The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My personal fave..really really good elbow grease. I learned the hard way last year that trying to take short cuts on my horse just didn't pay off. (Conditioning spray made his hair fall out and his skin flake up really badly.) A lot of currying is the besst way to get a really clean coat out of your horse and 1000 strokes in the same direction on the same square of hair will get a really nice shine.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

Vetrolin keeps flies away. Bathing with it really reduces the bug problem for my guy.

When brushing the tail (rarely) twist it up tight, brush a little at the end, the loosen a little more of the twist and brush that little bit. Repeat until the whole tail is done. The whole thing looks full and beautiful when finished.

Hemorrhoid cream is also great for hair growth on wounds.

Okay, tell me more about the bananna in the ears thing???Never heard this one. How does it work? Anyone else ever tried this?

one of my old employers showed me a trick to keep brass nameplates, chains etc.. shiny, vinegar, that stuff works wonders for so many different things. another was listerine and water in a spray bottle for a quick shine after brushing, (curry, brush, wipe listerine) makes them shiny and smell minty. boot polish will cover any little nicks or scrapes they might have, and it comes off pretty easily with a bath.

ETA: if your at a horse show and can't wash your saddle pads right away put spray n' wash on them so that the stains don't set in, you can spray it on things up to a week before washing. works really well with mud and other stubborn stains.
    Last edited by jumpjesterjump; Jun. 5, 2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling :)
    R.I.P. Bourneville Jester 12/06/06

Blow drying and straightening the mane/tail make them shiny and very easy to braid. It takes a little time to straighten the first few times, but well worth it!
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Yes the banana thing sounds cool. I have a horse with some white fungus in his year that he came with does it help with that as well as worts? and what about the big black growths i have one with that too, it just seems odd but very interesting!

My favorite grooming kit items are my baby wipes (which, along with other things mentioned, are pretty decent for tack cleaning) and my rubber curry mitt. The mitt is flexible so I can use it on the horse's legs and if they're like the guy I currently ride all over their face. He likes it if I curry his forehead....nearly puts him to sleep

If you don't have access to hot water, an electric kettle is great and takes up little extra space. It's a lifesaver for spot baths on cold days.

This one is probably a gimme, but clean your brushes after every stroke.

Orvus has been around horse shows for more than 40 years...

My newest favorite thing is micro fiber towels. They suck up dust. It's amazing how clean it gets the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernexposure View Post
    -2 parts listerine mixed in squirty bottle with one part glycerin- spray in the tail and massage and also in the mane to stimulate growth
    -fungus problems wash whole horse with Dreft has enzymes that kill fungus
    -bug repellant wipes for use in ears
    -that itchy spot that little bugs bite under the horse, just behind the girth rub a little bit of ivermectin paste on the spot and it kills the mites living there
    -white wart type growths in ears will fall off after about a week if you rub the inside of a banana peel on them
    -skin so soft in the bath rinse water- keeps bugs away
    -white tails that are yellowed and white socks wash with Mrs. Stewarts Bluing

That is all I can think of right now...
    What is Dreft? - what is it, never heard of it, where do you purchase?

Dreft is a laundry detergent. I used it a lot for washing baby clothes or items that need gentle care. You can buy it in grocery stores, WalMart, Target, etc.

Ok, has anyone ever heard of giving your horse Paprika to help bring out dapples or to help keep horsey a darker color?? If so, does this work??!?

Orvus has always always always been a favorite shampoo of mine.
    But I have two grooming tips....
    -In the winter when you have a clipped white horse (foxhunting OR showing), to avoid getting them wet in extreme cold, mix a spray bottle with 1/4 Quic Silver and fill the rest of the bottle with alcohol. Spray that on any stains, rub out with a rag and voila! Like you just gave the horse a bath! Make sure to really brush them out or rinse with a wet sponge after being ridden though because the residue of the Quic Silver tends to stick around.
    -Another quick grooming tip for the summer when your horses have their summer coats. I simply curry the horse, brush him out with a stiff brush, then with a rag that's dipped in a mixture of warm warm water/baby oil/ show sheen/ vetrolin, i rub all the excess dirt out, making sure to rinse the rag when it gets dirt on both sides. I let him dry and pick out the tail and feet while doing so and then i take a soft brush and smooth the coat out. So much better than bathing them and taking out all those natural oils in their coat. I finish up with hoof oil on the feet and baby oil around the nose and eyes! Looks like you're ready to show without even having a bath!

I too am curious about the banana peel/ears thing. How does that work? (And who thought of it... I think I'll rub his ear warts with a banana peel?! )

Ok, has anyone ever heard of giving your horse Paprika to help bring out dapples or to help keep horsey a darker color?? If so, does this work??!?
    I've heard it works nicely but do be careful, it tests as capsaicin.

