The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I'm not sure what the laws are in your state but you might want to check what they are regarding other peoples animals coming onto your property. I know that here in texas if a dog comes on to your land you can shoot it on your land. regardless of what it was doing. Here at my place we give the dogs 1 wrning shot (a shot into the ground) and then we shoot them. we do not put up with our neighboors dogs riling up our horses.

We had some neighboors exaclty like yours except they had 6 big rot weilers(Not sure how to spell it) and not two 80 pound pups(although they did have about 4-6 pups not long after) and they would come up to our house and run the fencline and rile up our horses which is not good for the horse at all. So we tried to talk to them about it and just simply and nicely explain and ask them to keep their dogs put up and the lady completely BLEW her top. Was yelling and saying she didnt do anything yada, yada, yada. We had told them that if their dogs came up to our house again we would shoot them. we gave them that warning. they may have not chosen to accept it but we told them what we would do so they woul know and not come to us in a tizzy and throw a tantrum. We told them our law basically. We decided to talk to them it was after their dogs attacked my dog while I was riding down the road (dirt road). My dog would never hurt anyone. she has never snapped or bitten or anything to anyone. she even rides in the truck with our neighboors when they go to feed the cattle. she is just the freindly neighborhood dog to sum it up. And she climbs the gate so we cannot really keep her inside the fence unless we chain her which would make her miserable.
    anyways, when I would ride down the road their rot weilers would always come running out and barking at me and Ginger, my horse, and the would always stop at the end of the driveway and just bark. well one day they decided to come a little farther and my precious dog, who guards me and my horse when we ride, slid inbetween me and the dogs and the attacked her. would not let go. I jhad jumped off my horse and was screaming at the dogs to let her go and they wouldnt. they ended up dragging her up to my house, which is about 100 feet up the road, because she was trying to get away from them. well i was walking up the road dragging my horse along trying to get to my house to tell my dad and, the dogs owners had come up at this time and were walking up to our house to go get the dogs. they were following behind me and ginger and I heard the lady say "you need to keep your dog at home next time". I thougth she was talking to someone else when I later realized she was talking to me. The dogs finally let go of my dogs and then started running the fence riling up our horses more than they had EVER gotten riled up. We had never seen my horses like this. They finally chased the dogs back to their house. and it was all over. my dad went ovwer later that night to talk to them calmly about it and just basically ask them to kleep their dogs penned up because they were dangerous and such. well my dad had asked if her husband was home when she walked out (this was the same lady who told me that I should keep the dog that protected me and prevented them from having to pay our horses vet bill granted the dogs hadnt stopped and attacked me and my horse) she basically flipped out and started yelling at my dad basically right off the bat. All my dad wanted to do was simply and calmly ask them to control their dogs. my dad is not the kind of person to deal with that kind of BS from someone. He almost blew up at her to but once she finished ranting he asked when her husband would be home and he told her that he would come back when her husband was home and talk to him.
    Thank goodness our dog was not hurt.but I was so afraid they were going to kill her. thankfully the let go before they ripped her to shreds. she was about a little less than 1/2 of their size and she is about 45-60 pounds. Shortly after that inceident they ended up moving away for reasons I am not sure of.

But just basically go over and nicely ask them if they would mind keeping their dogs in a fence or on a leash. And explain to them your conncerns but dont accuse them of anything so they dont feel threatened. But DO NOT be suprised if they blow up at you. And I would suggest that if you are going to talk to them prepare yourself for that kiond of thing. Also, I would wait on calliung in the law and talk to them first. If they don do anyting within a week or two then call in the law.

But dont rush into to quickly because they might get back at you somehow. YOu never know with people like that.

Hope it all resolves soon!
    Annie
    Last edited by Annie B.; Jul. 6, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: to add some stuff

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I really liked the idea of the Super Soaker full of poop and ammonia soup!

Too bad your AC is not like ours, I had a stray dog in my yard, she was all freaked out due to a t-storm in the area, and I was trying to help her just find her way out, and she growled at me. After two hours, I called AC, and they came and caught her and took her to the pound. I felt bad, but found out later two things - one, she got adopted, and two - she belonged to a neighbor (I had no idea he had a new dog). No collar, no tag, and he didn't call AC when she was missing????

Good luck, I hope you can manage to convince the dogs to stay on their side of the road and leave you in peace.

I don't know what to say about the doggies but if you think your new neighbors are doing some shifty dealings in your neighborhood you can make (usually) an anon complaint...which might lead to your neighbors relocating.

I had the same problems with cats. I couldn't leave the windows in my car down because the neighbors cats would get in and pee in the backseat. Awesome. One car still smells like urine. This same neighbor said she wouldn't keep the cats inside after the guy across the road complained because his kids were playing in the sandbox (little, little kids) and one of her cats came over and peed in it while the kids were there.

The neighbor just told him "Its normal for cats to do that."

I concluded that the next time I caught one of the cats in my car I was going to drive it to the feral cat shelter. I ended up moving.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

[QUOTE=equusrocks;3343137]I don't know what to say about the doggies but if you think your new neighbors are doing some shifty dealings in your neighborhood you can make (usually) an anon complaint...which might lead to your neighbors relocating.
    [QUOTE]

Doubtful. They had the house bought for them by a relative who didn't want the kids in their old city neighborhood.

