The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big name trainer clinics coming up near TN or KY?

No farther than 4 hours from nashville. anyone know anything?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

This won't help if you're wanting to ride, but if you want to audit there's a Jan Bynny clinic this weekend outside of Louisville.
    Emily

This weekend is out for me, but thanks. Its a start.
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

You could always find a BNT and go to their place for a weekend of lessons instead. I've done that with Cathy Weischhoff -- drive down Saturday... do a lesson... stay in Lex overnight, do another lesson on Sunday... drive home. Actually cheaper than a "clinic".
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

in the same vein as tle, do you ride with or have you ridden with Bill Hoos? I really like his teaching style. He is an ICP certified instructor and is based near Nashville. Website, http://www.wil-lobluefarm.com
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

My friend bought a horse from him. Would it be beneficial t only do one or two lessons with someone? Would i learn like that?
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I'd say that doing a lesson or two with a BNT would maybe even be better than a clinic considering that you're talking about 1 on 1 attention. You'd definitely learn a lot!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    in the same vein as tle, do you ride with or have you ridden with Bill Hoos? I really like his teaching style. He is an ICP certified instructor and is based near Nashville. Website, http://www.wil-lobluefarm.com
    Eqsiu took lessons with him while working on her upper ratings for pony club and really liked him.
    Proud mom of a Chincoteague Pony

Indianapolis is probably beyond the 4 hours, but maybe you can conisder this Ian Stark clinic:

http://www.usea8.org/index.php?optio...onth=06&day=21

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

If you are in Nashville you are only 2 hours from Jim Graham! I lived at his place for 4 years and the drive up to Nashville was very nice and on a smaller hwy so it is not all interstate and crazy 18wheelers. Very scenic.

You will love lessons with him!!!!!!!

His website is www.meadowrunfarm.com
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

I'd second working with Jim Graham. Jim worked with me and had me in his "program" even though I could only get down there once every month or two. He's done that with several riders in the Nashville/Franklin area over the years.

Clinics around here seem to be a rare thing. Partly because using Percy Warner XC is financially prohibitive--they wany to make money even though most clinics barely break even. Only the Pony Club can officially bring in clinicians without a whopping park surcharge. The other possible is the Area III Adult Rider program, but it seems to be based out of the Atlanta area and just doesn't seem to do much here. (One local member volunteer to tried to get them to do some clinics up here a few years ago and their solution was to hook her up with someone in Knoxville seeming to not understand that Knoxville isn't much closer to us than Atlanta.) I'm a sometimes member and haven't done much in the last couple years so they still might be worth looking into.

Best bet for clinics would be to try to hook up with someone in the Lexington/Louisville area that could keep you in the loop as to what's going on up there.

www.mseda.org is the web site for Mid South Eventing and Dressage Assoc. The will have info on shows and clinics in KY.

I agree that Jim Graham is another great choice, as is Debbie Crowley, www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com. Forgot how close Nashville is to their places in N. Alabama
    Last edited by scubed; Jun. 10, 2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: correct URL
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Nashville is probably 1.5 hours +- from Debi. I think she is about 30 minutes +- from Jim's. She is also AWESOME and just built a new indoor . She trains with Jim regularly she she would also be a good option. Her horses are great. I know, I bought my SuperMare from her years ago

Here is the correct link : http://www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com/index.htm for some reason scubed's link didn't work
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I didn't even think about how close you are to Jim's. He's fantastic. I spent a week at his place when we moved up to Prelim and had a BLAST. Would do that again in a heartbeat.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'd love to go take some lessons with Bill with you, if you're interested. I went and watched him for a day last week and I think he has a lot to offer event riders. He does some exercises I've not seen used before and really seems to care- he asked me all about my horse even though I was just there to watch and offered some advice- without the typical "you should come lesson with me! we can work through it!" tangent I usually get. He said he would come up to me if I could get a group together, too.

Default sorry, but...

I'm so jealous! I just drove 10 hours (one way) to audit a clinic with David O'Connor. The nearest clinic I've ever been able to attend was a 6 hour drive. Sigh.

Enjoy it!

I'll definitely add another for Jim. Amazing instructor. I can't say enough about him.

Also, I'm south of Lexington, so not only will I be keeping an eye on this for future reference, but I've also been tossing around the idea of organizing some clinics at our barn. I know that between the BO, myself, and some of her students, we may have enough riders to do one, but really, with clinics, the more the merrier, right? I've done some research on local instructors, but I've been hesitant to make the calls to find out who may be available, but if you're interested in coming this way (we're about 3 hours from Nashville) then let me know, and I can include you in plans that we make.

The biggest thing is that we don't really have XC. There are a few jumps, but nothing significant enough for a full XC lesson, and the land is limited, so while we may have hopes of building more, it still won't be a full XC.

I would love to join you for a lesson with Bill. I e-mailed him on pricing, but never got a reply. What does he charge? Do you know? Anyway! Im very interested.
    *Paige*
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

I *think* he charges $60/half hour... but I could be wrong. That said, when my friend rode with him, she rode for easily an hour, if not more, and only paid for 1/2 hour. I'll see if I can find out...