The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    I believe that the heart does go on and on...

Back to ticks, theres nothing like a, well, an intimate moment with your SO to discover that ticks sometimes like to hide in really strange places, if you get my drift...

Check everywhere!
    Yessssss! Embarassing for sure but, it's so very true!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Okay...I lied. THREE things give me the heebie jeebies...the third being Capone's previous "handler."
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Toooooo funny. And gross too.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

The seed ticks are the ones that freak me out the most.. deer ticks as awful and disease infested as they are are at least more visible... Seed ticks look like freckles/moles... and their bite marks itch for days and days!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

OMG JohnDeere that is so ewwww! Talk about making my skin crawl. ick.

We don't have much of a tick issue here, I've seen on in my life and it was when I was living in the city. I found it on my dog. eww.

LMEqT (who BTW happens to be 1/2 French) recently said this about ticks:

"Ticks aren't trying to get down your throat or anything..
    they really aren't evil."
    "They just want to be like us.. and then we flush them down the toilet!"

For once, the subject of ticks made me laugh. Thought I'd share the giggle.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

You wanna hear something reeeeeellly scary?

I once picked over 100 off my beagle. Yes, she had Frontline on her. It still takes 'em a while to croak.

She'd been out and about on the farm (or up to God knows what) and came home and jumped right up on my lap.

Her fur looked like it was moving. I put on my reading glasses and..... get downgetdowngetdowngetdown!

Then the deticking began. It took a good long time - but I got 'em off her. Mr. JSwan averted his eyes so he didn't get the heebie jeebies.

Mistyblue - I once went sea kayaking at a nature preserve and paddled through a shark nursery in a lagoon. I was NOT NOT NOT happy. I never recovered from watching Jaws back in the 70's.

As far as you know who - it gives the term "animal husbandry" a whole new meaning. (insert nonexistent vomit icon)

JSwan, I had that happen to one of my puppies. He took off through a pine forest and came back literally covered in them. They were so disgusting and took hours to pick off of him. The only good thing was that by the time I was finished, he knew what STAY and LAY DOWN meant.

OMom - last year I started the OH GROSS, TICKS! thread after finding one in my hair. I thought it would die right out.. no, everyone vented, page after page after page. So thank you for giving us a chance to scream EWWWWWWWWWWW one more time.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Someone asked me this question on Saturday: Can people use the flea and tick shampoo on themselves? If so, does it actually work?
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    JSwan, I had that happen to one of my puppies. He took off through a pine forest and came back literally covered in them. They were so disgusting and took hours to pick off of him. The only good thing was that by the time I was finished, he knew what STAY and LAY DOWN meant.

OMom - last year I started the OH GROSS, TICKS! thread after finding one in my hair. I thought it would die right out.. no, everyone vented, page after page after page. So thank you for giving us a chance to scream EWWWWWWWWWWW one more time.

So - it was a great obedience lesson but Lordy - what a price to pay!

see u at x - I don't know but aren't those shampoos mostly pyrethin based? If so - it can't be as bad for us as that 40% DEET that's on the shelves. Who knows, though. As long as you don't smell like a wet dog afterwards, I guess it would be ok.

A couple of weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with the feeling that something was crawling on my leg. I thought I was having some nightmare so I went back to sleep. Woke up a while later and felt something crawling on my stomach. I was swatting and swooshing and my husband was griping at me to quit it and go back to sleep. Thinking I was hallucinating, I went back to sleep only to wake up at 3 a.m. with this crawling feeling again. I lurched out of bed, ripped off all my clothes and found the bastard crawling on my arm. I snatched it off and threw it down on the nightstand, flipped on the light and said "THERE! THERE IT IS! I'M NOT HALLUCINATING!" It was kind of fat and had a dog hair in it's chops so obviously the dog was able to scratch it off or something and it got in my bed. I was so freaked out I couldn't sleep. All I could feel was crap crawling on me.

