The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What is your average yearly income

Voters
308. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 20k

28 9.09%
  • 20-40k

44 14.29%
  • 40-60k

45 14.61%
  • 60-80k

35 11.36%
  • 80-100k

28 9.09%
  • over 100k

128 41.56%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default income poll

So this was posted on the dressage forum and found the results interesting. I'm curious about the average yearly income of us eventers. I find that I feel much less poor when in the company of eventers than when I'm in the company of dressage folk. No judging or anything I'm just curious.

Is this for just me, or me and my husband combined?

I included our household income....

I figured household income.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I included family income. We have 2 full time professionals so we're over $100K.

HOWEVER, the problem with a simple "what is your income" poll is that it doesn't figure expenses. We have 2 mortgages (1 of which thankfully is being paid by a rental -- WHEN they pay *grumble*), 2 car payments, several outstanding debts we're paying on, $1200-1400 per month grocery bills, homeschooling expenses, gas for 1 job for an hour each way drive... plus of course TRYING to save some $$ both for emergencies as well as to eventually have our own small farm.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I've had my horse for 11 years, and my income certainly has increased during that time. Sadly, so have my ideas of what is necessary to keep him happy. My board bill, progressively:

FREE: For the first 3 years of our time together, home was a field with a run-in shed outside the room I rented. I had to chop ice off the pond to make sure he had water during the winter, and riding happened in a flat spot, but use of the field was part of my very, very cheap rent. Started eventing and moved from learning-to-jump to training level.

$250: I went to be a full-time working student for 7 months and paid $250 monthly for him to live outside at a very nice barn with fabulous facilities including indoor/outdoor arenas, jump school, XC jumps, hacking, etc. Move from training to one-star level.

$300: Once my WS stint was over, I moved to Pennsylvania and kept him on self-care board at the private barn of a very experienced dressage rider. He had a stall and a nice field, and I had access to great hacking and an all-weather dressage arena, but no jumps and I had to be there every day for feeding, mucking, turnout, etc. Continued at prelim/one-star. The lack of jumping opportunities hurt some.

$350: Moved back out West to a barn with an indoor (yay!) and jumps, but a less-than-stellar outdoor-pen turnout situation. Moved b/c the care was horrible -- right back to that original free field, but soon found I need more access to arenas, jumps, etc. to try to compete at intermediate.

$425: Moved to the East Coast and, after a month at a $200 facility that didn't offer the quality of care or have the facilities I needed (ie, the "ring with jumps" was scary-deep sand that the horses struggled through and the jumps were four plastic poles and two pairs of standards), moved to a wonderful private barn with a ring, decent hacking, jumps, etc. Continued at the intermediate/** level. In the winter, it was tough to ride b/c her sand arena was frozen in the a.m. when I could ride, so we'd end up doing lots of walk hacks during the week, or trailering out for lessons.

$650: Took the plunge and "moved in" with the trainer. As much as I loved my previous barn, I think the deciding factor was the access to an indoor in the winter and the hacking/galloping and conditioning land available at her farm. I had been arriving at horse trials feeling underprepared and underfit just b/c my old barn didn't really have the land available to string together gallop/trot sets to get OI/** fit. My first year, I moved my horse over there just for the winter months. The next year, the winter ended and I stayed.

$750++: Still with the trainer, but the cost of everything has gone up, so board has, too. I really can't afford it at this point (even though, yes, my own salary thankfully has increased over time, too), but we're in our last year or so of competitive riding and trying to do **/advanced. I want her regular help, I want access to good arenas, an indoor in the winter good hacking and good jumps. She's been great to work with me and help keep things relatively affordable. Still, I look around at her fabulous facility and I really can't believe I'm there. I'm also quite positive that if I could travel back in time and tell myself 10 years ago that I'd be spending this much on board, my 10-years-younger self would faint straight away!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

The more money I make, the more I feel broke.

I have my own farm, so keeping my trio of horses is relatively inexpensive. I do all my own chores, mowing, dragging the arena, etc, and I'd never go back to the head ache of boarding.

As incompatable as this sounds when you have horses, my goal is to become debt free. I'm down to farm mortgage and student loans.

yeah...I make a lot of money....and SPEND a lot too.

If I kicked my horse addiction....I'd be debt free, not sleep deprived but probably no where near as happy!

I will be soooooo much happier when I finally get the barn built and stop paying double for all my horses (board and mortgage on my currently vacant land) but I will probably be further in debt, even more sleep deprived but happier!

Nevertime....you've got a stall at my place if you want it....if it ever gets built!!!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Woah lotsa people make a lotta cash!

