The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default straw bale smelling like marijuana??

Okay so this is REALLLY strange. I dropped a bale of my straw down to bed the stalls yesterday to find a "strange" yet familiar smell. (familiar in the sense i can know it when I smell it, not something I do though). I thought maybe it was just me, but then i broke it apart and the got stronger! I bedded down anyway just thinking i was crazy. Then my friend got there and as soon as she walked in she said "OMG HIL! where you smoking pot!" I quickly shot that down as its NOT something i do, but it meant it wasnt just me. I called my mom ans she came out (if i hadnt i probably would have been accused of smoking!) and she came out and said the same thing.

The bale itself is a bit strange. It isnt normal straw, it breaks apart VERY easily like crumbles when you pick it up, forget about flakes, they dont stay together. And there is green/brown stuff all through it.

My horses were eating it ferociously. They always nibble on their bed sometimes but they wanted nothing to do with their hay and wanted the bed.

What could it be? I hate to think i just got horses stoned off their bedding but could that happen? Could it be real marijuana in it? What do I do?

**ohh i obviously wont be using the bale anymore too. I am still trying to figure this out so until then its siting in a trash bag in my tackroom.**

What should I do?

Smoke it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

It could easily be marijuana though I can only theorize as to how it got mixed up with your hay. I'd send a sample of it off to the state Ag lab and see what they have to say.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Call local Police Department. It probably won't surprise them.

Check your other bales too.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jun. 3, 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: DELETED: "remove it all" since you've done that :)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Do the horses seem unusually mellow? Have they broken into the grain room and hammered down all the feed? Are they laughing uncontrollably at mundane things? THEN you have a problem!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

throw one big party, make some brownies, duuuuuude pot is probably cheaper than hay these daze. Ok Ok turn like a leeeetle of it in to the cops, say the rest is in the manure pile. Immediately order some more bales. Play the ponies some Bob Dillon, Bob Marley and little free bird.

No self respecting home grower will bale up and sell their stash for straw prices. My guess is it is an anomaly and nothing more.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

They used to grow hemp around WW2. It is still growing wild in the ditches of the midwest. The locals always mention it to the college kids and watch them scramble looking for it. Until you try it and it burns your throat. But, yes, the horses like to eat it. One barnowner used to bale anything for hay. We opened up a few bales that made us wonder what we were onto.

What area of the country are you in?
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    Do the horses seem unusually mellow? Have they broken into the grain room and hammered down all the feed? Are they laughing uncontrollably at mundane things? THEN you have a problem!
    ROTFLMAO! I can see a bunch of ponies with the munchies now...
    Seriously though, it sounds like maybe someone had it planted & hidden in the field. It got cut and cured, and there you go, pot bedding for ponies!

"Dude! The pony ate my kilo!"
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

My horses were eating it ferociously.
    Are they asking for carrots and listening to Led Zeppelin or Yes?

It does sound weird. Maybe there was a wild marijuana plant in the hay field or something.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

haha i was waiting for my horses to start acting high and get the munchies ;] but that wouldnt be any different for them anywhay.

Im in SouthEast PA, outside of Philly.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    ROTFLMAO! I can see a bunch of ponies with the munchies now...
    Seriously though, it sounds like maybe someone had it planted & hidden in the field. It got cut and cured, and there you go, pot bedding for ponies!

"Dude! The pony ate my kilo!"
    We (my family) actually had that problem when we used our land for crops. Some neighbor was planting the bud amongst our crops and no matter how many times we removed it, they kept coming back and planting more.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

But can you get an agricultural exemption if you grow weed on your property?

(No, no, no, I don't smoke it no more.)
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    We (my family) actually had that problem when we used our land for crops. Some neighbor was planting the bud amongst our crops and no matter how many times we removed it, they kept coming back and planting more.
    trust me on this ...it is VERY easy to hit a patch and never know it...esp in cab tractors....

if you know the grower call and tell him...if it was just a feed store call and tell them...and call the law and tell them....in the end most places are too over worked to do anything but "dispose" of it for you...but it will keep you above things...
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Can I come visit you??????? I'll bring brownie mix!

Hemp has kinda grown wild in some parts of the US. It used to be a cash crop.

Hmmmm.... I'm wondering if this is an herbal alternative to giving Ace to your horse???

Back in the dark ages I went to basic training in Alabama. Out on the compass course, we ran into a very well tended and much loved patch of weed. Middle of the woods filled with kudzu, and we walk into this lovely clearing. I look at my buddies, they look at me, we look at the weed, we look at each other again, note it on the map, shoot a reverse azimuth, and report it to our Drill Sergeant.

We didn't even get extra credit.

It could be real marijuana - it's called weed for a reason. That stuff spreads like crazy, whether on purpose or not.

I suggest selling it as the wonder food for hard keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by scottishgirl View Post
    ..probably because your Drill Sergeant spent the next month holed up in that clearing watching all the purty butterflies go by....
    Yeah - you might be right! Maybe it belonged to his buddies! Trust me - there was NOTHING to do on that base!

I was weeding my flower garden last week and found a couple marijuana looking plants growing. I think a bird might have pooped out some seeds, but am going to get out my plant books and make sure before i pull them. There is something that looks similar called False Aurelia (sp ?) Not sure if the F Aurelia smells like weed or not.

Honest Officer, it wasnt me. Arrest them bluejays........

Around here people plant it between rows of corn. It was a clever way to grow it out of sight, until the police started doing fly-overs.

If you're in doubt of what it is, don't let the horses have it. It could be some rare weird weed that makes horses sick.

Oh man.

Ok, I don't smoke pot. Never have, never will. But I LOVE how it smells. Just...thought I'd share.

Anyway....I'd probably call the police. I'd assume they'd be the best to handle the situation.

Or you could have a party and just say you disposed of it in your manure pile
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.