The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    Called town clerk and as of 2002 our town has a lengthy ordinance that allows dogs to be unleased on their own property. The second they step foot off property they are required to be leased. Dogs are required to be restrained at night or when unattended. I think I'll wait for hubby to get home, but will place a call to dog control officer and let her explain the laws to them.
    Your state also has a dangerous dog law. Your ACO will know that one too.

Sounds like you're taking the right steps. I'm very sorry that your neighbor is a jerk.

Sad thing is - the real losers are always the dogs. It's not their fault their owner is a jerk - but the dogs always pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdhaurmsmom View Post
    I wonder if you'd get further 'aversion-training' the two dogs, than getting the owner to cooperate. What could you do that wouldn't hurt them, but would make a lasting bad impression and make them shun your place? My first thought was pepper spray - but that's probably going into the hurting them zone. Is there a less extreme thing similar to pepper spray? Ooooh, I know...grab 'em and get out the horse clippers and clip a message on their fur: "keep me home"...
    I went out with a golf club, but that probably didn't mean too much. They don't like when I growl at them to go home and they get moving. The problem is that they are loose and quite capable of watching me leave and realizing that nobody is stopping them from coming over during the days I'm not home.

Will call dog control officer and maybe talk hubby in to a high powered paintball gun. I hear frozen ones hurt like hell.

The ACO is of course the first to call but as for fencing consider the cost of running a couple strands of hot wire around the bottom of the fence to the vet bills (not to mention emotional anguish) of injured and/or dead horses. If a horse got injured you'd have to find the money so I'd find the money to secure the fences too. That may mean getting a Lowe's CC and paying it off on time. Good luck. It's a shame when you have to worry about other people's animals.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Don't say another word to anyone about the animals-if you call Animal Control they will know you turned them in. Next time when you know the idiot owners are gone get five pounds of hamburger or something else tempting, grab the dogs, load them in the car and take them as far away as you can drive before the shelter a few counties over closes and turn them in as what they are--unloved and uncared for strays--whether they get adopted or not you'll never see them again. Of course the fool will immediately go out and get more dogs-so you buy more hamburger. If this idiot gets mad at you because the ACO drops in or one of your animals offs his dog all kinds of horrible things can happen to your animals, your family or to your property---people that are basically mean and nuts will get you back and filing a lawsuit or filing charges won't undo what's happened when he retaliates.

I have neighborhood dogs visit a barn we own, find "evidence" in the aisleway and sometimes they wander in when I'm there. I don't live there though so it's harder to keep them away. We coincidentally had to control a mice/rat problem and so I went around to the neighbors warning them that I needed to set out rat poison in case their dogs wandered over. Now, I'd feel horrible if their dogs got into it and set the poison in enclosed areas no animals could get to, but their owners don't know that. I'd like to know how to keep the neighbor's wandering chicken flock away.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Don't say another word to anyone about the animals-if you call Animal Control they will know you turned them in. Next time when you know the idiot owners are gone get five pounds of hamburger or something else tempting, grab the dogs, load them in the car and take them as far away as you can drive before the shelter a few counties over closes and turn them in as what they are--unloved and uncared for strays--whether they get adopted or not you'll never see them again. Of course the fool will immediately go out and get more dogs-so you buy more hamburger. If this idiot gets mad at you because the ACO drops in or one of your animals offs his dog all kinds of horrible things can happen to your animals, your family or to your property---people that are basically mean and nuts will get you back and filing a lawsuit or filing charges won't undo what's happened when he retaliates.
    Please note this is illegal and can result in the same sort of bad feelings. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out the likely suspects when both dogs vanish together. What if they have microchips?

I just told the people that had the offending dog that I hated to do it but next time the dog was over here it was dead. My animals were not going to be endangered.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

You must be living on the other side of our neighbours

In the end the dogs loose.

But I like the idea of telling all the neighbours you are setting out ratpoison to control a problem. They then either shape up, or the dogs deserve a better home to begin with and you are better of bringing them to the pound.

how expensive would it be to run a portable hot wire fence set at doggy height across the front of the property? I suspect a fence is your only permanent option, if you dispose of these dogs they'll just get some more.

Fill a large syringe with ammonia. Spray dogs with ammonia whenever you see them on your property. They hate it and will get the message.

When I was 9, a pack of dogs would chase my dog-phobic pony when I was out riding by myself. We asked a vet, who will forever remain nameless, what to do, and he suggested this trick. Mom asked him if it would make the dogs go blind if we got it in an eye, and he said, "Maybe for a few days, but it will go away." Safety first!