I'm with J Swan on this. There are laws regarding this situation and you need to use them.

You should call the Animal Control *every single time* one of those dogs sets foot on your property. Every time. Take a picture of the dog doing so every time. Keep a logbook both of the pictures and of your calls to AC and/or the police. You need a paper trail.

Go to see your own lawyer to find out what your legal options are.

Face up to the fact that your neighbor doesn't care about his dogs and cares even less about you. You need to make him care with the law.

Do not poison the dogs. It's cruel and it's stupid. You know that if the dogs disappear the neighbor will simply go out and get more dogs, and you'll have exactly the same problem. Plus, it's a hideous death for the dogs, and you are liable to poison other animals (including perhaps your own pets) unintentionally.

Not to mention the legal issues.

Animal control and your own lawyer.

Good luck.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

OP, I feel for you. I hope the paintball works; some dogs are so stupid and thick-skinned that discomfort and pain will only shock them, it won't reliably change their minds. Hence the dogs who walk through invisible fences.

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby View Post
    They have dogs AND horses killed on our busy road all the time. The dogs are replaced very quickly....When we complained directly to the owners the woman told us to shoot the dogs... Ticks me off that people like this are allowed to have animals.
    Isn't it silly? I don't understand why the law treats domestic animals as if they're wild animals whose owners had nothing to do with the problem. When I'm in a morbid mood, I google 'dog attack' under News and in about half of the really bad attack stories, the owner voluntarily euthanizes the dog almost instantly, in a clear attempt to cover his/her ass. And it works. Criminal action is never taken against the owner, and the local cops and A/C people are often quoted as saying that hopefully the owner will pay some of the medical costs of the victim, and it won't end up in court; ie, there's frequently no civil penalty either. God forbid the authorities have any zeal about punishing someone who created a danger for the community.

I have had a problem with my neighbor who had 9 dogs when I moved in. A couple of them came to my barn and I tried to discourage it but they were friendly in small numbers. I never approached them as a group until they attacked one of my dogs on my property. They were on top of him trying to kill him. I couldn't even see my dog, just heard his screaming. I scared them off and, of course, had to take him to the vet. He had surgery to repair the damage and was terribly traumatized. I had a hard time getting him out of the house for about 3 weeks and anytime he heard those dogs bark he would whine and hide in the house. I made sure that one of my other neighbors saw what my poor dog looked like, in fact, he helped me get him out of the truck because my boy was so sore and too scared to move when we came back from the vet. I promptly took photos of my dog and prepared a statement about what happened and how much it cost me including losing an entire day of work as if I was presenting it in court. In my area if someone's dog causes damage to your animals or livestock they have to pay for all related costs. Another neighbor had dogs attack a newborn foal and kill it before the mare could even stand up. He shot them and rightly so because it wasn't the first time he complained about the dogs running wild. Incidentally, those dogs were owned by someone else. The town we lived in awarded him not only the sales price that foal would have gotten but also the cost of caring for the mare during her pregnancy.

So I went to my neighbor with a copy of the photos and incident description as well as the vet bill. I was very assertive with him (in a professional manner) and told him that he needed to get a handle on his dogs because all they are pleasant when they run in a pack like that their natural instincts kick in and they had been chasing my horses too. I explained that I loved my horses and that they were very expensive so if any of them were injured by his dogs he could be sure that it was going to cost him a great deal of money. He said "I've always told people that if my dogs caused any trouble just to shoot them." I told him I couldn't do that because I am an animal lover and would only do that in a dire situation. Moreover that was not my responsibility. They are his dogs and that is his responsibility. I also pointed out that by the time his dogs cause me a problem - it is too late. Someone has gotten hurt. We should be preventing the problem. He took it very well and paid my vet bill. Dogs have been reduced to 3 and they have been no trouble.

For awhile there I was carrying pepper spray on my own farm. I told my neighbor that just wasn't right. I shouldn't have to be protecting myself and my animals like that on my own property. I have to say that I did have to use the pepper spray a couple of times as well. I was in the right but still felt horrible watching it.

So, here is my suggestion. Take lots of photos of those dogs on your property. I took photos of his dogs chasing my horses in my pasture. They will see how you are preparing yourself for legal action and that you mean business. They also see it's going to cost them some serious money and with some people that is the only way to get through to them. Send them the photos with a request to keep their dogs penned and send it by certified mail with return receipt. Don't wait until something really horrible happens.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

It's interesting to me about the procrastination on your part. These dogs are going to hurt someone or something on your property. And you're not really doing anything about it. They are pack animals that feed on other animals. They don't care if you love it or not. That switch turns on and boom, you've got larger problems than what you have right now.
    Go to the police, get a gun, shoot the f-ers before they get something of yours. Just think, you're putting them out of their misery from being neglected, untrained dogs too.

Ugh. I have had the same problem with my neighbor and his German Shepherds. And when I lived in Maine, our neighbors' dirt bikes day and night almost drove me crazy. For you to have the double whammy right next to you...you have my deepest sympathy.

