The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mid-atlantic Heat wave

OK--I just got in from my beasts and they are so unhappy in this heat. Of course--a horse that lives in Florida may be use to this terrible heat--but what about the horses that are going to the Olympics in a few months. I know several of these horses are not from the south---and this is terrible for them.

We have discussed this at length---but for those of us in this wave---have your views changed? It is easy to say that the heat isn't a big deal, when we have 40 degree temps. But now--it is June and we are not even at the hottest points in the summer.

I actually dropped my horse down a level yesterday---Of course, it did us no good. The blasted beast--ran/galloped the whole course. The poor jump judges watched me circle and walk after each jump but not w/o a fight. My red headed beast knows what to do out there FINALLY and it was his first event this year (we got off to a slow start) and he wants to do his job. He came in just fine. Not seeming any more hot or tired than any other day. However, this horse always goes like this. What about the horses that have a hard time. We had horses overheating standing around. (nothing serious--very mild and well cared for.)

When I came home @ lunchtime[ I feed lunch to the horses] everyone seemed to be fairing well even those living outside.When I came home from work the outside horses were sweating but still grazing.They came up and everyone got a shower and them misted with some Absorbine and flyspray.
    This is record breaking heat in our area this early in the season.I hate to see what July brings
    Oh, and we have a Gatorade hound and he gets his daily dose w/ his lunch.

Apollo and I did Novice for the first time on Sunday at Plantation. It was HOT, and I did sj/ xc about 12:45 pm. I went back and forth a lot on whether or not to scratch, not so much because I was worried about him in the heat, but because I was worried about me--I'm not great in it. I decided to run, and as it happens we did great, so yay for that. I did trot portions of the course, but even with that, he was pretty hot coming in--though not anywhere near distressed. I was really thrilled by how quickly he came back, although he was definitely tired afterward, the first time he ever has been. I was very hot, and very grateful that my friends insisted on taking him to walk, but after about 15 minutes and three bottles of gatorade/ water, I felt fine. And both of us are fine today--he's his usual bouncy self, and could totally show jump today if necessary. I think that upwards of 150 horses ran there, and AFAIK none of them had a problem--almost everyone seemed to have brought ice though, and there was a water truck readily available.

So, yes, I think that (with certain qualifications) I would probably run him at the Olympics (take note, Mark Phillips. PM me if you want me on the team!) Qualifications being that he and I were astronomically fit, prepared, healthy etc., that we would have fans, misting system, ice etc. at finish, and that there would be no standing around in the heat. Honestly, I think the three hours wait between dressage and sj were more brutal than the warming up, stadium, and going straight to xc.

We have temperatures well into the 90s in New England... not as bad as some of you, but this is most unusual for this time of year. We went from highs in the low 60s on Friday to upper 80s on Saturday. The horses and their humans are definitely feeling it! I didn't try to do anything with my mare yesterday, because between the heat and the flyspray-ignoring flies, she was miserable. I cleaned her stall, which opens into a paddock, because I was less busy than the woman she boards with. Normally I would put up a stall guard to keep her outside, but she was so unhappy outdoors that I let her stay in the stall while I cleaned it.

Stay cool everyone!

Ugh, what's killing me are the bugs!

It is always hot in TN this time of year...more so now but not by much. My horses all live out and they all have sheds which they completely ignore in favor of getting fat on grass so I take this to mean that are not THAT hot. But the bugs are insane! My new horse and I wound up galloping back to the barn at about 500MPM yesterday (not my usual training technique) because we were driven from the woods by swarms of the beasties. I am not leaving the ring again any time soon.

Yes, my views have been affected by this heat wave. I have only been hacking my horses out in this - and have felt guilty just doing that. I cannot imagine having to warm up a horse for an Olympic level dressage test, or run one over an advanced level XC course in this heat and humidity. It is going to be absolutely grueling.

I'm with flyingchange. I'm not competing this summer (I just wither in the heat), so I see no point of doing more than hacking around in this dreadful heat. I have a dressage clinic next Friday, so I'll do a bit of work this coming week to acclimate him a bit, but then we'll be going back to hacking.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

I did Area 3 Championships this weekend at Novice, and I was super worried about the heat. The worst was not running cross country, but the European footing there that gets super HOT and deep in the summer that horses went in for dressage and showjumping. My parents (grooms! ) were so much help, and we were doing a lot of extra handwalking and coldhosing on top of the norm because my horse had inflamed a minor cut by kicking a fence before we left. The other thing that I thought helped was that our championships are run over three days. Also I am lucky because my horse has lived in hot, humid TN his whole entire life. Anyways, he did great and recovered wonderfully, but I can't imagine doing an Olympic caliber course in the heat either.
    T3DE Pact

Quote Originally Posted by KBG Eventer View Post
    I did Area 3 Championships this weekend at Novice, and I was super worried about the heat. The worst was not running cross country, but the European footing there that gets super HOT and deep in the summer that horses went in for dressage and showjumping. My parents (grooms! ) were so much help, and we were doing a lot of extra handwalking and coldhosing on top of the norm because my horse had inflamed a minor cut by kicking a fence before we left. The other thing that I thought helped was that our championships are run over three days. Also I am lucky because my horse has lived in hot, humid TN his whole entire life. Anyways, he did great and recovered wonderfully, but I can't imagine doing an Olympic caliber course in the heat either.

Lots of talk about moving the championships to cooler weather times of the year. By the way, you did a SUPER job of moving up! I saw the dressage scores Friday, then the XC (thinking it was going to be a VERY long trip back to Memphis!) - then was SOOOOO pleased for you and Sonny when I read the final placings - FABULOUS!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Thanks
    T3DE Pact

I was only riding my beasties early in the morning up until the last 2 days...it was 97 so the horses got to come in during the day (the heat was awful enough but the flies were terrible on top of it!) while us 2 footed beasties baled HAY! Ugh.

I just rescheduled a lesson from tonight to Thursday, hoping that the weather breaks, as promised, by then. Have been mainly doing light flat work and hacking in this atrocious weather. I'm worthless in it, cannot imagine showing in it.

On the plus side, heat makes 'em lazy about reacting to new things, so it seems like a good time to introduce her to new trails, etc.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

As LoriB said...heat makes em lazy.....so I used it to put the first 2 rides on my 3 YO! He was too hot to care and pull any stunts or move out of a plod!

camohn, yep, use the weather for its benefits.... much better than backing a three year old on a windy day in January.... Hee hee hee.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

We justreturned from the Upperville Horse Show and it was sweltering... I showed first thing on sun. and it was bad. I had two horses in the classic and I went first on the one, After I came out and they realized how hot it was for the riders, they waived jackets luckily. LAter on we had a side saddle horse, and can you just imagine all those poor horses and the ladies in their habbits!? The worst part... they kept moving the start time back so we were uo there for 2 hours before they ended up going!

Were back up in PA now, and it is SO hot I didnt even ride yesterday after school. Supposedly, its only going up to 90 today

Im not eventing unitl July, up at Stuart... just think of how hot the rest of ths summer is going to be!
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

Default maybe they will get it right

Last few days---even at 2 am it was still thick and muggy. The poor beasts couldn't even cool out fully at night. This am--it was crisp and cool. @ 10 am it is only 75 vs the 89 it has been since Saturday.

Maybe they got it right--those wx men!