing dude so i guess i will be seeing him today too. hopefully we will have water later this afternoon. luckily the neighbors are nice and we have alot of hose...

Miss B is still holding on! She had about 2 hrs of what we will call - diva fits. Kicking, biting at her belly, lots of tail flailing, pacing, general angst. She was also trying to destroy her bucket in the process. She keeps backing up to it and leaning and rubbing. The funny thing is the camera is on the wall just above the bucket so anytime she gets going really wall the camera shakes and shakes and shakes. Just before I went to sleep at about midnight last night she took a deep breath and started eating. She continued to eat and nap calmly for the rest of the night. If nothing else this allowed me to get some decent sleep! She is looking like maybe she is gonna hold on until her mother gets back!! Two more days.

still no baby! but we are getting close...ok, i say that every night but we can only be getting closer right?

after work today she got a bath and hand grazed while we watched her buddies have a jumping lesson (one of them her night time barn buddy may and the other her bff breezy)

so, she has a considerable sized udder, elongation of the vulva, a VERY jiggly butt and is starting to be sweet and cuddly...

her mother comes home tomorrow late and i have to go get her from the airport so murphys law says she will go then when the backup foal watcher is on duty...

I had a foal born Wed at 6pm.
    The maiden mare had NO, i repeat, NO bag Tues. Tues evening it had gotten bigger and I was able to do a foalwatch test on it. It was 125. No I had no reference point. Was this a BIG jump, or not?? So we just put her in the stall and I watched her on the cam during the night. She mostly ate and slept.

Wed early we kept watching and she kept eating and sleeping. She had wax and since I knew she was going I did not do another test on her.

Wed at 5:40 I saw her paw two times. Something new. She never paced, looked at her stomach, layed down, streamed milk or acted in ANY WAY different until the paw. I was at the house (it was a huge thunder storm). I jumped into the car and drove the few feet to the barn (lightning) and parked the car in the barn. I got there, she did one turn and went down. Looked at my watch. It was 5:50. The foal was out by 5.56.
    This was not a drama queen. And she was a maiden.
    Do the foal watch (Chemetrics) and it will save you many sleepless nights!!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

We are actually trying out the pool test strip method (mostly just to see how it does...not actually sold on it yet). She had a pretty big increase (maybe decrease? I cant remember from chem...boy I feel dumb...the number got smaller) in pH and the hardness number went up alot tonight too.

Quote Originally Posted by eyesontheground View Post
    We are actually trying out the pool test strip method (mostly just to see how it does...not actually sold on it yet). She had a pretty big increase (maybe decrease? I cant remember from chem...boy I feel dumb...the number got smaller) in pH and the hardness number went up alot tonight too.
    Usually when that happens it is imminent (like within 24 hrs). That has been my exp this year at least.

Sugarbrook - that is normally the way Cory is... just fine but uncomfortable, then WHAM! baby coming. LOL.

I think Miss B and Cory are in cahoots. You dont think they have been chatting do you? Last night they looked little bay and chessy duplicates of each other lol.

Last year Miss B went on Mothers Day...maybe she is waiting for another parental holiday to get on with it lol.

So...after a week of very boring evening checks and totally no change in her milk/udder/hindend...

Last night Miss B actually laid down for a period of time and moaned and pretended like she was going to have a ba-by. Of course, real clothes were put back on and we got ready and she got up, started eating, and nothing!

So, here we sit, watching and waiting. Her pH was between 6.1 and 6.4 tonight (yay!) and her hindend is uber jiggly. She has been pacing and pawing and biting at her belly and only picking at her food for the entire night. Luckily it is the weekend and all of the crew is here...taking turns napping on the couch and watching the monitor. Kinda made it into a party. Complete with snacks! I keep wanting to make brownies but I know if I get up and start mixing them I will put them in the oven and Miss B will go down . Maybe I should have made the brownies hours ago...

I am the only one out of 4 foaling attendents still up...big sigh. At least I got plenty of sleep last night...oh wait...I didn't lol. She faked us out big time last night!

Anyway, anyone up doing this or am I all alone?

ETA: She skipped fathers day for the summer soltice maybe?
    Last edited by eyesontheground; Jun. 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM.

He He He...Miss B is doing these mini rears and circles all over the place. Who knew our fat girl could jump?! Wish this was broadcast on the web!

My Chenin Blanc mare had a nice filly by Silvio at 2:30. Right on time actualy but everything else was so late this year I was lucky to catch it. Maiden mare who seems to be approaching motherhood with the same lack of motivation she has demonstrated throughout her life. She wouldn't push the baby out, then she wouldn't lick it until I shoved some placenta up her nose. Then she was so uncomfortable she managed to get cast while I was looking for the Banamine. I gave the baby some colostrum from the freezer, now I will see how it goes. I expect her to get with the program about the time we wean the foal.

It has been one heckuva day...

First, the super fantastic news...Miss B finally had her baby. After leading us on all night she decided to have the baby out in the field today between 10 and 10:45 am. The new arrival is a dark bay filly with three socks and a big blaze. All the white was a total surprise because momma has white on one heel and a star and daddy (Rosenthal) has not so much white either. She was standing in the field when her human momma found her and she nursed with no problem. We could not have asked for a more perfect little filly!!

Picture is of the filly just after being discovered in the field.
    http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/593...drfillydr1.png

Then the not so great news...right as we got momma and baby back inside the bottom dropped out and we got a ringer of a storm. The baby ended up soaking wet and cold because the rain was coming in side ways down the aisle. As we were trying to keep momma and baby mostly dry and warm, lightening struck on the property. We knew it was close but didn't realize how close until I went back up to the house to get the truck keys and move it. Walking into the house I got the feeling something was not quite right. Turns out the tree in the back yard either got hit by lightening or the blowing wind or some combination of both and ended up crashing through one end of the house on to the second bedroom and bathroom (occupied by the barn owners roommate/boarder at the farm). The tree also fell onto (but didn't damage...just blocked) the fence and gate of one of the pastures. This pasture contained the yearling and the 6 yr old...both of who seemed no worse the wear. All of the sudden momma and baby were taking a backseat to the emergency unfolding at the house. Luckily, no one except for the BO's dog was in the house and she is doing well and was not in the part of the house with the tree. Good news...no one got hurt...no people, no horses, no dogs, no cats...everyone is ok. Bad news...the house is currently unlivable. We divided and concurred leaving someone in the barn with momma and baby making sure everything was good and sending everyone else to the house to try to get things out of the second bedroom and figure out the course of action. The landlord offered one of his other properties for the BO and the roommate to stay in until they get everything figured out. Luckily it is just across the pasture from the now very airy old house. First we moved the super important items and then called in reinforcements to move everything else. Within a couple of hours just about everything was out of the house. The roommate is staying with her boyfriend until everything gets settled and the BO is staying on my couch for the night. We could use some jingles for the BO and her roommate. Thank god for good friends, generous landlords (how often does that happen), and cute babies to remind us how great and precious life is!

The erie thing...if Miss B had foaled last night or early this morning we could have for sure been sitting in the house congratulating ourselves on a great baby and cooking a late breakfast. The roommate stood in the barn watching it rain before making her way to the house and then got distracted by the new arrival in the barn...otherwise she would have been back in bed taking a post ride nap on a rainy Saturday afternoon. We have so much to be thankful for today.

Wow eyesontheground, thats got the making of a great mini-series! Congrats on a beautiful baby!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."