I was not permitted out without a classy fanny pack/syringe after that. The dogs stopped chasing my pony after one good hit -- it worked like a charm.

The ammonia trick is a good one. I wonder if I already donated the Super Soaker gun I had.... hmmm... much cheaper than a paintball gun. Will have to go look for that water gun. Thanks for the tip.

We already have a hot stand on the bottom of all pastures because of the previous incident. The top wire is hot for the horses and the bottom for stray dogs. I just don't want them in the habit of coming over here anyway. I have a little one that will be crawling around soon too and I shouldn't have to worry about her safety too when she's playing in the yard as she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marieke View Post
    But I like the idea of telling all the neighbours you are setting out ratpoison to control a problem. They then either shape up, or the dogs deserve a better home to begin with and you are better of bringing them to the pound.
    That's good.

You can say "gee, I've got this nasty bunny population problem for some reason, but I am putting out poison to handle it--better keep your dog off my property". Then he'll either lock his dog up or if it disappears (i.e. you take it to some shelter far away ) he'll think it died from the poison which you warned him about & he was the neglectful owner.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    Puppies are now bigger and about 80lbs. Like every other animal they have they let these two run loose, even when they are not home. I have chased them out of the driveway before and they growled and barked at me while standing on my property. Today I look out and they are back by my horse paddock assessing the situation.
    Golly, don't you love when you see 80lb dogs doing that alert, interested "This looks like a good place to mark, claim as my turf and start attacking anyone who trespasses!" surveillance on your property? I had a similar problem, and ended up calling the cops. You can't let it go on; the longer they hang around, marking everything bigger than a blade of grass and familiarizing themselves with the lay of the land, the more dangerous they get. They're probably not wrapped too tight to begin with; trashy people rarely have dogs who aren't their canine equivalent. Call the police. That sometimes works. Unfortunately, the trashier the person is, the less likely the police will have any effect. Like their dogs with your property, trashy people have a high comfort level with police intervention because they have so much experience with it.

As I have said many a time on COTH I keep my paint ball gun loaded and handy. & POOF! I pepper them with paint balls. No more Stray dogs! - People don't like their dog to come home bruised and painted up - so they keep them HOME! And if they continue to let them run the dogs never come back to get painted a second time My property MY rules!

I know they're not really cheap...but they're not really expensive either and a paintball gun works wonders with unwanted critters. From unwanted dogs to raccoons to groundhogs to opossums to even deer eating your gardens. (to trespassing quad drivers ) I also have a rifle...but have to say I use my paintball gun probably 25x more often than the rifle. It works 99% of the time...and with stray dogs the doggie goes home with neon colored splattered proof that it wasn't at home all over it. A paintball round hurts like hell...it's an extremely rare dog that doesn't run like Hades away when hit by one. And it's rare for one to come back...getting hit twice is the most I'e ever had to hit a dog. They're seriously worth every penny and get used often. (I don't have gopher/groundhog holes anywhere on my property either...they move out damned quick after getting shot once or twice and it's really easy to nail one sitting up in a paddock)
    I have no qualms about shooting a dangerous dog (dangerous to me or my animals) but I prefer not to kill a dog because it was cursed with an asshat for an owner. I'll do it if I have to...but I always go for the paintball gun first and it's always worked. Not oly to deter the dog but the neighbors learned darned quick that yes indeed, Fido and Poopsie were coming onto my property and I've had a neighbor thank me for shooting their dog with a paint round instead of a bullet. And if you miss the dog chasing your horse...you don't risk killing your horse. Just pissing it off or spooking it.
    If you do shoot a dog...it's actually better/safer for you to NOT warn the neighbor about that or thraten to do that. Many times even though you're staying completely legal by shooting a dog...a neighbor can harbor one helluva grudge and then harass you or your animals back. I wouldn't take that chance...you can shoot a dog but not a neighbor. So if you do shoot a dog go with the shoot, shovel and shut up.
    You can get a decent paintball gun at most sporting stores for a tad over $100. For about $150 you can get a nice paintball rifle with scope...and you'd have to be Ray Charles to miss with a scope. (Just remember to aim slightly ahead of a running target)
    If the dogs aren't mean...you can always catch one and coat it in fresh manure from nose to tail and send it home. That sometimes deters owners from letting the dog roam.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My solution to stray dogs on my property is my own 130 lb rottie. This is his yard and no dog enters wityhiut his permission. He does not under any circmstances put one big toe off my property. The asshet neughbirs down the road with their pack of loose pit bulls know that they need to keep their dogs away from his domain. Now, if I could just solve the firewokjs problem as easily. The rottie also deters unsavory human types as well by his appearance alone. Little do they know that he loves everyone.

