The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Be nice to the show staff!!!

So a little reminder to you all, even though you're stressed, your test is coming up soon, your horse isn't quite right, you need another 10 mins, the tests are running late....whatever the reason, remember that the staff are VOLUNTEERS!! BE NICE.

I had the pleasure (ok, so it wasn't) of helping run Regionals last week. I worked 15-17 hour days running my a$$ off. I was amazed by just how many rude folks there were and complainers. My response to them all is 'if you think you can do better then VOLUNTEER!'

What I really wanted to say was, 'Hey I paid the same money as you, to show at the same show as you, and I'm running my behind off for 15 hours a day and am too tired to even want to show...SHUDDUP!'

So just when you want to whine and complain remember, the poeple there, helping to run things, making sure that everything is set up at 6.30 am before you get there and are all set at 10pm at night after you left are volunteers.

SMILE at them, by all means make a genuine complaint if you need to but be nice, they work hard.

we should have a national 'Hug a volunteer day'
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

((((((((Hugs to you))))))))))

and Amen.

Thank you!!

Rudeness is the reason why I stopped to volunteer in positions where I need to deal with many riders - like a bit checker... Now I stick to scribing. At least most judges are very nice to their scribes.

DA- after this week I can totally see why!

I have to say our judges were MORE then wonderful, I scribed for the first time this week and I explained to the judge it was my first time. Boy! she was slow for me and would do periodic checks to make sure we're on the same movement. I actually really enjoyed it (cept I didn't realize just how cold you get sitting out there Brrrrrrr)
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

I was a ring steward at a fancy dressage show a couple years ago. Alot of the people were very rude and acted like I was below them when I spoke to them. Im always super nice to the show staff, they should be paid!

I was whipper-in at a National show this past weekend, and every rider / trainer was fabulous. I had a great day, chatted with many interesting, nice people, riders were very professional and rings stayed mostly on time (we lost some ground after the FEI pony class - those little pony legs take a long time to do a test!),

The only *tiny* bit of rudeness occured when a rider was pretty close to late getting to the ring - then trotted off smartly towards the WRONG ring! (rings were side by side in a large fenced area). I sprinted after her and with some yelling and arm waving got her back on track - but by that time, she WAS late going down centreline. The judge called her over at the end of the test and told her she could have been enliminated - she explained this to her coach while she was having her tack check done.

Guess who the coach tried to blame - ME! (where was the in-gate girl? Why didn't she tell you when to enter the ring? etc.) I overheard and snapped at him that I had warned her she was on deck, and it was not my fault that she did not know which ring was which (she should have asked if she was unclear - 100 other riders figured it out). He made a sour face and shut up, but I am sure they continued to blame me once they were out of earshot!

Cool

Bad manners are bad manners no matter where they appear.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

JackSprats Mom, welcome to scribing! You'll learn so much!

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Ah, yes the Dr. Jeykell and Mr. Hyde riders! Having scribed and gate kept at numerous dressage shows in our area over the years....one thing that always amazed me; the personalities in the collecting ring changed the moment the rider stepped into the show ring! All of a sudden NOTHING was right and it all seemed to come to a head as rider was going around the perimeter. Trainer is standing next to me with permanent scowl, rider is frantically trying to put horse back together, bell sounds, and the drama ensues! By that time I am focused on the next rider...warning him/her that the rider before them has just started their test and the merry go round starts up again! However, I must say 90% of the riders in our area are really quite pleasant...more so after their test as opposed to before! However, I have been the brunt of parent and trainer nastiness. My favorite "retort," is "Thank you for sharing;" then I physically walk away! Breed shows are worse! Foal and stallion handlers can be oh so unique! No matter how well mannered your stallion is, he is to stay where everyone is safe until he is called to the ring. So many simply do not want to adhere to keeping everyone safe.

The best part of a show is scribing even if the judge is high maintenance. Riders though, really need to think about coming to the judge's box so I can see your number! It may be the last thing on your mind as your youngster is being less than stellar and your biggest concern probably is getting to X and finishing at X!

Most of us at shows are volunteers but perhaps if we were paid, it might not be such a bad thing? Some of us are riders too...I firmly believe all competitors should help run a show whenever possible. It always helps to sit on both sides of the fence!

I'm very interested how the high gas prices will affect volunteers. I use to drive up to 100 miles to volunteer for the shows (big annual shows), but now I limited my volunteer scope to 50 miles radius. The gas is just too expensive.

Nothing but respect coming from my end... to be doing this on your day off is unreal. Many thanks for donating your time and energy, as well as the gas in your car, time with your own horses and general well-being

Thanks ahead to the volunteers at Morven this weekend! Here is to hoping no one passes out from the heat.

Always try to offer a quick thanks to the volunteers. Most seem to be shocked when you say thanks- but once they (we I guess as I am in the same boat) process it, well it does mean alot.

That said, I have had some big name folks be very nice to me and some super famous folks be horrendous bad sport snots. One BNT (who will remain nameless as he/she frequents the board from time to time) was really nasty to me (ring steward) at a show as I would NOT allow the rider to enter the ring for perimeter warm-up until the judge was back in her box (this was after a break). S/he even loudly (think broadcast) said "if my rider gets less warm up time in the ring than others it is all your fault!!!" Now, up to this point I had really looked up to this person. When I mentioned the trainer's behavior to other show staff, they let me know this was not an isolated incident and the person was a bad behaver frequently. It certainly turned me off from ever spending any $$$ on this person's training endeavors in the future (i.e.clinic, lesson, training board).

Moral of the story- try to be remembered by the volunteers as the good competitor/ trainer/owner/spectator. You never know if that volunteer is a future owner/ competitor/judge/etc. Plus it is just a good thing to do.

That said, thanks to all who volunteer. And if you have not done so in awhile, maybe think about trying it out again- it can be fun!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I have both volunteered and relied on volunteers for my own show. I try always to remember what a simple "thank you" can mean to someone who is sleep-deprived, eaten by bugs and either overheated, freezing or soaking wet.
    I remember the thank you's as fondly as I remember the bad treatment bitterly.