The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My dumb horse is broken

Just a whiny little vent...

My horse is broken. Not lame, just... broken. A week and a half ago, he started having issues under saddle (horrible canter, and he kept breaking--he doesn't break)... Kind of forgot about it over the weekend (it was a really rough weekend), finally rode him Tuesday.. crap. Still broken. Asked my trainer/BO when the vet was coming and if she could come ASAP to look at him, and she called, and said hopefully the vet would be able to come out Friday. Got on him Thursday to see how he was, and had my trainer get on him too (she used to ride and show him all the time, so she knows him pretty well), and she agreed he's broken, too. Well, today was Friday, and the vet couldn't come out.. not that I blame her, it was pretty short notice, and she's really far away. But she can't come out until NEXT Friday, so my horse is still broken.

*sigh* My barn is having a little show tomorrow, and I really really really wanted to do the bareback division and bareback puissance. And there's another show next weekend I wanted to go to, but now I definitely can't. Why does he pick the worst timing to decide to break?

His brokenness consists of:
    -inability to bend to the right... really really bad. I trotted a figure 8, and when we tried to change to the right, he totally stiffened up and felt like he was going to fall over.
    -inability to move forward and fluidly at the canter... it is extremely disjointed, disconnected, and unbalanced. He doesn't exactly have a smooth canter, but this is jarring, like going 55mph down a dirt road full of potholes. I just want to boot him to make him GO, but he can't.
    My trainer said he feels wobbly. He's just... icky. Why can't he fix himself??? He really is trying to be good... as much as he normally enjoys being resistant (his hobby is annoying me), I know he's doing the best he can.. it just isn't working. Mind you, he can run and play with his little friends just fine, so it can't be bothering him THAT much.

I think his back is out, the problems started just after a couple of trail rides where he was being dumb and I had to mount from the ground 4-5 times... he's not terribly big, but I'm not terribly graceful, and it ain't pretty.. but darn if I'm going to walk when HE's the one being an idiot ("OMG the GROUND CHANGED! I can't WALK over THAT!" I had to get off and walk him over a patch of dirt, maybe 1'x3'. Ground changes from dirt/grass to gravel? Goodness no, can't do that. Asphalt to gravel, what am I trying to do, KILL him??? Only going away from the barn... coming home he'd jump through fire. Dumb boy.)

Oh yeah, and he's a 21 year old OTTB, and I'd love to try Legend on him... but his owner thinks it's too dangerous. I think she heard "joint" and "injection" in the same sentence and assumed the worst, but I don't want to press the issue and annoy her.

Hopefully it'll be a quick adjustment to fix him next week... until then, he gets to sit around and be fat and lazy for a week.

ETA: Translation for the literally-minded. If you don't understand sarcasm and grim humor, ignore the above and just read this part.

My horse is hurt, and I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I think his back got messed up on the trail ride from hell. The vet can't come out for another week, so we just have to wait. The timing is bad, but oh well.. all I really care about is that he gets better. I don't want my pony to be uncomfortable... although, judging by the way he runs around with his friends, he's not *too* uncomfortable, lol. Silly horsie. *sigh* I just want my horse to be okay.
    Last edited by amastrike; Jun. 7, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

What an inconsiderate pig, to have the nerve to be sore right before a show! And he should just man up, and not react to having someone heavy haul themselves non-gracefully up onto his 21 yr old back from the ground. What a wimp!
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

If I were this owner and heard this coming out of the rider's mouth, I think rider would have to be looking for another horse to ride, cuz she'd never be getting on mine again.

Amastrike, are you for real? Or to put it another way are you really and honestly always an inconsiderate pig headed passenger on a horse.

Its a horse NOT a bicycle!

He's injured and sore NOT broken!

How would you feel if you were sore and had back ache and some prat jumped on you for a piggy back and ran you round in circles to see how sore you were! Then just for the he ll of it, they got someone else to give it a go as well!

Now I understand that you're new to riding but you're not exactly light weight or well balanced and that's excusable and something to work with. You need to appreciate that you're becoming part of the horse's problem and are not presenting yourself as a solution. IMO your attitude stinks and you seem to lack basic understanding, concern or common sense. If this is what you've been taught is the norm in the short time since you started out riding then I'd suggest you really need to go find another trainer if you actually like horses.

For sure the posting isn't by a rider and for sure the owner mustn't be terribly fussy about who is put in charge of their horse.

I don't know where you are, but have you checked him for Lyme? Sudden onset of unspecific lameness is one of the symptoms. I should know, I had a similar thing happen last spring, although my boy was never cranky, just not quite right. Just a thought.

