The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I wish I could share Heart with you guys in person. To touch her soft hair, to hear her soft little nicker. To feel her warm breath upon my face as I tell her how strong she is. This is a little trooper.

The vet was up again this morning. I think we need to medicate the vet, she is in shock. Our little ladies heart murmur has gone done to a grade 4 now that so much stress has been removed. She is not only resting comfortably, she is getting around well and tried to sneak out on me.

A volunteer spent about half and hour grooming the little darling. She is sexy now. A real looker. She has on a little fly mask and honestly looks loved once more. We are on heavy doses of antibiotics and pain meds but thank heaven, the weather is turning cooler. The fly stuff from the vet is working a miracle and I dont think we could find another live maggot. I know they are good in an infection but these guys were in mass balls everywhere. Injuries or not, they had taken over. It was possibly the grosest thing I have ever done. Bird and I finally decided to just go for it and get our hands in there. OH YUK YUK YUK. We were so itchy. So was Heart.

This little trooper is going to live to see a brighter day. God sent her here for a reason, she is not finished yet. Often, they come simply to teach me a lesson.

You guys keep jingling for this little lady. Its working well.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Many, many more jingles for little Heart.

And since we don't have any pics of her yet, we'll let Donkey from Shrek stand in for her right now.

http://lancemannion.typepad.com/phot...zed/donkey.jpg
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I don't shake a crub chain lightly. Jingling like crazy for this poor (POOR) dear.

Pull on through.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Lots of jingles for little Heart from New York City tonight!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Saying prayers for the little donk! Thank goodness you found her! I am very certain you know...but go easy on that grain...as in almost none! What a wonderful person you are for helping her.

I'm sure with her giant donkey ears, Heart can hear all the jingles and prayers coming her way.
    Go, little she-donk, go!!!

Lori, I'm going to wait another week so that I have a whole mess of Legends/TC POPs to send at once. I'm up to 30 already, all neatly clipped and sitting in a pile waiting to do some good.

What a sweet girl and a trooper for sure.

Still jingling like crazy for her.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

There's a special place in Heaven for folks like you! Heart was very fortunate to have found you. Or was she specifically sent your way for a reason?

Either way, our prayers go out for her and you.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

my prayers will be for heart tonight. thank you for taking her in.

The depths of depravity of people..I do not know what to say..I only hope those that left her will be found, charged and PUNISHED for this act of torture..for surely it was torture for the little donk to be abandoned on bad hooves, with a maggot infested leg in unfamiliar surroundings harrassed by dogs.

I am truly sorry for this little don-keh who had to suffer so before being found by you. I know Heart will be ok now that she has found you.

You are truly one of a kind, Lori and I swear I don't know how you do it day in and day out..your dedication and resolve to help are admirable.

Aloha sends Heart her love...say's soaked alfalfa cubes are some more good stuff! Give little donk a hug and I'll drop you a dribble by paypal for the donk.

It all comes back to you in the end, every little thing..don't you forget it!

Default Awwww...

Tommy and Blue are sending jingles from MI to little donk....and Tommy and Blue's momma is shedding tears and smiling through them as she thinks about little donk then and now...

You are an angel here on earth! Thank you.
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Lori, I'm so glad to hear she is doing better.

Darn that I'm so far away, but if she pulls through and we can set up an 'underground railroad' for her I'd be thrilled to have the opportunity to give her a comfortable home for life here in Michigan.

I've become quite the donkey girl over the past couple of years ..very proud (and humble) to have been able to get many very lame, negelected donks back to soundness.

For some reason the local farriers don't seem to want anything to do with them, so I get a LOT of calls to see them, and I'm only too happy to do so.

They are so tough, but so loving given half a chance in life.

My darling husband can't work full time due to severe combat related PTSD, but he is able to ride to work with me a lot and as gained such a reputation for his kind, gentle manner and influence with all equids, but for some reason, especially donkeys, that he is now known around these parts as the 'donkey whisperer'

Alison
    Last edited by Tiempo; Jun. 10, 2008 at 10:35 PM.
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Yay!!!
    this is great news
    still jingling

jingling for the she-donk from florida. lori- you are heaven sent for these animals
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

KIA KAHA (go strong) Heart - powerful jingles coming from half a world away. Pics please now that she's pretified

Everyones little Heart is well tonight. She really belongs to you all cause I can feel your kindness and caring. Tears streaming down my face, I know I am not the only one who cares.

She is talking to the little foundered pony outside her stall, she checked out the kitty and she politely told me to get her more hay mommy.

She is far from out of the dark yet but we inch closer and closer to the light. This being only the second day of treatment, her improvement has been magnificent. If the cool weather holds out long enough for us to get some drying on that leg, we might be able to say, we made it.

And Tiempo, I would be honored to have you adopt this little darling. The cooler season is so good for there foundered feeties. We can have coth stops along the way and all share in this little honey. She can stop for lunch all along the way.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    Everyones little Heart is well tonight. She really belongs to you all cause I can feel your kindness and caring. Tears streaming down my face, I know I am not the only one who cares.

She is talking to the little foundered pony outside her stall, she checked out the kitty and she politely told me to get her more hay mommy.

She is far from out of the dark yet but we inch closer and closer to the light. This being only the second day of treatment, her improvement has been magnificent. If the cool weather holds out long enough for us to get some drying on that leg, we might be able to say, we made it.

And Tiempo, I would be honored to have you adopt this little darling. The cooler season is so good for there foundered feeties. We can have coth stops along the way and all share in this little honey. She can stop for lunch all along the way.
    Just say the word...whenever she's ready

We are set to close on the new darling property any day (fingers crossed) but if for any reason (heaven forbid) it doesn't work out, boarding her with our boys is not a problem
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    I'll do a leg in the journey girls. Just let me know when she's ready to roll.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

I am so happy to hear that Heart continues to improve! Gotta love that donkey courage - she knows she's found the good life and she's not going to give it up easily.

Oh big NOISY jingles for Heart from up here in New Hampshire. What a fighter she is!!!

Tiempo, we will need constant updates and pictures once your and your dear hubby have her at your farm
    -Jessica