The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default diagonals

for tests that allow the trot to be performed posting, can a rider be penalized for posting on the wrong diagonal? a friend and I were discussing... any rules in the rulebook?

nope! Many judges would prefer you change your diagonal at either the beginning or end of the diagonal so as not to disrupt the flow of the trot at X.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

No rule as such, but still don't be caught posting on the wrong one. I have changed at X and not found it upset the trot. It would probably be better to wait until the end of the diagonal. Just don't ever be caught on the wrong one.

So long as your horse is balanced, you should not be penalized for posting on the wrong diagonal.

I've never done it in a test (because, really, it's usually harder to have a horse balanced on a circle if you aren't on the correct diagonal, and I don't need to make things harder for myself! ), but I've done it in rail classes (not equitation, of course) on a horse who went smoother on one diagonal than the other - and won. While I can't speak for every judge, of course, it's not nearly the taboo people would believe - again, so long as it doesn't negatively effect the horse's performance.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Ive had a judge write in the comments on my test "wrong diagonal". While Im not sure if she marked off for it on that movement, she did mention it. So, I always try and stay on the correct one.

Ive also had a judge comment "change diagonal at M, not X"

There is no 'wrong' diagonal (since different countries/schools have different ideas about it), so you can post on any diagonal you want. Best idea is to change (if you want) at the end of the diagonal (imho).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Go "wrong" only if you dare. Many will comment on it; they have the eyes of eagles.

My daughter has been competing in dressage for 12 years. She is always on the wrong diagonal--she just posts with the one that feels the best. She has her USDF Silver Medal. No one has ever mentioned it, and our trainer, an FEI judge, says no one ever should.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

There is no "right" or "wrong" diagonal in dressage. If you consistently post on one diagonal without switching, the judge may comment on that because you are contributing to potential unevenness. But a judge should never say you are on the wrong diagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    nope! Many judges would prefer you change your diagonal at either the beginning or end of the diagonal so as not to disrupt the flow of the trot at X.
    I prefer changing at X. I find it easier to half-halt and change if I sit for a beat, as well.

The only thing that I've learned is that its not wrong, but it can throw your horse off balance if it is a green horse learning to balance and bend. Also on my circles I just feel weird on the wrong diagnol Not so much on the rail but when I have to bend to centerline or circle I feel like it throws myself and my horse off.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

if the horse is even on both hind legs and is supple he feels equally well on either diagonal on a circle, it is an exercise some trainers have one do alot to change diagonals over and over on a circle.

I wonder if PiaffePlease has ridden for the same judge I have scribed for? While i agree it's not in the rules, I know there is at least one judge around here who gets perturbed about the issue...

They comment on it, they cannot take off points no matter how they feel about it.

they often comment too if the choice of diagonal or where the rider changes diagonals seems to be disturbing the horse

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit351w View Post
    for tests that allow the trot to be performed posting, can a rider be penalized for posting on the wrong diagonal? a friend and I were discussing... any rules in the rulebook?
    yes -- becuase you have not noticed or felt the horse being on the worng diagonal

which makes for an untidy test- and not in control of horse

by that the horse doersnt flow from one movement to another and is off balanced
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Jun. 7, 2008 at 01:35 PM.

you might have scored better if you had notice and corrected it, ie sit for 2 beats and change the diagnol for the correct one

Im not sure about in tests but my coach will get on me about diagonals.
    Dressage it's a way of life!

It's not as much about long and low as about down and around Courtesy of Gay McCall

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    They comment on it, they cannot take off points no matter how they feel about it.

they often comment too if the choice of diagonal or where the rider changes diagonals seems to be disturbing the horse
    your wrong slc2 very wrong---- its a bad habit , if one does not know there diagnols
    and it should be taught at basic training levels

Posting on different diagonals affect the diagonal pairs in a very calculated manner. No, the rider canNOT be dinged here because it is NOT in the (dressage) rules...yes for hunters.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Coming from a hunter background, I can't stand seeing someone on the wrong diagonal. (In the US, you should be on the outside diagonal, is it different in other countries?). I also spent the first half of my riding career being drilled to ALWAYS be on the correct diagonal. We would have lessons where we were not allowed to look down and had to ask for the trot and pick up the correct diagonal and know which diagonal we were on.

I have a problem with one of the first level tests where you are asked to extend the trot across the diagonal, specifically using a rising (posting) trot....I ALWAYS want to switch at X even though we are only posting in a straight line across the diagonal. It takes a lot of work for me not to and I don't because I figure it might mess up her extension and in that instance look sloppy.

As far as being penalized, some people are sticklers for details more than others. Being on the correct diagonal might be one of their peeves. If they are not officially allowed to penalize for it, they may end up taking 2 points off instead of one for a movement that is not as crisp AND the diagonal is wrong.