About the Beagle with ticks - my Beagle got into ticks once too while we were up north. (You're from Wisconsin, if you know what "up north" means.) Anyway, I picked off 11 ticks while we were in the car going home. That's a far cry from 100 though. I think if he'd had 100 ticks on him, I'd have chucked him out the window, ticks and all.

I rescued a dog from the woods that had been abandoned and he was CRAWLING in fleas. I put him in the bath tub filled to the brim with water and about a trillion fleas came swarming up onto his head. It was like something from a horror movie. His entire head was covered in fleas, swarming in one huge black mass. I was scraping them off with a cup and holding them under the water to drown them. I had to empty and refill the tub several times because there were so many dead floating fleas I couldn't stand to put my hands down into it. I was gagging and fighting the puke for over an hour as I worked on his fleas. I did finally get him de-flead though.

Just reading this thread has got me scratching and feeling creepy crawly.

Mistyblue - I once went sea kayaking at a nature preserve and paddled through a shark nursery in a lagoon. I was NOT NOT NOT happy. I never recovered from watching Jaws back in the 70's.
    Dude...I'd turn into Jeebus and run on water. if I didn't drop dead in the kayak first. Being in a flimsy kayak in shark infested waters???? All I can picture is sharks thinking, "Mmmm, just the way I like 'em...crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside!"
    The funny thing is...I *know* sharks aren't exactly targeting humans and humming the Jaws theme in their head as they come after me. But *knowing* it and believing it are two totally different things if I'm swimming in water and something brushes by me or creates a swirl on the water near me. I don't like swimming with ANYTHING big with teeth because not only can I not see it coming...I'm pretty sure whatever it is swims faster than I do.
    Sharks and Big Swimming Things With Teeth are my Achilles' Heel. Sooo...I only swim in pools, small lakes and rivers. It's sad...
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    see u at x - I don't know but aren't those shampoos mostly pyrethin based? If so - it can't be as bad for us as that 40% DEET that's on the shelves. Who knows, though. As long as you don't smell like a wet dog afterwards, I guess it would be ok.
    Good point...and if I go that route, it's a good thing I'm single! Though, the wet dog smell just might be an improvement over how I smelled this weekend. I keep hoping that one of these mornings I will wake up and it will be October!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera View Post
    OMG JohnDeere that is so ewwww! Talk about making my skin crawl. ick.

It put a damper on things for sure.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

to feed garlic helps

Seriously, can I frontline myself? I get them ALL OVER me at one barn I ride at.

Gives Brad Paisley's song a whooooole new twist...

My girl gets horrible fat gray ticks infesting her mane. Pulling them out is a horrible PITA necessitating ace. Disgusting!!! Does anyone know of tick preventative drops for horses like they have for dogs? How about replacing the safety breakaway piece on the top of her halter with a medium-sized dog flea-and-tick collar? The chemical wouldn't have to cover her whole body, just her mane. Would it injure a horse?

Default Ticks

ahh..wait till later in the summer and the CHIGGERS come out!! At least ticks don't crawl UNDER your skin. As if the ticks weren't horrible enough.
    Fox Ridge

Champ. Welsh Lands End The Colonels Fox
    Fox Ridge Welsh ponies on fb

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Sharks and Big Swimming Things With Teeth are my Achilles' Heel. Sooo...I only swim in pools, small lakes and rivers. It's sad...
    Not to be a downer, but alligators have big teeth and live in small lakes and rivers.

Back to the OP. I was helping Sunkissed Acres Rescue clean up a maggot infested donkey and doing just fine until I came across a huge bloated tick that looked like a giant hominy kernel in her tail. That really grossed me out much more than the hordes of maggots crawling around in the rotten flesh. I really, really hate ticks.

Just reading this topic gives me imaginary itches!

I find one on the mare just about every day. The dogs have frontline, but I still catch at least 2 a week on them. They seem to prefer hanging out right under the dogs' tails, which leads for an interesting looks on the mutts' faces as I grab the tweezers, lift the tail, and approach their bottoms!