The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEA Intro To Eventing Clinic

Mary Bess Sigman is hosting another Intro to Eventing clinic on July 12th from 8:00am - 1:00pm at her farm - Triple Creek Eventing in Mansfield, GA. There are only 9 slots available so please sign up quickly - this was very successful in March - love to see some new faces out there!

Thanks!

You can contact me for more info - indiawatson@comcast.net

Yay! I'm glad you're keeping these going!

ETA: Here is the link about the one that was held in February:
    http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=136243

My advice is:

GO GO GO!!!

It was great, and Im kind of jealous I can't go again!
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

I'm going! I was supposed to go to the last one, but had to miss it due to nasty weather, long drive, issues with farmsitter, it was a mess!
    But I'll be there this time!
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Don't think I'll make it, but just curious...is this clinic appropriate for green horses, but knowledgable event riders? Or is it mostly a clinic to teach riders how to become eventers? It sounds interesting.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Don't think I'll make it, but just curious...is this clinic appropriate for green horses, but knowledgable event riders? Or is it mostly a clinic to teach riders how to become eventers? It sounds interesting.
    I second that question. What is the stated purpose of this clinic?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The purpose of the clinic originally was to invite non-eventers into the sport - I am on the USEA Marketing Committee and having come from the hunters - I thought that creating a non-threatening environment for riders from other disciplines would be a great way to dispell the idea that we are all riding Rolex size fences. The goal is to create a turnkey clinic plan so that anyone interested can get the information off the USEA website and do their own clinic. The first clinic was a huge success - we had dressage, hunter, competiton trail and wanna be eventer riders participate. All riders left feeling more confident and a closer bond with their horse (info from the post clinic surveys). We had a dressage trainer come and do private lessons and then Mary Bess did the gridwork and XC in small groups. We had a very successful weekend with lots of requests to hold another.

This clinic is open to more than the Intro riders - we have one group that are more experienced with green horses and the other is a true intro group. We are still in the learning stage of what works and what we can improve on before I create the turnkey "kit." for the USEA. I have been helping people one on one in other states put together their own clinics in the meantime and would be happy to help anyone organize one.

You need an eventing trainer, grid work area and XC area with small jumps - we ended up putting standards with crossrails out in the XC area to simulate the feeling of going cross country for the riders who haven't jumped. This seemed to help them mentally knowing that the jumps would fall down - but they could practice galloping around the XC course (some for the first time out of a ring).

I am happy to help anyone off line if you would like my input!

Thanks!

I rode in the first clinic and had so much fun, as well as a wonderful dose of "you can do this again..." This time I'm gonna be handing out water, setting jumps, and being cheerleader as Rasta is moving into Mary Bess' farm for the next four weeks or so (I'm not good at my "family" being anywhere but HOME!) while I have some weeks free from work.

Here's a link to the first clinic's fun:

http://useventing.com/blog/?p=137
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Okay, so it's exactly what I thought it was. Makes sense.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

(Little song) I'm going, I'm going, I'm going! (End little song)

I'm excited - I wanted to go to the first one in February, and then I saw this one again, and was excited until I saw the date (no good). But then plans changed, and now I get to go! I am WAY super excited!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    (Little song) I'm going, I'm going, I'm going! (End little song)

I'm excited - I wanted to go to the first one in February, and then I saw this one again, and was excited until I saw the date (no good). But then plans changed, and now I get to go! I am WAY super excited!
    You'll have a super time! Bessie is thorough, analyzes horse/rider needs in a positive way, and gives you lots of feedback and options.

I'm part of the jump crew this time - Rasta is in full training with Aunt Mary Bess til the end of July, so we are watching pennies. Will happily take pics, hold/hand water, set jumps - whatever. Glad you're coming!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Guess who else is coming with a draft X greenie?

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    Guess who else is coming with a draft X greenie?
    Oh please tell me YOU!!!!! Will you and SO and dear draft X greeenie need places to sleep? Run For It Farm is at your disposal!!!! EXCITEMENT!!!!!

A COTH picture is a must - A Rasta and Destiny pic for sure!

Thanks for the roof over our heads, RFI!! I'll take you up on it... and let you know how many heads. We'll take lots of pics.

Hmmm. . .I may just have to dust off the trailer for this! Sounds like it could be quite a fun time! If anyone would be interesting in ride sharing from SC, let me know.

Hopefully, this sort of thing will take off. The other thread mentioned trying to get one in Aiken (which would be ideal for me!).
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

LL - can't wait for you to come to the clinic - I can give you all of the info on how to set one up in Aiken - very easy and you have so many great trainers there and facilities. I would be happy to help you set it up and come over to help run it. The USEA is super supportive and provides all the insurance, releases etc.

We are also going to go schooling (hopefully at PTF - need to set it up with Glenn) on Sunday the 13th if anyone wants to stay Saturday night and go with us- RunForIt is going to set up a fun dinner for the clinic gang and we will school early on Sunday because of the heat so you can all be on your way back home by noon at the latest.

I will send out all paperwork by the weekend to everyone who has contacted me...we have a GREAT group so far - 3 spots still open!

Big fun ahead! There's no way I'm missing out on going to Pine Top - green horse and gray rider will be there! SOOOOOO, dear CookiePony, you WILL get to ride at PTF - maybe we can get 3dazey to come join us! as the date gets closer, and a list of the folks coming to the clinic is made, I'll contact everyone to see if/where you'd like to have supper...restaurant, or maybe burgers at the lake? I'm really excited about getting to take Rasta to Pine Top so SOON!

I wish we had something just like this in Michigan!! It sounds so non-threatening and fun!

Question - especially for those who have gone before:

Would you suggest bringing

A) My 12 yo mare who has shown jumpers, a very little bit of dressage, and done some cross-country jumping (but has never evented), or

B) My 4 yo gelding who has only done a few cross-rails, but is pretty decent on the flat and more naturally athletic than my mare?

I think either one would be good, but what would you do/suggest?
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.