The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dixie Chicken seeks permanent home in SE PA

My daughter brought home the one surviving chick, Dixie, from a classroom project for Memorial Day weekend and she is still with us. She is very personable and loves people. I'm not sure that she knows she is a chicken.

I would keep her but one of our dogs would like to make a meal of her - the other one probably would too but is smart enough to be sneaky. She is outgrowing her current home and for some strange reason my usually very tolerant husband is refusing to build a chicken coop. And really I know a suburban neighborhood is no place for this rapidly growing little hen (she will be a layer).
    So please, any COTHer's out there looking for a chick? I would be happy to deliver her and all her remaining supplies.

Hubby's afraid if he builds her a coop, that you'll find her a friend...or several friends. LOL

My sister has hens, which are pets, they just lay eggs, don't end up in stew pots, but we are in VA. However, if you still have her on June 22, I will be in the area (Fair Hill) and could bring her back to my sister.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Thanks, Dawglover, girls and I leave for vacation on the 21st and I think hubby is afraid he will be left with Dixie so I need to find her a home before then.

I will drive to NJ, DE and MD. She is very cute!

Default Dixie Chick

What kind of chicken is she? How are you sure she is a she? How old is she?

I think she is a RI Red but I will check with the teacher tomorrow. She hatched towards the later part of May. As to why I think Dixie is a she - that is what I was told but, it has been a long time since I was around little chicks so if you can tell me how to sex one for sure I'll be happy to do so.

She's really funny and follows us around when we have her out in the fenced in vegetable garden. She is just starting to learn to "scratch" the dirt and look for food. It's very cute when she stands straight up and flaps her new wings.

I have chickens in central NJ (near the Horse Park) and would be willing to take Dixie Chick. If you know of anyone going to the HP, I could pick her up there.

Default Dixie Chick

If she hasn't already found a home, I might be able to take her. We have two buff orpington hens (Chichen Nugget and Chich Fillet) that are strictly pets. I can talk to hubby about Dixie Chick if she still needs a home. E-mail me privately at sakatak@aol.com. We are in Smyrna, Delaware.
    Cheers -
    Patti

www.tristateeuine.org

I'm north of Newark, DE, ten minutes south of Fair Hill.

I have a small backyard flock, and I can take her, if you like. PM if you want to make arrangements!

I do not want Dixie Chick... but I may be able to provide her transport this weekend to South NJish area if that helps her find a home.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

If you run out of options post over at http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/

Great bunch over there and I bet you could find someone that lives close that would take the chicken. I am a member and have chicks ordered and on the way, in the middle of building the coop.

Sexing chicks is difficult you will have to wait until it is older and it depends on the breed. Thats about the extent of my knowledge on that subject!
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

I've got a new flock of chicks who are all about Dixie Chick's age, and will be driving through PA this week to pick up a load of horses in FL.

If she hasn't found a home, I can take her
    -Jessica

Does Dixie Chick have a home yet? If not, I could pick her up if anyone going to a show could take her to the Horse Park of NJ.