The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you support your horse riding hobby?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • I work and earn $35,000 or less

20 15.50%
  • I work and earn 36,000-50,000

16 12.40%
  • I work and earn 51,000-75,000

18 13.95%
  • I work and earn 76,000-100,000

17 13.18%
  • I work and earn 100,000+

25 19.38%
  • I am supported by a parent, husband or significant other

24 18.60%
  • I am a lottery winner

0 0%
  • I ahve a trsut fund/inheritance or investment and do not need to work

4 3.10%
  • I work in the horse industry. Income? what income?

13 10.08%
  • I do not actually ride, and/or am on social assistance

1 0.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff- how do you support your dressage hobby?

How do you find the money to keep riding?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

like that guy on the riding mower in the TV commercial...I am in debt up to my eyeballs!

seriously though, this may become the case when the prices for this summer's hay are announced

I'm at College so my Mum helps out a lot. She covers my grazing, feed and registration in general. My SO (who I have been with for 5 years) also helps out when I have overspent on the ponies that week

We sell 1-2 horses a year (In theory anyway) in order to keep an income coming in to buy others/continue to work with the ones we have.

I also ride horses for other people, compete for other people, break in etc etc. That pays my entry fees, petrol costs, lessons and any extra money that I have left over goes into the horse account to help Mum pay for feed etc.

Needless to say we barely break even, but what horsey person does

I used to work...then I had three kids. So my wonderful husband supports my horsey habit while I raise the family. I get a babysitter a few times a week so I can get to the barn and then hubby does solodad duty for the kids for a few hours on the weekends. It's a sacrifice but horsey keeps me sane.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I have four jobs, one FT w/ bennies, three part time; plus I teach, and breed for sale. I checked the first box.

Three of the four jobs, most importantly the FT one, are evenings--16-02 shifts, which leaves the days free to do the farm thing. The FT in theory is also 4 x10s, which means I can work one or two of my days off at a PT job and still have one day off. In theory.

For the first 8 years here I sold one or two foals every year. Last year and this, no sale foals. It's HURT substantially. I've now sold every extra saddle--including the sentimental one, and am starting on extraneous tack. It's hard to even admit there IS such a thing. ALL tack is useful again in the right situation.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Um, where is the part about having a full-time job as a stay at home mom?

I work and ride other peoples horses and my mom helps but all show fees and transport fees are up to me
    Dressage it's a way of life!

It's not as much about long and low as about down and around Courtesy of Gay McCall

Didn't vote because I fall under two options:

I work and am supported by DH. I can only work part-time because I'm also raising a wee human but I work as much as I can without having to add daycare to our expenses. DH covers the rest. I wish "the rest" was a lot more than it is, but I'm sure everyone wishes that.

And for what it's worth--I haven't shown in 9 years, haven't taken a lesson in 2 years, and haven't had time to actually ride in about 2 months. We're selling (giving away?) one of our two horses so that we're no longer in the red every month.

So I don't think I can consider it supporting my dressage hobby. More like just barely hanging on to my one horse.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

It would have been a more interesting poll to show those who support themselves (work and earn XYZ) vs dual income families. I work alot, ride and go to the gym to fill my spare time. Drive an 11+ y.o. small car and show when I can. This year I forewent taking a vacation in order to ride in a few recognized shows. Usually we just do a few schooling shows, so it is alot cheaper. I also go without alot of things (cable, internet, phone, etc) to be better positioned to support my hobby.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I use to work full time for about 15 years and make $100K+. Back then I partially supported my family as well as my horse habit. When my hubby got a new, better-than-mine job that required him to be there most of the time, we decided that I should stay home with our son and work part-time to support my horse habit. Now, all of my horse related expenses are paid by me, but my hubby supports everything else. Basically all of my money that I make on my "DA Horse Gifts" equestrian business goes out to pay for my horse habit. In 2 years of doing that, I failed to save any $... my mare spends every penny of it!!!

I think this happens alot, I know some people who have this arrangement.

It is really nice to see that people have good arrangements with their families and can follow their dreams.

I also work part time and just cover my horses primary expenses (board, farrier, etc and 1 lesson a month) everything else comes out of the family budget, so certain times of year it's slim and other times it's great-I just push it around for shows, clinics, etc.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I work full time and have a part time job that goes straight to horse expenses (and neither one pays great). Just started doing chores out at my barnn one day a week to work off part of my horse's barn. Just trying to find ways to make the horse thing work in this economy...

I wish the "don't actually ride" option was not grafted onto the "on social assistance" option! How humbling. I chose that option. I ride someone else's horse when I can - a handful of rides each year - but can't afford a horse of my own or lessons. I work part time, my husband works full time and we have children, a mortgage, and so forth. We are not on social assistance.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Smile Work,work ,work and ride :) (kinda long)

I just started the show horse thing after 14 years riding racehorses and then when my kid was almost out of school. I went back to school got a "real' job according to my mom. So after getting my new life I rode endurance for two years and now venturing into the show world and I can tell you I could not do this without my husbands(married 2 years) support. So We work alot of extra details on our days off (him more then me..I got to have sometime to ride !)because we fall under 100k a year together.And it is a challenge thats for sure!!

Default money! I need more!

I work a FT job that I though would pay for a lot of stuff, but it is amazing how fast horsies can drain your bank acct. I am considering taking on a PT job so I can get some stuff my horsies need/pay credit card bills

I wonder how many that voted that they make $100,000+ are ALSO supported by a parent, spouce, or signifigant other?

I work and do it all by myself, but as someone else stated, I can't really say I support a dressage hobby. It's more of a wannabe dressage hobby. If I could really support it with lessons and clinics and the like right now, it would be in the dressage discipline. But, financially and physically, it's a bit of challenge these days. Therefore, I'm working to support the pleasure horses.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    I work and do it all by myself, but as someone else stated, I can't really say I support a dressage hobby. It's more of a wannabe dressage hobby. If I could really support it with lessons and clinics and the like right now, it would be in the dressage discipline. But, financially and physically, it's a bit of challenge these days. Therefore, I'm working to support the pleasure horses.
    I concur with this for the most part. Unfortunately, I had to stop my dressage lessons last December when my horse was injured in order to cover vet bills. My instructor was starting to drive me batty on top of that, so it hasn't been TOO much of a hardship. However, during this most inopportune time, I ended up acquiring my second horse! I could afford the two horses without my second job, but it would be pretty tight. My f/t job pays well and has good bennies, and my p/t job is another office job which also pays pretty well and doesn't require me working on weekends.

No, I don't have a lot of extra time for other things besides my horses, really. Plus, with it being show season, things are pretty busy. I work Mon/Tues/Wed nites at the second job and then go to the barn on Thurs/Fri nites plus weekends. Since I'm not taking dressage lessons at the moment, I'm concentrating on refreshing both of my horses with the basics and doing some hunter flat classes. This way, I'm not spending the money on lessons, yet am still making both of them solid citizens, and get to enjoy showing on a smaller scale.

I'm hoping to resume lessons in a month or two with a different trainer, but I think we're going to focus on some hunt seat stuff for a while. She can easily coach me on the things required for a solid training level test with my flatwork, but can also teach me how to jump. I desperately want to do both!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    How do you find the money to keep riding?
    Work full time and have a brothel on the side.