The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    anon trainer Guest

Dear Former Client,

Are you in the habit of assuming everybody you do business with is your friend? We had a business relationship, not a friendship. That business relationship has concluded.

I did not hug you while you were my client, and I am not likely to start now. That business did not include hugging. You may be thinking of a different profession all together.

You paid me for my time. If you wanted to use some of that paid time to chat about life and gossip about people we both know, that was fine by me. You no longer pay me for my time, so while working I choose to concentrate on my current clients, and while not working I choose to chat to my friends.

Business relationships end. It is part of life. When people terminate business relationships with you, do you try to be their friend? After somebody leaves your drive through window, do you jog down the road to ask them if their fries are hot and what they are doing on the weekend?

Regards,

Your Former Trainer

PS Hey how you doing? good to see you!

I didnt say dont be polite...I just said dont expect a "friendly" conversation. Depressing? yes...We invest a lot of ourselves in a relationship and they dont always end because we "did" something to the client. Sometimes they just leave when the spirit moves them or they think they can do better somewhere else. There are a LOT of spoiled selfish individuals out there with a nasty sense of entitlement. If you want to leave, go...just dont expect a joyous reunion when we meet again at the shows...of course I have ex clients I love to see and they know who they are when I see them. the ones that stuck it in and broke it off will get a polite but measured response and I dont regret it. The nastygram street runs BOTH ways. That was my point.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

"Dear Former Client"-From a professional (other than the horse world)/business standpoint, you have chosen a very harsh way to advertise and market your business on such an open forum.

KC-nice goes a long way-no matter what the dispute. It takes way too much energy to be negative than it does to be positive.

my two cents...

Dear Former Client:
    I do wish you would have realized that I don't care about how busy your life and schedule is, I wish you would realize that if it does not pertain to riding, horses, showing etc...I'm really not interested. Sorry, but just the truth. Sometimes I feel like clients want to be friends and I'm just really not interested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by anon trainer View Post
    You paid me for my time. If you wanted to use some of that paid time to chat about life and gossip about people we both know, that was fine by me. You no longer pay me for my time, so while working I choose to concentrate on my current clients, and while not working I choose to chat to my friends.
    Good thing you're not a sales rep! LOL

Doesn't it ever occur to trainers that someone may be thinking of sending them a referral or even thinking of coming back? Wouldn't a smile and a "hey good to see you" go a long way in terms of building future business and thus more revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Good thing you're not a sales rep! LOL

Doesn't it ever occur to trainers that someone may be thinking of sending them a referral or even thinking of coming back? Wouldn't a smile and a "hey good to see you" go a long way in terms of building future business and thus more revenue?
    Exactly... word of mouth is one of the most important and highest impact forms of advertising.

Eeeesh. The "trainer" rebuttals are really incredible. It's not like the former students were hoping to become their pen pals...it's very unfortunate that the trainers feel it appropriate to totally cold-shoulder people they had a working relationship with.

As others have mentioned, training is a profession that works by word of mouth, and professional courtesy extends to exchanging brief pleasantries. It doesn't mean you're signing your life over, for heaven's sake. It's just a hello and acting as if you were an actual human being with a working heart inside. Act that way enough, and who knows, you might develop a heart one day.

Dear Former Client,

Are you in the habit of assuming everybody you do business with is your friend? We had a business relationship, not a friendship. That business relationship has concluded.

I did not hug you while you were my client, and I am not likely to start now. That business did not include hugging. You may be thinking of a different profession all together.

Business relationships end. It is part of life. When people terminate business relationships with you, do you try to be their friend? After somebody leaves your drive through window, do you jog down the road to ask them if their fries are hot and what they are doing on the weekend?

Regards,

Your Former Trainer

agreed, as I also mentioned in my post, most trainers feel this way. I know to some clients this is shocking and offensive, but it's very true. Trainers don't have time to be buddies with every client that comes along, and most trainers (including myself) would agree that clients come and go..oh well, that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    Sadly, trainers expect loyalty and that you never leave them. If you do, they will treat you like you don't exsist. Seen it too often with my trainer.
    yeah but loyalty goes 2 ways.
    when you cant find a dead green horse for less than 40k and you cannot provide me with even a nag to swing my leg over once in a blue moon, what can one do? move on.
    i cannot believe the original poster! i was wondering if i wrote this?
    why do former trainer not say hello? its really easy! hi how are you doing?

I agree 100% with Sdhaurmsmom.

It's a business!!! I have clients that give me notice. They are treated with respect through the process. Sometimes they come back! So Trainers...keep that in mind.

Clients and/or trainers shouldn't burn bridges.

Dear Former Client,

Regards,

Your Former Trainer

I hide behind an alter because I don't want people to know of the trainer of whom I speak.

