The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Wait wait wait wait. Is that Tick PIllow anatomically correct? I mean does it have the **gross** **gross** **gross** mouth part(s)??? Ewwwww.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Quote Originally Posted by Sail Away View Post
    OK. Hopefully I did it correctly. I just learned how to open a webshots account so hopefully I did it correctly.

http://community.webshots.com/album/564065027LNUoqV
    Oh, thank goodness. For some reason, I was picturing a regular pillow filled with little dried up corpses like the beads in a bean bag chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    Wait wait wait wait. Is that Tick PIllow anatomically correct? I mean does it have the **gross** **gross** **gross** mouth part(s)??? Ewwwww.
    Weeeellllll...if I remember correctly, yes it is. BUT I think it is because of the markings on the back. I think my sister told me that one can tell whether it is male or female by the markings on its back. No mouth parts although maybe I could attach velcro to it so it would stick on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by pony89 View Post
    Oh, thank goodness. For some reason, I was picturing a regular pillow filled with little dried up corpses like the beads in a bean bag chair.
    That would be a little crunchy. No dead bodies in this one. Just that stuff one fills with normal pillows or batting I think.

Well, I found a tick on my @SS CHEEK in the shower this morning after I fed.
    I think I win for today.
    To toot my own horn, I didn't even scream!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Crooked Horse...you are now OFFICIALLY my fav coth poster! I think I will ship you a sash beauty queen style...maybe it will have FAV POSTER spelled out with glitter spray painted ticks instead of rhinestones...hmmm craft project for tomorrow!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Talking Dang this is funny!!

OMG! This is totally busting me up! Iced tea ALL OVER my laptop now!!!
    The pillow is over the top!! Love it! AND it's many uses!! And I'm especially enjoying the many loving ways ya'll choose to dispatch of these poor defenseless insects! Burning? Torturing by limb removal? Decapitation? The infamous tweezer stretch? Poisoning? Drowning?!!! Why if this were any other animal....PETA would be so on us like ticks on a dog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    But, as we are telling gross, tick stories a friends husband had been hiking & was in the shower later that day. He was happily singing & soaping & upon cleaning his er, "longer part" found a tick embedded in the end (I guess the little sucker, crawled to where it was dark & warm & started to feed )
    At least he found it instead of her finding it! (insert vomit icon)
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Oooh, Sail Away---I've got a place in northern MN, and I just got back from there last night. I SO would have hunted the pillowmaker down and ordered one from her if I had seen this thread before I left! I want one with velcro on the underside so I can stick it to stuff.

Gotta say, I saw more ticks up north this year than I have in any past years that I can recall. My dog and cats got them on their ears, eyelids and necks and I found a couple crawling on my legs.

I don't mind taking them off and torturing them as long as they haven't yet swollen to the dreaded grape or pine nut stage. Then I am totally convinced that by pulling them off I will make them explode all over the place and I'll lose my lunch right there. That's when hubby sighs, gives me the look over his bifocals, and removes the grape for me while I leave the room. Ew.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

OK, as if ticks were not bothersome enough already, I open my e-news from The Horse and read this:

"'Fever Ticks' Spreading Across Texas Could Have Equine Impact "

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=12258

"Veterinarians from the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) are worried because fever ticks (Boophilus microplus) capable of carrying and transmitting deadly cattle "tick fever" protozoans Babesia bigemina or Babesia bovis, have been detected on livestock or wildlife in 139 Texas pastures during the past 12 months. More than one million acres in Texas is under quarantine, according to a statement from the TAHC.
    Horse owners are worried because this tick species can also spread Babesia equi and B. caballi protozoal parasites that attack and destroy red blood cells in horses. The resulting disease is known as piroplasmosis."

Click on the link to read the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    Oooh, Sail Away---I've got a place in northern MN, and I just got back from there last night. I SO would have hunted the pillowmaker down and ordered one from her if I had seen this thread before I left! I want one with velcro on the underside so I can stick it to stuff.

Gotta say, I saw more ticks up north this year than I have in any past years that I can recall. My dog and cats got them on their ears, eyelids and necks and I found a couple crawling on my legs.

I don't mind taking them off and torturing them as long as they haven't yet swollen to the dreaded grape or pine nut stage. Then I am totally convinced that by pulling them off I will make them explode all over the place and I'll lose my lunch right there. That's when hubby sighs, gives me the look over his bifocals, and removes the grape for me while I leave the room. Ew.

Just got an email from my sister (who lives in the town with the infamous store). She said it was one of two stores she knows of so next time she is downtown she will find out which one it is and see what other critters she makes. I can PM you the store if you want once she finds out.

I hear you about pulling off the full ones. I think the same - that if I grab them too hard they will burst. To keep this HR I haven't found one on mine yet, thankfully.

Wow just got back from hubby's follow up Lyme appointment. (He has stage two Lymes.)

They had two dozen positive tests for Lyme in one week. The most being 6 in ONE DAY. It is serious stuff. Hubby is having lingering muscle weakness, pain, and etc. When you get Lymes you have it for the rest of your life and will have flare ups. It is serious stuff.

I don't take the bug spray lightly anymore. When I am at the barn I wear breeches tuck into my socks or jeans with pantyhose underneath. And I have bug spray with the highest level deet you can buy.

I just spent the weekend in the ER with the most disgusting tick bite in the entire world. Five days later I had the bullseye rash and a fever. Yesterday I had blood drawn for lyme. I hate ticks. I hate summer.