For the barn, the cordless leaf blower has been a Godsend!

For show baths, I love Ivory soap.

A mixture of diaper rash cream and Vagisil works wonderfully to get rid of rain rot. Not the most fun combo to buy in bulk at Walmart, but it works none the less.

But you can't discount the old standard line up of Duct tape, clean rags, a good soft brush and elbow grease!

Default warts and sunburn :-)

Someone mentioned warts above.....I have not tried, but I have heard toothpaste works to help minimize and get rid of warts.

Desitin (diaper rash ointment) works like a charm on sunburns (muzzles, etc.) and dew poisioning (or any other crud that may get on your horses' heels!

I bought this:
    http://www.target.com/Shop-Vac-HangU...p%20vac&page=1
    at Target, along with an upholstery vacuum nozzle.

I can't tell you how much grooming time it's saved me, the thing is light enough to tote around by hand, and it makes my horse as close to squeaky clean as is possible without a bath. And it's only $20!!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a brush to dry up and remove saddle marks on an unclipped horse.

Wisk laundry detergent gets white socks super white.

Bounce dryer sheets are great--especially in the winter. They attract dirt, loose hair, and can be used on the tail to get rid of static. I used to use them before every fox hunt.

Dry your horse with a towel after a bath, let him dry completely on the cross ties, then finish with a dandy brush and then a soft face brush over his entire body.

The night before your horse gets body clipped give him a rinse with water and showsheen (yes, even put it where the saddle goes)... it helps them not look as dry and nasty after being clipped.

I've never tried it, but went to college with a girl that swore by covering her horse from head to toe in mayo after clipping him. She'd hold him outside in the sun and let him graze for a few hours and then give him a bath to get off the mayo. I think she did it 2-3 times after clipping him. I'll say I've never seen a freshly clipped chestnut look so pretty.

This is probably commonsense, but put hoof oil on as your first step in grooming at shows. If it has time to dry then the dirt wont rub it off, and will reduce dirt sticking to hooves.

Clean your brushes in a bucket of 2-3 tablespoons of bleach and water--scrape brushes on the edge of bucket, give a quick rinse with a hose, and lay flat to dry--it makes the brushes look brand new!

Use panty hose to buff your tall boots (also works to cover the buff brush in knee high panty hose and buff that way).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by showmom68 View Post
    IMO, it works really well but you do need to be aware of the testing issue that Trixie mentioned. I don't think it has any effect on dapples (that's BOSS)

My horse reddish bay horse stays VERY dark with the Paprika

Before Paprika and After Paprika

As for my tips: If it's too cold to bathe, curry, curry, curry the dirt up and use a natural bristle brush and a squirt bottle with a vetrolin/water mix. Squirt the brush and then brush dirt off. Do the same with a rub rag. (My horse hadn't had a bath in about three months in that second picture).

The squirt bottle mixture will also take sweat marks from schooling off and let the coat quickly dry before you go into the ring.

Dryer sheets will help get the dusties off and will help the coat lay flat.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    IMO, it works really well but you do need to be aware of the testing issue that Trixie mentioned. I don't think it has any effect on dapples (that's BOSS)

My horse reddish bay horse stays VERY dark with the Paprika

Before Paprika and After Paprika
    RB - how much paprika are you using & how far in advance of a show do you have to stop using it?
    I'm riding what is supposed to be a black horse & right now he looks more like a dun
    He's already getting garlic for the flies, so let's add some more spices right?

Banana wart thing...
    When I was living in Calfornia one of the older guys that worked on the farm told me that he noticed the white warty looking thing in my horse's ear and then told me that his Grandpa taught him to rub the inside white part of the banana peel onto it and it will come off. Ok so next day I ate a banana and figured, what the heck.. so I rubbed the inside of the banana peel and pretty much forgot about it three days later it fell off. That thing had been there a good 4 years and I'd tried Compound W etc... Then this year my young horse has a small white warty thing in his ear - banana peel and week later gone. The other thing that works for skin issues is Rescue Remedy Cream- also gets rid of warts or other mystery issues.
    My Grandpa told me that once a sore has healed to put bacon grease on it to keep the hair from growing back white... So far it has worked.
    Paprika- yea it does work- that is one of the ingredients in Black as Knight- but Paprika will test positive - so stop using it a week before a show.

Default Hay

Just a warning and I know I'll get blasted.

Try to stay away from those blowers in the barn. You stir up all sorts of very, very find dust that just never settles. Everyone who blows out their barns as a cleaning tool, daily, weekly or whatever usually has terrible allergy/breathing problems in their horses.