YOU hide behind an Alter because you don't want your customers to know how you really feel about them. Hope you're better with the horses then you are the people!

I didn't give notice when I left my former trainer, and maybe that was my bad. But most of the time I was there I was basically given the impression she didn't care if I came over there or not, except when I had my checkbook in my hand. Mostly she just acted like she didn't want to be bothered.
    I honestly didn't think she would even notice if I was there or not. Or maybe she would notice and not care.
    I can go to work and get paid to get treated like crap, thanks.
    But I'm not hiding under an alter either.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

oh this is hilarious...very therapeutic.. I have been on both sides.

Dear former client,
    You were nuts, and wanted me to put desitin on every single knick and bump on your horse. Years later, my hands still smell like a baby's a$$. NEVER AGAIN. So glad you peaced out. I still see you and am very nice to you, you can be a lovely person, some of the time.. but don't think for a second I would take on another horse of yours.

Dear former trainer,
    You were also nuts. And you have very bad taste in clothing. And I KNOW you sleep with your clients. Is that how you keep customers? Because it's definitely not your riding and training skills..

OK.. feel better. Hopefully you all have moved on from the ill fitting trainers and clients to ones that make you better coaches and riders. I know I have, and I am so happy!

This almost as entertaining as my kitten who has come into heat and is rubbing herself on absolutely everything and moaning in such a way that indicates her desires. She has a special efinity for shoes right now.

I've noticed that it's the really big successful trainers who are curtious and nice to former clients, it's seems like it's usually the little guy who gets his panties all in a wad and can't be business like. Perhaps there is some correlation there?

Default business???

So why is it, if this is "just a business", that so many trainers chose to farm this portion of their business out to some one else? Why is it, that when we ask about the "splits" that aren't exactly split fairly, does the trainer object to our tending to our "business" when she/he wishes we would just ignore the $$ business-side of the training/horse show?! Fact is, that it IS a business, and most clients are intimidated into "going along with the program" regardless of its 'business sense'. Wish I could explain this more clearly, but hope some of you get it. I love this thread.....

Wow...the responses of some of the trainers is exactly the reason why I usually DON'T go up to trainers or any other horse people I've met at shows/sales/etc. I haven't had a lot of different instructors or anything, but I've met some really neat trainers and other horse people through friends, who I'd love to say "hi" to when I see them out and about.

Every so often, I'll see one of them at a horsey event and want to go say a quick "hello, how are you...I met you at such-and-such through so-and-so, it's nice to see you again" but I'm terrified of these kinds of negative responses. I don't even expect a real conversation...I just like to say "hi" because it seems to be the courteous thing to do, and I feel that if my friends like this person, then there must be something cool about them, right?

I HAVE gotten the cold shoulder before in this type of situation, and it isn't fun. Two of those times have been from people on this bulletin board - the first, a person I used to board with and the second, a person I met through mutual friends. So, as a result, it makes me very hesitant to even speak to people anymore, for fear of being treated like some socially awkward leper.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

As a (very, very non-horse-related) professional, I just have to shake my head at the perspective some trainers have! I don't know what it is about the horse world, but I've often said that if I treated my clients the way many trainers treat theirs, business would not be going well. Here's a thought: treat everyone as a potential client.

FWIW, I picked my current barn/trainers based on the positive word-of-mouth reputation they have in the area. I have been pleased and impressed with their professionalism thus far--I originally intended to send my horse there for 90 days of "boot camp" only, but have since changed disciplines, horses, and my mind--and decided to stay there permanently. Much of the decision to stay was because I was treated with respect and attention equal to that of long-term clients.

Professionalism is everything.

Wow, based on the arrogance displayed and the obsession with Motivation Numero Uno, one of my Former Trainers must be in this thread. The chihuahua complex that Tidy Rabbit alluded to would certainly be at play there.

Just so he knows for sure I'm talking to him:

My horse has had many stellar moments in his still-young life, and will no doubt have many, many more, but one of his greatest will always be the day he had enough and, with deliberate intent, pitched your sorry ass directly into the wall.

That said it better than any letter I could write.

Dear former trainer #1:

I would suggest you start taking your meds again if you want to keep your remaining clients

Dear former trainer #2:

It is too bad that you were so unprofessional when we parted ways because I have had quite a bit of business I could have sent your way since then

Dear former trainer 3:

You were great. I am sorry we aren't located closer to each other because I would love to train with you again

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    It is too bad that you were so unprofessional when we parted ways because I have had quite a bit of business I could have sent your way since then
    The best way to make your point I have sent several friends with green horses to my new trainer, and she has made a point of telling me how much she appreciates it and my business. I don't expect anyone to lick my boots (oh please no) but if I work hard for my $$ and if I am giving it to someone else it's nice if they appreciate it. It's not an entitlement.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin