The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Hay

Alos, check out: The Ultimate Guide to Pampering Your Horse for tons of grooming tips.

Quote Originally Posted by RomeosGirl View Post
    RB - how much paprika are you using & how far in advance of a show do you have to stop using it?
    I'm riding what is supposed to be a black horse & right now he looks more like a dun
    He's already getting garlic for the flies, so let's add some more spices right?
    1 TB daily. I would read the rules regarding capscaicin (I'm too tired to look up the spelling) for withdrawal time, but I think it's 7 days.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Ok this is funny and sort of related.
    I was getting ready for a show and went to the store near my house for like the third time, here is what was in my grocery cart.

-25" dog choke chain
    - two rolls of duct tape
    -Vagsil
    -9 volt batteries
    - 4 bottles of wine
    -case of Corona
    -bungie cords
    -Bug spray
    -cat food

The check out lady drives the school bus in my neighborhood.. and says, "looks like it is going to be an interesting weekend."

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    Just a warning and I know I'll get blasted.

Try to stay away from those blowers in the barn. You stir up all sorts of very, very find dust that just never settles. Everyone who blows out their barns as a cleaning tool, daily, weekly or whatever usually has terrible allergy/breathing problems in their horses.
    I love my leaf blower- I even leaf blow out my truck and my house.

For the best mane braids ever: braid in coated upholsterer's thread instead of yarn. It braids in much neater and tighter. Also holds alllllllll day beautifully. For tails, work in some of your grandma's Dippity Doo. It's ancient but, trust me, that tail will lay neat and stay tight.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I use Skin So Soft on rainrot. Works like a charm.

Thanks for all these super grooming tips, love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    I use Skin So Soft on rainrot. Works like a charm.

Thanks for all these super grooming tips, love 'em!
    Skin So Soft RULES! It also keeps the flies away!

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    IMO, it works really well but you do need to be aware of the testing issue that Trixie mentioned. I don't think it has any effect on dapples (that's BOSS)

My horse reddish bay horse stays VERY dark with the Paprika

Before Paprika and After Paprika

As for my tips: If it's too cold to bathe, curry, curry, curry the dirt up and use a natural bristle brush and a squirt bottle with a vetrolin/water mix. Squirt the brush and then brush dirt off. Do the same with a rub rag. (My horse hadn't had a bath in about three months in that second picture).

The squirt bottle mixture will also take sweat marks from schooling off and let the coat quickly dry before you go into the ring.

Dryer sheets will help get the dusties off and will help the coat lay flat.
    Wow, that's impressive!!!! What a diffence Paprika made with your beauty! How much are you feeding him??? My daughter rides a dappled rose gray pony. He used to be really dark, but is lightening up fast. Someone told me to try the Paprika to bring out the dapples he still has (there are still lots!) Any other ideas for the dappled grays?

RugBug, one more question on the Paprika....how long did it take for there to be that big of a difference in coloring?????!!! WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by fourh mom View Post
    Very sudsy and whitened the Charlolais fairly well. Did't get out all the green though.
    We use miracle white for the show cattle. Does take care of the grass stains!

human disposable razors for a very nice shave (closer than clippers)
    "Riding a horse is not a hobby to be picked up & laid down, it is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole & once it has done so, he will have to accept his life will be radically changed." - RWE

Quote Originally Posted by showmom68 View Post
    RugBug, one more question on the Paprika....how long did it take for there to be that big of a difference in coloring?????!!! WOW!
    1 TB daily

It's best given before they start shedding their summer or winter coat. That's when it has the most effect.

Again...be aware that it can/will drug test as the pain reliever capsaicin, which is illegal.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I just want to shout out that alcohol quick silver thing. AMAZING, especially when you pull out the white pony right before he has to show only to find a large manure spot on his face. It's magical.

I want to add an AMAZING recipe for hoof oil that you can put on their feet EVERY time you ride them because it's so good for them. It also makes them smell like Chinese or Thai food:

1/2 Venice Terpentine (must be melty, they have little heaters or you can let them sit in the blazing sun)
    1/2 Peanut oil (hence the thai food!! )
    4 capsules of Fish oil (you can find these in a health food store, you need to puncture the plastic with a seem ripper and squeeze the oil into the can)

This is the BEST stuff, hope someone else tries it!

Default paprika/Black as Knight

We have a black horse and would love to keep him that way. We have been using paprika, but not nearly a tablespoon a day. Have horses tested positive when using the Black as Knight?

Default Southern Exposure:

Leaf blowing out your house!!!!! What a concept! You are the woman!

It is super fun!!

I wrap Glad Press n Seal wrap around my leg (over socks over breeches). The sticky side ensures the wrap stays put and my tall boots come on and off so much easier. No longer need the silicone spray.

Went to put on my tall boots one day and had found they shrunk sitting in my closet (some of my clothes did that as well....it's the darndest thing). Could not find the silicone spray and thought of saran wrap. Of course I was out of saran wrap but had plenty of Glad Press & Seal. A role now stays in my dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeIt View Post
    We have a black horse and would love to keep him that way. We have been using paprika, but not nearly a tablespoon a day. Have horses tested positive when using the Black as Knight?
    i have heard that about black as knight. as for the paprika it does work well on bays- BUT made my black horse sorta reddish. also i have this inkeling that it made his tummy upset.
    for my black horse i like blackenall and he wears one of those really silly looking fly sheets with a neck thing. seems to really help but the other horses make fun of him.

for fly spray- skin so soft + Tea Tree oil + touch of white Vinegar+ water so its not too thick. good for tick repellent too.

oxy clean on the tail/ mane is good too.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

I use neosporin (the human stuff) on minor scrapes (it makes them heal faster).
    I like to do my after bath grooming with a soft body brush & soft dandy brush (my horses are tender...) But...I groom them when they're still a bit damp. That way, as I brush my horses & then scrape the 2 brushes against each other after every stroke I'm cleaning the brushes at the same time I clean the horses. I use a towel to make sure lower legs are dry & am a fanatic about dry legs before putting them back up or out for scratches prevention.
    I use fans on the ground in front & behind horses in grooming area to help dry them faster--never had one bothered by this.
    I love my leaf blower--refused to use it at first, but my husband made me a believer--I even use it to clean dust off my fans in the stalls, the stall walls, the stall dividers, the stall fronts, the walls of the aisles, the blankets hanging on racks--you name it, I blow it. But, I never blow when horses are inside, and I wait a bit after blowing to bring them in. Maybe we should start a "leaf blower clique?"
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

To prevent your horse from getting bites in their ears or on the midline of their bellies, rub a tiny bit of icthamol/black salve in their ears and on their bellies. They won't get any bites and therefore you won't get the warts in their ears. It makes their ears look wonderful if they are clipped. Very shiny and dark.

If you have one with very white warts in their ears, Bluecote wound spray will cover the white spots and it looks completely black in the ears. Works great for shows. A week later you will have purple ears, but it's worth it.