The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Former UL event horse needs light riding/trail home in So Cal

I need to find a light riding/trail home for my former Int/Adv event horse. He is a 16.2hh 19 yo Appendix QH gelding. Unfortunately, due to injuries and wear and tear he is no longer sound for competition or jumping. I love him and want him to spend his senior years happy and spoiled.

He is a special horse looking for a special person. He loves to be the center of attention and thinks he's still a youngster. He is so happy to be ridden and played with that he marches around, ears pricked, neck arched.

My ideal home for him would be an experienced adult amateur who would like to do light riding 3-4 days a week and do the occasional trail ride or dressage lesson. He likes to be fussed over and clips, ties, trailers, etc. My kids ride him in the round pen at the walk. He is safe, but I wouldn't recommend him for a beginner. He's too smart.

He goes in special, but not expensive, shoes in the front and needs to be in a dry stall/paddock during wet/muddy weather to prevent the buildup of mud in his feet. Otherwise, he thrives on a large in/out, paddock or pasture. I have him on the SmartPak senior supplement, but beyond that he's not medicated other than the occasional bute when he gets too excited in turnout.
    To an approved/forever home only.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ponylady27; Jun. 10, 2008 at 04:54 PM.