The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you think of Bravo for my mare?

Here is my mare. She is a TB. I havent taken her to her inspection but am planning on taking her GOV.

AHS inspection in 1997.
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...x/Image002.jpg

Shes underweight in these and I am currently putting weight on her.
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...52008048-1.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...h152008054.jpg

I am planning on breeding her to Bravo. http://hiddenvalleyfarms.net/bravo.html

What do you think? Anything reasons you wouldnt bred her to him? Be as honest as possible, nothing you say is going to hurt my feelings.
    Last edited by faluut42; Jun. 9, 2008 at 07:18 AM.
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Honestly, I loff Bravo...but if it were me, with that mare, and I wanted to go for those line, I would breed to his sire, Bugatti. The reason I say that is b/c he has enough foal crops on the ground to show where he is pre-potent and stamps his offspring. I know your mare needs groceries, but I'm not crazy about her shoulder/neck and would look for a sire known to "fix" this. From what I have seen of Bugatti's crosses, he will improve this.

JMHO, and Bravo x her may be amazingly perfect, but to narrow the crap shoot odds for her I'd be looking for a proven sire.

I too like Bravo alot.
    I got a video and was very impressed with him. He has a super elastic body and good power movement. Strong topline and overall strong structure.
    He is also on my list for the future. I really like him.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Just a thought, but since getting a TB mare approved AHS isn't easy, why would you want to breed to other than an AHS stallion? I'm not sure what your goals are, but it is expensive to inspect mares, and since she has that approval, and there are many very nice AHS stallions, why pay for an additional approve to breed to a stallion with no offspring undersaddle? Bugatti is very nice, or another thought is Pablo, who is versatile and sires outstanding offspring out of a variety of mares. No offense meant against Bravo; I'm sure he is lovely and has a nice first crop on the ground.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

What are you breeding for?? Dressage, Hunters, Jumpers?? That would help determine which way to go..

I also love Pablo as a great all-arounder and would really improve on the mare.. She may look quite different with more groceries..

Bitless Rider Guest

Having had the privilege to personally handle Bravo I would like to submit this statement:
    Bravo is an incredible being, the result of a long line of proven horses. Carefully bred, wisely handled. He is sensitive, extremely personable, very intelligent, critical of those people that interact with him, kind, of royal stance and attitude. I interacted with this stallion in an enclosure that immediately adjoined with a young stallion close by on one side and the broodmare band on the other. He was at liberty, in tune to my body signals, responsive, easily directed, respectful and athletic. He is elegant, powerful, patient and modest. His physique is of good carrying ability, and he shows no signs of stress while being handled. I would venture to guess that this fine stallion could achieve the highest form of schooling with little problem. At the conclusion of our three short sessions (@20-25 minutes each) that I was with him I could lead this stallion anywhere in his large, naturally hilly terrain turnout with a simple light rope draped around his neck. It was a memory that I shall cherish in my old age!
    I am besotted by him and I anxiously await the birth of his foal out of the mare Faunja, hoping to call it my own.
    Last edited by Bitless Rider; Jun. 9, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: repeated myself!

Bravo is super nice - I say go for it!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

braunjomomma Guest

Default I have a Bravo baby

Hello my name is Tiffany Martell and i actually have a Bravo baby named Braunjo or bubba as me and my daughter call him. I highly suggest Bravo as a stud he himself is amaing not to mention his offspring come out the best!!! I bought my colt when he was only four months in the belly and Bravo had no proven offspring yet so i was very nervous!!! Of course i was excited as well, then he was born and i was in awww and stunned at how gorgeous and correct he was and still is!! he is now a yearling and still at the moment a stallion. He is not only capibale of what i want to do with him, which is eventing but he is an amaing family horse as well my daughter who is Three mind you lays and plays with him on a regular basis she can walk him to and from the arena by herself , i kid you not it still amazes me to this day!! Bravo is an amazing stud and produces amaing offspring as well and Chris Misita is someone i adore as not only a breeder, but as a friend i got out of this experience as well!! if not for Chris i would never have this amaing horse i literally never dreamed of!!! i am going to attach a picture of my daughter and Braunjo for you to gander at and like i said keep in mind he is a yearling stallion, and she is a ADHD three year old girl! well i cant attach a picture so here is my email and let me know if you would like to see the pictures?! luvurhrs176@yahoo.com

I have to agree with Clint.

Approvals are very expensive and since the mare is already approved AHS, you can reduce your overhead by staying with an AHS stallion.

Also, an AHS approval of a TB mare is prestigious.

This is nothing against Bravo, he is very nice and the owner is offering a great price incentive.

OP needs to pencil out what it would take next year to haul the mare and foal to an inspection (gas, lodging, etc.), hire handlers, and pay for both the inspection of the mare and foal. You could be looking at $600 and up just off the top of my head.

I would contact the owners of some of the newer AHS approved stallions and see if they would give you a price incentive. They need babies on the ground too.

Or go into the Wanted forum in E-warmbloods and see if anyone has a breeding to an AHS stallion that they want to sell. (A friend of mine has a breeding and she might be willing to sell it. She retired the mare she bought it for.)

Ditto clint and Oakstable. I'd go for an AHS stallion with proven record. If the mare has had previous foals and you know what they are like, that would be more very useful information. Bravo is a lovely boy, but, if I was breeding your mare, I'd be looking for a well proven stallion within the AHS stallion book.

OP, you have the mare listed for lease in e-warmbloods because of tight money.

What a pickle.

Whatever you decide, be sure to go with a stallion with really good semen or you will be spending a lot of extra money on the vet.