J Swan is absolutely right. I know how difficult it is to balance fear of recrimination from a psycho neighbor versus your own rights. But you know what? A bully fears one thing: a bigger bully.
    So stand up to this guy and call the ACO every single time those vermin come onto your property and make it HIS problem when he has to go and bail them out of the pound.
    This will do two things: A. set a precedent in case, God forbid, the dogs hurt you, your children or your animals, B. give the dog owner actual consequences for letting his dogs roam free.

If you can't swing the $$ for a dog proof fence, I also agree that a line of hot tape on T-posts around your property might discourage the dogs. I also love the idea of a paint ball gun...it won't hurt the dog except for a nasty sting, but it will get the message across loud and clear.

Default Bump

Another thread reminded me of this one.

Any updates??

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    Update: Dogs are even more aggressive now and have come across the road, hackles up, standing in OUR yard growling at myself and my husband. I chased the leader back across the road with a golf club and he's a bit spooked. His buddy is stepping up. They keep going back and marking the same spot in MY yard. Tomorrow I am off to Wal-Mart to pick up a paintball gun. Enough of this crap.

They went away almost the entire weekend and left the dogs out the whole time. They were out there growling at us at midnight when we got back from a family picnic one night and fireworks the next.

I'm like to use MY yard for myself and if they are going to be loose all the time I guess I will have to train them to stay out. At this point it won't be hard to wait for them to be in the yard. All I have to do is walk over their marking spot and then retreat and they come over to remark it. Tomorrow they will get a suprise when they do.

(Hubby has already checked that the .38 is indeed sighted in should the dogs decide they want to take it to the next level. Growling at me while I'm carrying the baby is NOT going to endear you to me.)
    Standing in YOUR yard with their hackles up, growling at you wasn't "the next level" enough? Added bonus that the neighbors were gone all weekend. You could have dispatched those nuisance dogs with no witnesses and instead your chance passed you by. What needs to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Standing in YOUR yard with their hackles up, growling at you wasn't "the next level" enough? Added bonus that the neighbors were gone all weekend. You could have dispatched those nuisance dogs with no witnesses and instead your chance passed you by. What needs to happen?

They need to come in to the yard when we are armed. When we went back in the house to get "supplies" they wouldn't cross the road again. I even went upstairs with gun out window and they didn't come over. I am only in the right if they get nailed on my property.
    Their day is coming. The less lethal and lethal options are by the door.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Get a pellet gun and learn to use it.

Paintball gun with rubber training balls is armed and ready by the door. Should that fail something of a higher caliber is available. Rubber training ball should hurt like hell and will leave no mark besides the welt it creates.

In other news maybe the owner will get in trouble for his other activities that involve disrespecting neighboring land owners. I know a few of the neighbors are not impressed with where he's been riding his 4-wheeler.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

You need to protect not only your livestock and property but yourself as well. Last year I was inside my house, walked by my french doors which lead to my deck. There at the door were two huge (120 lbs) furry black adorable looking dogs. I wondered who they belonged to since I know all my neighbors (12). We all live in the woods on acres on a dead end street....so we also know each others animals. I went to tell Mr.RNB about the cute dogs on the deck...when I looked again the dogs were gone so I opened the door and walked out. Since I did not recognize the dogs I thought perhaps they were lost and would have some ID on their collars.

About the time I got to the end of the deck I spot the cute adorable dogs about 10 yards on my path. As soon as they see me they went from being cute and adorable to vicious....baring teeth, barking, growling and coming at me as fast as their paws would carry them. I turned and bolted for the back door...they were right on my heels. I literately 'dove' through the door opening and slammed the door shut with my feet. The dogs NEVER slowed and crashed in.to.my.door....all the while baring their teeth and barking...biting the glass!!! Scared the s#!t out of me....and I'm an animal lover, never been afraid of a creature.

The dogs walk off my deck....I jump up and run to warn Mr.RNB as he was in the garage and I was afraid he was going to come around the corner to see what all the ruckus was about. Luckily he came inside to see what was going on. He grab his gun and cautiously went back outside....I immediately start calling my neighbors...it's a Sunday and normally the kids are outside playing, riding bikes, etc. Mr. RNB comes in and says he saw said dogs trotting down the street but lost sight of them. I find out from other neighbors that the dogs belong to our newest neighbor who lives directly behind me about 15 acres away. Dogs had already chased one neighbor when he was walking his dog....another neighbor was chased in to his own garage with one of the dogs ripping his shirt trying to bite him.

New neighbor had apologized to both, saying these dogs were really sweet, blah, blah, blah. New neighbor said he was putting in an electric dog fence...which he had not. Neighbors and I decided enough was enough...If these dogs would chase and attack an adult I did not want to think what they would do to a child or animal.

So I went down to the Magistrate's office that night and filed a complaint, as did my other neighbors. We all went to court and I have not seen the dogs since.

I do not expect to get a Christmas card from these neighbors and quite frankly I don't care. I have never shot an animal in my life but that day I would not have given it a second thought had these dogs turned on anyone in my family, 2-legged and 4-legged, or one of the little kids out playing hop-scotch in the street.