The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

starry_night Guest

Default dressage colors (brown/cream vs. black/white)

So I'm buying new tack for my horse. I need a new saddle, bridle, everything. Back when I evented, I rode dressage in brown saddle/bridle and cream colored breeches and pad. I like the brown/cream look and it looks better on my red dun horse (black makes him look orange). I also, however, have a dark grey mare who I'll be far more likely to compete on anytime soon. She'll eventually be white and brown speckles, but for now she's a marble of dark grey, white and also some brown freckles.
    Alright, I'm rambling a bit, but my point is would cream and brown look ok on a grey horse? Is this a combination of colors that goes well on any horse I may ride (besides of course a buckskin, those are always stunning in black)? Or am I better off going with the classic black and white?

I happen to LOVE the brown/cream look. If you prefer it, go for it.

That being said, I think a gray would look better in black/white. Even if it will be more fleabitten-y and have some brown later, I this the cream might still look slightly off.

You should post pics of your two, though. We wanna see.

My vote is black and white all the way! I personally really dislike brown tack.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

What about black and cream? White on a grey often makes them look yellow and a bit grubby.

Classic brown tack is always in good taste. It is restrained, elegant, and not as showy as black. I'm not referring to orangey or Newmarket-colored, but soft dark brown. Yes, even for gray horses. It's a neutral, and not as sharp as black. I had a gray stallion once and he looked just fine in brown tack. The Spanish Riding School schools their young stallions, who are almost all gray, in ordinary brown tack on a daily basis.

Everybody else has black tack. Be different.

A dark brown is lovely. I think it's a refreshing change from the uniform of black tack (and you can get some major deals on brown dressage saddles).

DO IT!!!!

Join the brown tack club! You'll never go back...
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

I love the brown and cream look! It just doesn't look good on my black horse

For grey or white horses I like the black saddle pad with black tack. The USEF rule book just states the the saddle pad must be a "conservative" color and I have seen quite a few grey horses competing at recognized shows with the black pad.

I'd go with Bl/wt pad or Bl/black pads; I don't think grey horses look good in cream..........

Feronia, as a Palomino, looks fabulous in brown/cream. I think a lot of the "colored" horses will look better in it.

I ride her in a nice all-purpose dark brown Barnsby saddle that I got used, and a old, lovely brown bridle with cream accents given to me by my trainer. Now here's a question: what do I do about getting a *brown* dressage saddle for her, when the time comes? I don't have a huge budget, we are an odd combination (close-coupled, small horse with a short, short-legged rider who needs a 17.5 or 18 inch saddle), and the inexpensive saddles seem to only be available in black. I am watching several used saddle sites like a hawk but fear it could be years before we find the right saddle!

Thumbs up Lovely colour combo

Very rich yet understated. Go for it!
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    My vote is black and white all the way! I personally really dislike brown tack.
    You better let Robert Dover know he shouldn't have ridden Kennedy at the Olympics in brown tack.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Feronia, as a Palomino, looks fabulous in brown/cream. I think a lot of the "colored" horses will look better in it.

I ride her in a nice all-purpose dark brown Barnsby saddle that I got used, and a old, lovely brown bridle with cream accents given to me by my trainer. Now here's a question: what do I do about getting a *brown* dressage saddle for her, when the time comes? I don't have a huge budget, we are an odd combination (close-coupled, small horse with a short, short-legged rider who needs a 17.5 or 18 inch saddle), and the inexpensive saddles seem to only be available in black. I am watching several used saddle sites like a hawk but fear it could be years before we find the right saddle!
    If you look around on the bigger used saddle sites, you'll find brown saddles. You'll probably end up getting a better quailty saddle a little used that way instead of a cheaper new saddle.
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

iownapaint, thanks! This reminded me to do my check.

I live about 30 minutes from Pelham Saddlery and they have several brown used saddles that might work... Must stay away from the $2600 one, though, no matter how pretty it is! /drools at http://tinyurl.com/5e8ztq

The most stunning combination I have seen was several years ago (it MUST have made an impression because after years of watching our top riders in Sydney, this is the ONLY colour combination I remember! Guess everyone else is in black and white).

Dark brown tack, creamy saddle pad and breeches, and all the metal bits were that gold colour. Maybe it's brass or whatever, but it wasn't silver. I mean everything was "gold" from the spurs to the buttons on the rider's jacket to the bit and buckles on the tack. Bay horse.

It was lovely.

Oh, yes....Brown all the way!!! Love, love, love brown tack! Your cream/brown combo sounds lovely

I think brown/cream is much softer and more elegant than black/white. Definitely go for it.

i'm also a brown tack girl!! but we use white with it. Fleck's an app and he's well.......liver chestnut/bay/roan leopard with a blanket??? or something like that. he's got a dark dark brown mane and tail (but not quite black) and is mostly white with some dark dark brown but a hint of bright coppery brown. i think my chocolate brown tack picks up and highlights his brown, but...maybe i'm just wierd!!

i never thought about a cream pad, but... with his white butt... not sure cream would work. i thought about a chocolate brown saddle pad, but..not sure if that would be too much brown?? is navy acceptable? Or not?? i mean i'm already riding a very loud app in brown tack...oh yeah.. and he has a mohawk instead of braids....

did i mention technically i'm an eventer?! though we can do a fairly decent first level test and are working our way slowly to second level!