I agree with Thomas1 . . . what the fruitbat!!??!!
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

I think she is trying to put a little humor into the situation. (If not I'd come kick her/his a** myself).Atleast that's how I read it....don't worry amastrike I have the same sense of humor (and my horse is broken I mean lame right now too ) It could be his back, or it could be lymes, and while you blame yourself, maybe he could have done it to himself out in his paddock? All I can say is good of you to notice (I know many a riders who wouldn't) and I hope the vet can make his recovery quick and painless. And for all of you high up on your high horses, get a sense of humor would you? How could any of you take this post literally? While I love this board, some of you are just plain over the top.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Wow.... you guys need to learn to take a joke. I'm concerned about my horse, it's very unlike him to have any problems. "Dumb" is the equivalent "you're kind of a pain sometimes, but I'd still do anything for you, and I love you".

Thomas... I didn't hop on him for a ride, I hopped on him to see how he was. I was on him for, oh, maybe 5 minutes. Since nothing's really visible from the ground, my trainer wanted to get on him for a minute to see how he was.

Here, let me rephrase my post in a way that you all will understand....

My horse is hurt, and I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I think his back got messed up on the trail ride from hell. The vet can't come out for another week, so we just have to wait. The timing is bad, but oh well.. all I really care about is that he gets better. I don't want my pony to be uncomfortable... although, judging by the way he runs around with his friends, he's not *too* uncomfortable, lol. Silly horsie. *sigh* I just want my horse to be okay.

My2cents, he's not exactly lame... just not moving right. Could that still be caused by Lyme? How long after exposure to a tick does it take for Lyme to show symptoms? The problems started right after a couple trail rides, and I think we hadn't been out on the trails in a week or before that.. do those times work? Yikes, now I'm really getting worried! His back is fixable enough, but other things....

Thanks showjumper28... I hate having a broken horse! (Which IMO is the most accurate way of describing it--he's not lame, he's not injured, he's just... broken. I guess I could say "he can't bend to the right or move forward at the canter and I suspect his back may be out," but that seems awfully wordy, lol.) Actually, I suspect he isn't too fond of it, either.. although he's probably enjoying the time off, the grazing, and the cookies. He's never going to want to get better! I hope your horse gets better, too.

What happened with my big boy was that he would and couldn't hold a correct lead canter behind. That and the fact that he was ouchy with the farrier. I had my boy chiropracted and acupunctured and when the titers came back, bing! high Lyme count. Treated him with Doxy and he got better but only enough that we realized he needed to have his hocks addressed. I went ahead and had them injected. Started him back up this spring and he's little bit stiff behind, so I'm just doing looooong slooooow work getting him back into shape. Oh and we just redid the blood work to check his Lyme #'s and he's a low positive (which I think happens after they've been exposed). I feel your pain and I understand you were trying to put a humorous spin on your post. The trouble is, unless you can 'dot' it with sarcastic icons, the humor comes across as mean or worse, uncaring for the horse. Good luck, I hope you can help your horsey.

amastryke,

Inflections, while speaking, can easily tell a listener you're kidding. Unfortunately sometimes those don't come through in writing—which is why (I believe) smilies were invented. Having said that, when I saw your headline I did give an eyeroll ... thinking how could anyone be so crass. I'm certain that if I were listening to you I would not have come away with the same impression.

ANYWAY, Lyme's disease is HORRIBLE. That's the first place I'd go as well ... If that comes up empty, the vet can probably advise which way to go, but I'd vote for a pain problem.

Just a few thoughts, ... not meaning to get preachy or anything...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Goodness, I TOTALLY got what the OP was saying from the start - never did I think she was seriously treating her horse like a bicycle with a broken spoke! Man...

I have called my horse broken several times. Not lame, just not able to do easy things - broken

I would be really looking to get a chiro to see him. One of the last times my horse was broken his right side hip was pushed up and in, and the left side was in and down. No freakin' wonder he couldn't canter!

...do those symptoms sound neurological to anyone else, or is that just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Honestly I kind of agree... my first thought was EPM or Lyme's.... but I suppose he could be having back issues.

At any rate I am not sure I'd be waiting a week to see the vet, though it sounds like the OP doesn't have a ton of control over that issue.

In re-reading, I am going to concur, sounds neuro....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    What an inconsiderate pig, to have the nerve to be sore right before a show! And he should just man up, and not react to having someone heavy haul themselves non-gracefully up onto his 21 yr old back from the ground. What a wimp!
    heheheheh!! I know eh!! Wot a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Wow.... you guys need to learn to take a joke. I'm concerned about my horse, it's very unlike him to have any problems. "Dumb" is the equivalent "you're kind of a pain sometimes, but I'd still do anything for you, and I love you".
    There was nothing in the posting made me think this was a joke.

