The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reins in stadium??

Are colored reins allowed?? or only the usual black/brown whatever.

Allowed. But I personally find it obnoxious to ride in colours for stadium.

Color in show jumping is nothing less than tacky. Dark tack, white pads, dark jacket and hat, light breeches. IMHO.

Ugh...am I in the wrong forum? I thought this was eventing.

Follow the rules, go clean and ride well.

Crabby this morning...........................................
    It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up.

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/profile/fallbrook

When x/c is run immediately after stadium I ride in my cross-country tack (regardless of color.) When stadium is separate I try to keep it formal.
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extrordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    - Douglas Adams

If my xc pad is still looking decent after xc, I'll use it for stadium. My colors are navy/white so a navy pad with white trim doesn't look too garish. However, I always took my colored xc reins off. You might be able to pull it off depending on your colors.
    Proud mom of a Chincoteague Pony

Also depending on age. If kid is safer with rainbow reins to keep hands in right place, then by all means. Actually probably true for anyone. But if you are buying reins for an SJ bridle, I'd go conservative.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I think conservative is best, but I also only use reins that match my bridle, meaning black or brown. Though I do ride with a navy poly pad for stadium.

Allowed.

But ugly.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Also depending on age. If kid is safer with rainbow reins to keep hands in right place, then by all means. Actually probably true for anyone. But if you are buying reins for an SJ bridle, I'd go conservative.
    Or you are like me and your mare stretches her neck over the jump and you need to remember where they are *supposed* to be after the jump....even though you are a big, tough Adult and should be able to figure these things out without rainbow reins.

Either that or you just like them. There is no rule barring them and you aren't being judged on looks, just making it over the jump - at least not being judged by anyone that counts.

If you have to look down at your hands to know where to adjust them on the reins, I daresay a little more schooling is in order.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Also depending on age. If kid is safer with rainbow reins to keep hands in right place, then by all means.
    Children get a dispensation from the unwritten rules concerning what is and is not tacky. They can have colored reins AND petal bell boots--in alternating neon colors even. Adults can do anything they want, but they don't get a bye in the court of public opinion.

If you don't care about public opinion (like so many eventers I know) go for colored reins!

Gross!

White rubber reins, or black/brown to match the rest of your tack.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lol Fallbrook... I agree with the all the "who cares"... do whatever makes you happy. Jump Safely and have Fun.

Talking classical, please!

Matt man, J W, Jim Wofford is open about he need t to keep it "classical", ie., no colored reins ,pads, or"fuzzies" as a result, I never even considered riding in anything else.
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Jun. 6, 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: tpos
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Even in eventing there are fashion faux pas! I'm currently trying to explain this to someone who used vet wrap as protection for her horse's hind legs. Just to clarify, not porters, just vetwrap...one leg lime green, the other purple.

Save your rainbow reins for XC and grab something more subtle for SJ.

hopefully that person put the vetwrap AROUND boots instead of just by itself!!

so....are white rubber reins considered classical??

Eh, I have never been one for 'fashion'.

And yes, the days of needing rainbow reins are long gone for me....that was my first show season when everything was so scary anyway.

Personally, if it is not against the rules, will not hurt your horse and you like it - go for it.

If people are so stuck on the color of your reins that they cannot see past them to see how well you ride, they aren't worth your time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    Why? Race horses run in vet wrap over *gasp* bare legs all the time. If you know what you are doing it makes perfect waterproof, no slip, form fitted 'boots' --of course if you don't know how, and don't have someone to teach you (not something I advise learning from a book), I wouldn't try it.

GM has been griping at eventer attire for years. A lot of things are 'normal' that would have seemed inexcusably tacky 20 years ago (why would you want a STRIPE down your helmet). If its not illegal and you like it, suit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    nope, just vetwrap!!

Race horses usually have vetwrap combined with a rundown pad or something similar. They also aren't jumping solid obstacles so the need for protection against bumps is not so great. Vetwrap alone on hind legs is not ideal for an eventer and if we're talking about fashion, which we are, it's certainly not trendy!