The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help me pick a stallion

I'm thinking of breeding my mare next season (maybe this season?) The goal would be to have a nice amateur horse for myself to do a little bit of hunters and/or jumpers with in a few years. I compete at the 3' level, maybe would be interested in doing 3'6" someday... but would be content never surpassing 3'.
    My mare has been great for me... we've been sucessful in hunters and jumpers...but the jumper ring is her forte...she is brave and bold, and has a heart the size of Texas. She is by the Holsteiner Carlost, out of a home bred TB Champion Deed. She is 16.1hh, and very long backed...other than that I don't know what else to say about her conformation...i'll post some pics later today. She has an exceptional work ethic, but is rather "hot". She has a foot injury (ddft) which will keep her out of work for quite a while and may prove to be chronic, which is why I'm thinking of breeding her. Right off the bat I think of Cunningham... just because I've always admired him. Any thoughts?
    Founding member of the GDI clique...

Default link to pic

here is a link to one picture... i will get some conformation shots today...

http://www.gallopprints.net/gallery2..._itemId=110029

Over 180 champion stallions at half price:

www.SHNpayback.com

There is a link to text only listings at the top of the stallion page for slower connections. The text listing is also alphabetical and broken down by stallion breeds.
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Default video link

here is a video clip of my mare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCtPpZH2MJ0

Well I know when I get a breeding quality mare she is going to RedWine, so I am going to suggest RedWine.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

B/c she already has Holsteiner blood, IMO it would be wise to breed her to Cunningham, who obviously has fantastic temperament and his famous sire is known for producing excellent rideability.

You could also consider Cassini II (frozen), or a Holsteiner with Contender in there...

...and finally there are very impressive Holsteiner sires apart from Cunningham such as Chaleon, Superman and Cabardino that have successful A circuit hunter careers.

Anna

Well if you want to shorten her up some - then I would say Corland, Cascani (another Cassini I son), Van Gogh B, Cabardino or even Chaleon. However all of those will double up the Corde blood.. so if you want to stay away from that you could also try:

Autobahn, Apiro (not sure he would shorten her tho) or Mezcalero

Good Luck with her - she looks like she jump's well.

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Well I know when I get a breeding quality mare she is going to RedWine, so I am going to suggest RedWine.
    I would steer around Redwine just bc of the fact that he is EVA positive. You can vaccinate, but after talking to my vet about EVA vaccination procedures and it sounds like a B****.
    "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by faluut42 View Post
    I would steer around Redwine just bc of the fact that he is EVA positive. You can vaccinate, but after talking to my vet about EVA vaccination procedures and it sounds like a B****.
    IMO its worth it.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Nope. Its actually quite easy. But, it is sad how many breeders and vets out there don't understand the logistics of it and just how easy it is to manage. There is a very complete article on our website about EAV. Go to: http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/EVA.shtml to read the complete article. And it was written with Dr. Timoney who is pretty much the world renowned expert on EVA.

It's certainly not a reason to steer away from a stallion. One just needs to understand what needs to be done!

Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Nope. Its actually quite easy. But, it is sad how many breeders and vets out there don't understand the logistics of it and just how easy it is to manage. There is a very complete article on our website about EAV. Go to: http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/EVA.shtml to read the complete article. And it was written with Dr. Timoney who is pretty much the world renowned expert on EVA.

It's certainly not a reason to steer away from a stallion. One just needs to understand what needs to be done!

Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin
    I guess i shouldnt have said its hard to do, more just annoying. the 21 day isolation can be hard if you are showing/transporting the horse, or if like me, does not have a place to isolate a horse for that long (only a large pasture).

What about Cielo B ( www.risingstarfarm.net) or Pablo? I like both boys a lot. Pablo has proven his production time and time again. Cielo is really making his own place in the arena - he is on my opinion one of the nicest up and coming young boys.
    I do like Cabardino quite a bit as well. We just got a really nice colt from Versace B and he already seems to have the " jump" - with him everything in sight must be jumped

Best of luck- Let us know who you pick!

Quote Originally Posted by concertogrosso View Post
    B/c she already has Holsteiner blood, IMO it would be wise to breed her to Cunningham, who obviously has fantastic temperament and his famous sire is known for producing excellent rideability.

You could also consider Cassini II (frozen), or a Holsteiner with Contender in there...

Anna
    Actually, getting some "Contender in there" was one of the biggest draws of Cunningham when I first bred to him 6 years ago: he's out of a 50+bonit Contender mare (Iorella) in addition to being a Cassini I son.

I guess i shouldnt have said its hard to do, more just annoying. the 21 day isolation can be hard if you are showing/transporting the horse, or if like me, does not have a place to isolate a horse for that long (only a large pasture).
    Only criteria necessary is to make sure that the vaccinated mare is not within "nose touching" distance to another horse. I can certainly see certain situations where it would be just about impossible, but for most people, it's more a matter of not understanding the disease and that lack of understanding can create near hysteria for some breeders. We've seen facilities where the staff garbs up in tyvek suits to handle an EVA positive stallion or animals that are being vaccinated for the disease :roll: It really isn't necessary.

But, if you like the stallion, it's certainly worth the effort...especially if he'll cross well with your mare!

Kathy St.Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    We've seen facilities where the staff garbs up in tyvek suits to handle an EVA positive stallion or animals that are being vaccinated for the disease :roll: It really isn't necessary. [/url]

why is that so easy to picture!

You didn't mention how tall she is, but a good stallion to add jump and shorten her back would be Contendro (Contender/Reichsgraf/Rasputin), if you don't mind using frozen.

She's a very pretty mare, but I would be careful to not add length to her back.

I haven't used Pablo myself, but from all reports, he would shorten her back without sacrificing jump or movement.

I would choose a stallion with a very good topline who is a bit short coupled.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

why is that so easy to picture!
    <smile>...Yeah, I can see someone dressed in a Tyvek suit heading towards a horse that needs to be handled and watching the eyes get bigger and bigger and bigger... Can't imagine trying to do any semen collection dressed like that!

Kathy St.Martin

Can't imagine trying to do any semen collection dressed like that!

Methinks a collection wouldn't happen, the wedding package would run and hide!!!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

You might want to consider Ironman.

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com