The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New to North Carolina

Hello all. We just relocated my husband, myself and HorseGirlTV to North Carolina's Camp Lejeune. I'm wondering if you all have any recommendations for fabulous dressage trainers in the area as I haven't had luck thus far.

TIA!!
    angelea | AnGeLeA media | angelea.com

Founder, HorseGirlTV®. Writer. Editor. Dressage USDF Gold Medalist. Where bits & bytes converge.

Welcome to NC. While I used to go to school in Buies Creek (not too, too far from your area), I can't remember who all is down there-people move so much. Jim Koford is in the Fuquay Varina area. I am sure there are others in a reasonable distance. Put a post on the NCDCTA message board and I am sure you will find someone.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Not sure how far you are from Aberdeen-Lynn Doki of Walhalla Farm-has website-very good trainer!

PM 53. She has contact info for Michelle Folden, who clinics about once a month in the Camp Lejeune area. I have never seen her ride or teach, but I respect 53's opinion and 53 says she's fabulous. My old Novice eventer's new "mommy" rides with her, and they clean up at the rated shows in the area.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

If you contact the Eastern Dressage and Combined Training Schooling Association (EDCTSA.org), they have a USDF silver medalist named Anne Reid who does clinics at Equine Country in Jacksonville once a month.

There is a great dressage trainer in Holly Springs. PM me if you want her info. She doesnt have any school horses, so she only teaches riders who have their own.

Wow. Thanks. Those were all super help and I appreciate the contacts. I've taught myself off and on and competed through Grand Prix earning both my USDF Silver and Gold medals and after learning a bit about lack of trainers in my immediate area, the thought has been put into my mind of actually teaching a few lessons here and there. I've taught on the web coast through 2nd level. I just wish there were more Grand Prix riders here in NC. Darnit!

Thanks again so very much for the connections!!!

Founder, HorseGirlTV®. Writer. Editor. Dressage USDF Gold Medalist. Where bits & bytes converge.

You REALLY should! I live in Havelock NC and I can tell you there are not many USDF gold medalists lurking about! Get in touch with the ESDCTA, they are very nice and they can probably get you started with doing a clinic or something.

Lynn Leath. She operates North Star Training Center in Chapel Hill NC. May be too far for you to drive. She regularly hosts clinics with Jessica Ransehousen and Cathy Morelli.

Thanks again. I'm bummed the riding is better out west in NC but at least there's a couple of qualified upper levels riders down here in NC and it's encouraging to hear about the clinicians.

I've really enjoyed the clinics I've done and with most of the bigger names too but I've found that I walked away from most with some fabulous notes that I'd like to try and figure out how to incorporate into my daily routine and then jumping back in with my full-time trainer it just never works out. Clinics are awesome and so eye opening a good portion of the time on so many levels.

Thanks again for all the information!

Welcome. Alot of the recommended trainers are a good haul from Camp LeJeune. Definitely check out the EDCTSA.org website. You are actually in a cool area for schooling shows. This weekend there is one at Equine Country. Not sure if Chris Hamilton is still clinicing in that area, but Michelle Folden, Brooke Doss, and Anne Reid. I can send you the contact info for Brooke Doss is desired. Chris Hamilton will be doing a clinic in June in Ayden (about 2 hr. drive) at Tricia Hooten's new farm. Susie Weidman isn't far. Her website is Encore Sporthorses. Many USDF shows are held in Williamston, also a 2 hour drive. Next one is scheduled for July 26th & 27th. NCDCTA.org and Carolinadressage.com are also websites you might want to check out.

Michelle Folden is great!

Smile Welcome

We relocated from CA to NC three years ago. We are working hard to bring the level of dressage up out here. We have dressage schooling shows six time a year and we import and sell top dressage horses. You can see us at antaresdressage.com We also just videoed the CDI GP freestyle class in Raleigh last weekend. You can see those video's for free at dressage.tv
    We are happy to help you with anything we can.

thanks! i'll definitely check the EDCTSA website!

the AntaresDressage site is really nice too! i'm pretty sure i remember you guys from my CA showing days. i've probably seen you at dg bar, del mar or maybe flintridge? i've only shown through I1 in California as my GP gelding and i never made it down south of oregon then we moved out to VA last summer.

thanks again for the help from all you guys. AntaresDressage... what city are you guys located in?

have a great weekend!