Thomas... I didn't hop on him for a ride, I hopped on him to see how he was. I was on him for, oh, maybe 5 minutes. Since nothing's really visible from the ground, my trainer wanted to get on him for a minute to see how he was. My horse is hurt, and I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but I think his back got messed up on the trail ride from hell. The vet can't come out for another week, so we just have to wait. The timing is bad, but oh well.. all I really care about is that he gets better. I don't want my pony to be uncomfortable... although, judging by the way he runs around with his friends, he's not *too* uncomfortable, lol. Silly horsie. *sigh* I just want my horse to be okay.
    So call me old fashioned. In my world if a horse shows symptoms of having a bad back which is what you said you suspected this one had, then the last thing to do is to have a heavy rider on his back on Tuesday and then 2 rider's on him on Thursday and particularly when the vet is due to come the following day.

Thumbs down

Whether you were trying to be funny or not, it just didn't come across as funny. Sarcasm doesn't always come across the same in writing as it does in conversation.

IMO, your post seems like self-absorption posing as "cute." It's all about ~you~ and how inconvenient this is to ~you~.

You sound like a lot of young riders (and grown-up ones) who think a horse has a kick start. It's not a motorcycle. He's a senior horse who does not even belong to you. You have a lot of guts to go on the Internet and complain about the senior horse you get to ride because someone is kind to you.

Really sorry your Olympic dreams are put on hold for a week. (fyi, sarcasm)

Next time keep it to yourself and thank your lucky stars that you have had a horse to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post

Thomas... I didn't hop on him for a ride, I hopped on him to see how he was. I was on him for, oh, maybe 5 minutes. Since nothing's really visible from the ground, my trainer wanted to get on him for a minute to see how he was.

Here, let me rephrase my post in a way that you all will understand....

My2cents, he's not exactly lame... just not moving right. Could that still be caused by Lyme? How long after exposure to a tick does it take for Lyme to show symptoms? The problems started right after a couple trail rides, and I think we hadn't been out on the trails in a week or before that.. do those times work? Yikes, now I'm really getting worried! His back is fixable enough, but other things....

Thanks showjumper28... I hate having a broken horse! (Which IMO is the most accurate way of describing it--he's not lame, he's not injured, he's just... broken. I guess I could say "he can't bend to the right or move forward at the canter and I suspect his back may be out," but that seems awfully wordy, lol.) Actually, I suspect he isn't too fond of it, either.. although he's probably enjoying the time off, the grazing, and the cookies. He's never going to want to get better! I hope your horse gets better, too.
    No prob amastrike, I knew just from the the title that you were jokingly whining. I mean you'd have to be an idiot to come on this board and write soemthing like that in seriousness (is that a word? ) And after 720 posts I would assume that you are not a newbie. I do not know what stick is up the butt of some people here, but take it with a grain of salt. As far as it being neurological, the easiest way to tell it push his rear-end around his front in a circle, if he continuously steps on himself and/or trips and almost falls over, then it MOST LIKELY is neurological. Hopefully you have a good vet and she can figure this out for you. Good luck...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

if the horse show signs of being sore you -- STOP what you are doing

the horse is telling you hes sore and you and another 2 people continued to ride him including your trianer-- says a lot about your trainer in my eyes if she cant tell from either the horse himself or from the ground

the horse is 21 and old boy not all horses are agile at 21, hes older than you think just liek a dog has 7 yrs to a humans so does a horse in his years,
    if thehorse isnt fit and you took him on trial rides then he comes back with a bad back as you say becuase you mounted him from the ground 3/5 times as he wouldnt go forwards over a ditch or what ever-- he been telling you all the way hes not a happy bunny and you ignored him,,

respect for other peoples property as hes not yours, and respect for the hrose himself

sorry but i tend to agree with the others that said you inconsiderate

even your explinations are not surficent-- the horse is 21 and tried his best for you
    the horse woner allows you to rider her 21 yr old who trys his best for you

and what do you do in return--- moan - and then get others on him when hes sore

how much do you respect him as horse or other people property -- nil by the sounds of it

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

That was the first thing through my mind as well... and I did totally get the humour.
    BUT other than a neuro condition, a body sore horse will get like that as well. Different surfaces, hard surfaces will cause some body issues. Stuff like you and I might experience. And we take an anti inflammatory or whatever pain killer we choose to alleviate the soreness. You could try a gram or two of bute or some banamine paste or injection. See if something changes toward the better. Don't go expecting to rider the hair off of him, but see if there is an improvement.
    As for the injecting thing, He's 21. In my humble opinion He's had a lot of life. He likely is what he is. I just don't know that I could justify injecting an old horse. , And I'll do it if absolutely necessary. I am stingy with that stuff. BUT I think that a course of Adequan is a good thing along with supplements to deal with the joint issue. He's given his life to the enjoyment of people in so many ways in his many years. Facts are he might just be slowing down.

I take pride in being a sarcastic gal. I often find the most inappropriate things funny. Whether it was intended to be a joke or not, I didn't see anything humorous about that.

I get the feeling that it was a serious post until it got the bad reaction. I didn't see any questions about what could be wrong with him, what should I do to make him more comfortable, how can I make him better, etc. But hey, whatever. Maybe that was the sarcastic way of asking what can be done to help the horse.