The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, for those that keep track, what are your breeding costs so far???

Just curious, mine are at $2904.47. This includes the cultures, and flushes at the beginning of the year after loosing a foal last year, includes board etc(as unless you have your own place that is included in the factor), stud fee to Schroeder, trimming for the mare(I'm leasing her), all other included vet costs including regu-mate and mare plus. The result, a confirmed pregnancy to Schroeder on the first try.

Red face More than I expected, to say the least!

I have been keeping track, but I don't have the exact figure in front of me. I'm at about $3400 so far, give or take. And this is before her 14-day preg check next week. Pretty shocking, that's all I can say - this (of course) is turning out to be a LOT more expensive than I prepared myself for! This includes 2 doses frozen semen, tank rental, FedEx shipping, 2 rounds prostaglandin, 14 ultrasounds, culture & cytology (fortunately both clean), flushing, insemination, and 12 days stabling at the clinic. If my mare wasn't so F%&*$ing elusive about her heat cycles, this would not have cost me quite so much, but oh well. Jingles that she takes on the first try and I still have a dose of semen left for later!!!!

Edited to add: She checked IN FOAL today, on only half a dose, so I still have 1 1/2 doses left for future breeding, which I guess spreads the cost out a *tiny* bit!
    Last edited by Dressage (Pea)Nut; Jun. 20, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: to update current status
    Designer Sport Ponies...never go out of style!
    **Breeding quality riding ponies for dressage and sport**
    www.designersportponies.com - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I can't calculate mine yet as my vets office is very behind in billing. So far I have only seen a couple hundred dollars in charges. Also, I don't have anyone confirmed in foal, so my stallion owners and I haven't reconciled the books of if I owe for additional collections of if the original money and deposits will cover possible additonal costs. We hope to be breeding a mare this week(end), so the bill is still growing.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Oh gosh, you're going to make me to do math I probably don't want to see. We are breeding 6 mares this year.

Stud Fees: ~5400

Semen Collections and Shipments (FedEx): $1383

Breeding Vet Bills (u/s, inseminations, cultures/biopsy): $4250 (some bills haven't come in yet).

We have tried multiple times with two mares, and all but one mare has been bred at least once. Two are awaiting preg checks.

Total costs thus far, and not even close to finished this year: $11,033

We have two mares confirmed in foal.

Now, if the two who are in limbo check in foal next week, it will make the costs a little more justifiable!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Signature is not even including hospital bills for 2 of our foals this year!!! YIKES! I personally don't even like to know.. I want to live in denial so Signature does our bill..lol

I don't have vet bills, we have a vet in the immediate family. So...

Stud fees: $6277 (One $2000 stud fee I pay next year when the foal is born)

Collection fee's: (Also for my stallion) $1925 (and still counting)

Fed Ex: Around $150 (we have only had one shipment, the other stallions are close enough to pick up, still counting on this as well)

We are at $8262

We have the three mares bred to my Welsh confirmed. They are between 20 days, and 3 1/2 months pregnant.

We just had the mare being bred to Escudo II confirmed at 16 days last night.

The mare to Fabuleux was bred for the first time last Saturday.

Havn't yet bred one of the mares, she didin't take with Frozen.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I think I am around $5-6000 so far but I don't have anything confirmed yet. I'm not keeping track at this point.

Edited: This is for 3 mares so it's not too bad, but 1 hasn't even been bred yet! I do not have all of my bills either. I have bred 2 mares so far. One was pregnant at 16 days & not at 32 & was rebred last night. The other was bred once, wasn't in foal & then ovulated quicker than anticipated over the weekend. We will short cycle her & my other mare later this week for breedings next week.
    Last edited by spacely; Jun. 10, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Ouch. Feel your pain, I know a lot of folks are having trouble this year getting mares in foal. Hopefully things will turn around soon!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Don't ask, don't tell is my motto.