Well, I'm single, but my expenses are not the normal ones of my age group. For instance, I don't have a mortgage( or , I'm not sure which), but I also don't pay rent (I know, what a freeloader, but I've offered to pay many times). I do, however, have 1 full time job, 1 part-time, very lucrative, teaching job, and now 3 regular part-time farm care(horses only to horses and poultry and the occasional dogs, cats and fish) jobs, and I look after my boarding barn on weekends for a reduced board rate. This is almost allowing me to fully pay for my mare, her 2 week-old AFR filly (she the most sweetest thing going, just like her very proud mummy) and my 3-yr old ISH.
    My car I paid cash for from my teaching earnings, and I should have my new-to-me 10-year-old 3-H trailer paid for by the end of the summer, also with the teaching earnings.
    The extra (if there is any) will go towards RRSPs and lowering my taxable income before next year (otherwise OUCH!)
    I feel pretty much like bornfree and Fence2Fence... I just LOVE spending money on my horses, mostly on saddle pads!
    ps: HI, tle, it's been a while!

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;3259303]yeah...I make a lot of money....and SPEND a lot too.

If I kicked my horse addiction....I'd be debt free, not sleep deprived but probably no where near as happy!
    QUOTE]

I hear you!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by c_expresso View Post
    Woah lotsa people make a lotta cash!

And this is why I tell all the "kids"....make no illusions. Get an education, a good job, because when the bank of Mom and Dad runs dry it is an expensive habit. Being poor and working with horses is over rated and gets old as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    And this is why I tell all the "kids"....make no illusions. Get an education, a good job, because when the bank of Mom and Dad runs dry it is an expensive habit. Being poor and working with horses is over rated and gets old as you get older.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! Totally my experience!!!

Our household income is up there, you know, where I dreamt of having it be years ago. I remember when my current income was the total household income years ago. Now with 2 kids living at home, one getting ready to go to college, the mortgage, truck payment, 2 horses boarded, and regular monthly expenses, the well is constantly dry. And the cost of gas is killing us. Oh well, we're having fun in the process.

Listen, I was VERY fortunate to have some well healed parents who were very supportive financially when I was living at home, going to prep school and college. But they always made it clear that this was not a never ending situation and that if I wanted to have horses in my life that I had better be prepared to work hard and get a great education so that I could afford these luxuries. I am so glad I listened. I could not imagine my life with out horses. But I know many upper level riders who do this for a living. They are always on the hustle...always stressed about selling horses. keeping clients, paying bills, and acheiving some lofty goals. I also know many FORMER upper level riders who are now not "envogue" and have to work that much harder to fill clinic space, get sponsors etc. It is sad really. And most live hand to mouth and have no pension fund set up. In this game you are one fall away from financial ruin. Go for your dreams, ride, train, compete...but it must be fitted in around education and career. The chances of success are like being an actor...most are out of work and struggling to get by. Enjoy eventing and if you harbour team slection, be practicle and smart and prepare yourself for the future.

I've had horses throughout my career. I managed to have one on less than $20K/year when I first got out of college and they were always just part of what I budgeted. It is easier these days in some ways, but I used to be occasionally nostalgic for when I was living on Ramen noodles and had a LOT more time to hang with my ponies. Bringing them home to my own farm last year was the culmination of a 20-year plan... and well worth the time it took away from the barn to build a career.

Amen to Snoop's advice!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Cool Depends on where you live

Cost of living makes a big difference too.. here in the CA bay area, wages are higher, but cost of living is also through the roof.

The "average" income is well over 100K... yet, I know people who make over 100K and can't qualify for a mortgage around here.

The "average" older tract house is around 600K (give or take roller coaster market). I pay $4.25 for low grade gas, and $20.95 a bale for grass hay.

So... despite making what would be a decent amount of money other places in the country, on my salary I can barely afford rent (averages $1500 for a 1 bed apartment), and self care board for one horse.

Any one have any tips for picking up and moving across the country? It sounds daunting, but hubby is ready, and so am I!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Any one have any tips for picking up and moving across the country? Its sounds daunting, but hubby is ready, and so am I!

All you have to know is that the sun RISES in the east!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Any one have any tips for picking up and moving across the country? Its sounds daunting, but hubby is ready, and so am I!

Have the job first before you move Oh and winter sucks....while PA isn't super bad...it still sucks. Depends on what you do for a living...but there is a reason why many of the southern cities are doing so well!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Have the job first before you move Oh and winter sucks....while PA isn't super bad...it still sucks. Depends on what you do for a living...but there is a reason why many of the southern cities are doing so well!
    I second the having a job first. Winters in MD/PA/DE line are getting really mild - one snow last winter and temps averaging 40 degrees. I am thinking I have to start migrating north....I like my winters to be winter....