Are people suggesting to look for an AHS stallion because they believe Bravo might not be the best match, or because their preferred registry is AHS?

Bravo is quite lovely, and the incentive to get additional foals on the ground is great. I think Black Tie, from Triad Farm, is also providing a great incentive, it might be worth it to give her a call or e-mail to see if you can work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    OP, you have the mare listed for lease in e-warmbloods because of tight money.

What a pickle.

Whatever you decide, be sure to go with a stallion with really good semen or you will be spending a lot of extra money on the vet.
    Bravo has also recent been offered at a significantly reduced stud fee - $350, so perhaps money is what's driving the decision. Nothing against either horse, they are both lovely, but it makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Are people suggesting to look for an AHS stallion because they believe Bravo might not be the best match, or because their preferred registry is AHS?

Bravo is quite lovely, and the incentive to get additional foals on the ground is great. I think Black Tie, from Triad Farm, is also providing a great incentive, it might be worth it to give her a call or e-mail to see if you can work something out.
    I think people are trying to save the OP some money and hassle. The mare is already approved AHS, so it makes sense to go with a stallion that is already with that registry. If money is indeed an issue here, then saving the price of inspection fees and travel costs may help (although Bravo's fee may be hard to beat).
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

New breeders don't always understand the costs of registering a foal. Some registeries do not require inspecting the foal if the mare and stallion have been approved. The AHS is one of those. So no one is pushing the AHS over the other registeries, but OP has indicated money is an issue.

Bravo is available at a great deal now. But there will be added expense in order to get the mare looked at, along with her foal, in 2009. If that's okay with the OP, go for it.

This TB mare could be bred to a Dutch stallion without having her inspected. That's another option.

In summary, the stud fee (high or low) is the smallest expense in the breeding game.

To the OP -
    Go for what is the best financially for you and what is easier for you.

Bravo has a super pedigree, IMO. Most have NO idea of his dam line, so let me essssplain some, not that it matter to most, but the Swedish lines are VUUURY nice and proven!

Gauguin de Lully (born Switzerland, but approved Swedish in 89) was a multi champion at the top levels. Christine Stuckelberger and Gauguin have a long list of top international level accomplishments, including the team silver and individual broze at the 86 Olympics. Do a search on him, he was superb!!

Gauguin (love animal, IMO) passed on his ability to many, one was including Emily Roberston daughter, Heather who took her Gaugiun to Edward Gal to train for a long period of time. You dont take just oridinary horses across the big pond to train with top professionals. LOL This is heather with tons of pics of Maguin, who himself looks much like Gauguin. (Look her up, goggle her she has a website). Heather also short listed for the Canadian team with him as well on this super horse.

There is also Gauguin du Cheval who did very well in the ring and now from a recent email I got from his owner, his babies are doing well too.

There are MANY more GdC offspring, google them if interested.

Chagall his sire is ultimate proven with many approved stallions that also proved their abilties as well. Chapman was one, who himself has a name for himself. Both have very decent BLUP #'s.

Iran (also the sire of the reknown Napeleon who sired those of Vivaldi, Amiral, Gazpon, etc) who himself proved himself high in the BLUP stastics.

Then we have Gaspari!! *sigh* Gaspari competed in the 1960-64 Olympics with Hans Wikne and then went on to win the individual gold the later placings later in life of the 2nd placings at the World Championships. Wolfgang Niggli himself favored this line and was noted saying so. Gaspri had several approved sons under his name, all proven to upper levels, most to FEI (if not all, I have to double check).
    Then we have Ideal by Inschallah which most should know so I wont go there.

And the sire, Bugatti.... Bugatti with the Bergamon/Rubinstein/Donnerhall.... no need to go on.

Bravo bloodlines are very nice and many yrs of proven upper level preformance. Very much worth the "risk" mostly at a $350 stud fee the owner is offering! That alone offsets what she needs to get a mare approved somewhere else.

Anyway, Bravo is nice and bloodlines are well proven. No need for anyone to try to give him backhanded compliments
    www.spindletopfarm.net

Quote Originally Posted by spacely View Post
    Bravo has also recent been offered at a significantly reduced stud fee - $350, so perhaps money is what's driving the decision. Nothing against either horse, they are both lovely, but it makes me wonder.

Stacey, Chris is offering him lower to help the economy. Nothing wrong with the stallion at all. Same thing as Kathy St. Martin offering her stallion for 350, etc. Nothing wrong there either I dont think. Both just see the economy and feeling the "suck of it!"
    www.spindletopfarm.net

And to the OP -
    If I can still beat Chris up enough to go get Bravo approved SWANA, then the inspection issue will be limited as they dont require inspection for papers and you can take your offspring in at anytime for ratings. So.......... just let me kick Chris a tad more....
    www.spindletopfarm.net

Mini Me, my post has nothing to do with registry wars. If a mare is already approved in a warmblood registry why go to another one if you can get a good stallion in the one you are in? If you add in the cost of gas, plus the cost of inspection, plus the cost of mare registration, plus owner dues, it adds up to probably $500-$600, on top of the studfee. Now it is up to a thousand, and the mare isn't bred yet. Foal inspection fees are the same, whether they get a brand or not. That is a wash. Also to be considered is that this mare is now 16 and underweight. Will she get in a main mare book? Who knows? If the foal is for resale, that can make a difference. As Oakstable said, the studfee is the smallest amount of this game.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Ahhhh, since the OP has the mare offered for a lease for money reasons, and in another forum she is asking how to put weight on said mare, some of us old breeding geezers are just trying to help out with information so she can make a decision.

There are no registry wars going on here, MIni Me.