This is why I love COTH. So many good ideas. Hubby and I are glad to know the ammonia trick. I'm wondering what a poop soup/ammonia combo would get for a reaction when fired from a super soaker. ???

I was looking at paintball guns and would love to have an excuse to get one. Anybody have any recommendations? I love the look of the assault rifle ones at Walmart, but they're 350 bucks. Hubby will like the new "toy" too, but we do have a family budget to think about. Any recomendations for set ups under $150 are welcome. Feel free to PM me. Also, do you freeze the paintballs or just use at room temperature?

I have a 105 pound shepherd myself - mostly black. She's intimidating and works enforcement now as she ages when the corgi alarms call her in for back up. The problem is that I am not an asshat and don't leave my dogs out when I'm not home. I don't want a dog fight, but they can't defend their turf when they are in the house while we're away from the property.

I am going to some yard sales this weekend so I will keep my out for a super soaker. (Figures, I donated the one I had a few months ago to Salvation Army.) I'll also keep an eye out for a paintball gun, but I'm hesitant to get one that way in case it needs reassembled, cleaned, etc. I'd rather buy new and know it'll work when I need it.

Thanks for the tips. I think paintballs might be the way to go. They need to learn this is not an extension of their yard.

The pobllem with your shepherd is that she is female and doesm't mark her terrotiry, My Rottire iis in the house when I'm not home, but his territory is clearly markied.

Default no threats

if you say you are setting out rat poison, they might poison or shoot your dogs.
    the paint ball guns do work. use redso they will think the dogs are injured. just don't let them see you shoot the dogs and don't leave paint splatters around the area.
    of course if your dogs and cats are leaving your yard, you can be cited (for the dogs) also.
    best to fence in your dogs, for their safety.
    and the hot wire at the bottom of the fence, as suggested by a poster, is good, as you can use solar power battery, ramp up the voltage to high, and maybe the shock will keep the dogs away and keep your dogs home.
    and this helps with coyotes till they figure it out as they are so smart.
    once you call animal control it is war. and animal control in some areas is not sympathetic to victims being animals.
    a human adult or child usually has to be bitten before animal control gets upset in white neighborhoods, especially upscale white neighborhoods, I found that out myself in atlanta and savannah. discrimination by neighborhood value.
    and be careful doing anything, like taking the dogs away as you can be arrested for stealing their dogs!!!
    actually, it is best if you get bitten by one of the dogs. then their insurance company will straighten them up.
    so sad but that is reality.

My advice,after going to court 4 times,is SSS.Our AC did what she could...I had 2 attacks (excuse me, "livestock harrassment) in my barn,leaping at horses,snapping at their faces (one incident videotaped),one attempted t/o attack-I got them away from horses that time with biscuits.Last attempt to attack was on my own deck-tried to get in my house to get my puppy (one had a paw in opening screen door!).Animals are 90 lb. PB,100 lb. GSD...Dogs were released to owner-because he has a concrete floored,roofed kennel,THAT HE DOES NOT USE.So here I sit,with a loaded shotgun.Getting my pistol permit next week,with a permit to carry.Looking into possibly getting a taser too. Not fun with a 2 acre farmyard,5 t/outs,miles of available trails,that I can't use.I will NEVER use the court system again to help me,it's all set up for defendants,believe me...

To the OP,one quiet day,when they come,is to SSS.If they question you,merely say,"You know,I saw the dogs wandering in the road.This pickup stopped,and these 2 guys took the dogs.Looked kinda like your friend---------(name some person they know with a truck),so I never thought anything of it."Look puzzled.Remember,no evidence,no crime.AC is NOT CSI,they won't look too hard.Good Luck!

You know, I really love all these stories about what to do.

But to be frank, some of these suggestions could result in the OP getting into some hot water. Such as the "rumor" that she's putting poison out. If any dog in the area gets sick of disappears - she's going to be in trouble.

Real trouble.

That's why there are laws. Her duty is clear, the neighbors duty is clear, and law enforcement should be involved.

Taking the law into her own hands may result in HER being the one arrested.

So please, when giving advice, please don't advocate vigilante justice. Act within the law. That's what it's there for. Her state spells out for her what she can and cannot do.