But last year was much worse. This year I have a lot to hope for for next year.

Depressing so far.....$3800 in stud fees, $2880 in vet and board, $550 fedex and collection and only one confirmed pregnancy. Oh....and I think a bazzilion dollars in diesel hauling the mares back and forth! Just shoot me!

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Don't ask, don't tell is my motto.

But last year was much worse. This year I have a lot to hope for for next year.
    Ditto this!
    I have never added this up and I'm not about to start now !
    I know it will just be depressing and I like breeding so I don't want to be depressed about it...
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Cheaper than a therapist!!!! but not by much!!

You gotta be kidding. Only my accountant knows for sure.

Ultrasound for foal-heat $40.
    Booking fee $200 (transferred from another mare last year)
    Ultrasound to see if in-foal $40
    Ultrasound to make sure not twins (first one was inconclusive) $40
    $30 fuel hauling mare to get covered

Mare caught on first cover, so this has been a great year so far.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

I'm not breeding this year, but for breeding my mare last year it cost me roughly $2,000 Luckily I got a huge discount having my mare bred at a friends place on the "bulk rate" she's charged by the vet. It only cost me $25 from UC Davis every time my mare was checked and I foaled out myself so no extra costs there.
    Cloverfox Stables

Quote Originally Posted by incahoots View Post
    Depressing so far.....$3800 in stud fees, $2880 in vet and board, $550 fedex and collection and only one confirmed pregnancy. Oh....and I think a bazzilion dollars in diesel hauling the mares back and forth! Just shoot me!
    That was my a couple of years ago. And two mares aborted, one almost died, and ended up with NO foals, and a huge vet bill and six months of meds for the mare.

This year, if I don't count all the training and promotion for my stallion it is much more reasonable, other than all the gas (at $5/gallon 6 gallons round trip each time) hauling him back and forth to the Stallion Station... I figure we are averaging about $4,000 in vet and collection costs, $1100 in outside stallion fee (I breed one or two outsiders even with my own boy), and 4 who have made it through positive 15 day checks (2 of those have also had 30 day heartbeat checks), and checking two more on Friday.

Of course, none of that includes feeding, worming, shots, trims, other vet care, etc. Oh yeah, buying the mares, buying the stallion, show fees, advertising, registration, inspections, blah, blah, blah.

OK, here is a new poll - who is getting rich breeding

I am breeding three ladies this year:

#1) Took first try with a total so far - $1,946.68.

#2) Didn't take first try...was reinseminated and will be scanned this Friday. Total so far - $2,225.40.

#3) Didn't take first try...was reinseminated and will also be scanned this Friday. Total so far - $1,787.45. The only reason this lady is so cheap with still not taking on the first try is because I bought her this spring and was given a free breeding to a stallion of my choice (less the collection/shipping costs), so that saved me $1,500!

Total that up, and you get - $5,959.53

As long as my other two take this Friday (or even one!) I will be a happy camper. If not...that's breeding!

I'll know mine in a few more days once we confirm if we're in foal! (fingers crossed). But my best guesstimate when all is said and done is somewhere around $1500 or so for one mare (if you incl stud fees).

This is a great thread - the other day on MySpace some girl was saying she wanted to breed her HYPP N/H mare b/c breeing is WAY cheaper than buying a foal or horse....I wanted to bang my head into a desk for a while. She should read this thread!

Total to date $3182 and counting!!

Vet bills = $2057
    • post foaling infection clean up $542,

• follicle checks and ultrasounds to be sure didn't have twins (2 large follicles ovulated within hours of each other) $1515

Frozen Semen = $1025 (semen and shipping)

And my drug bills (Regumate and Thyrol-L) through til foaling will be at least another $2000.
    SherryM
    WildSwan Hanoverians

It is posts like this that make me happy! :-) I've got my first 4 mares at home in foal on the first try, one including foal heat. Of course 2 want to go for the next round. :-(

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst