The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems with FedEx Malicious Destruction ?

I wonder if anyone else has had a problem with this. My vet received our shipment of cooled semen today from an out of state stallion and when preparing for my mare's AI this evening, found that the container had been opened and the semen maliciously poured around inside the container.

Has anyone else had this happen ?

Such a bummer. My first time breeding my mare and we've not had an easy time. All the stars were aligned today after much hard work and $$$ -- and now some creepy creature at FedEx destroyed the shipment.

We are in the Bay Area of California. If anyone else has had a like experience lately, I would greatly appreciate hearing what happened.

My very best wishes to all for happy and healthy mares and foals.

Last year I shipped semen cross country to one of my best friends for her mare.... timing was PERFECT, semen arrived and she put it in her tack room. The vet comes, they get the mare sedated and all ready to inseminate, open the Equitainer........ and there was NO SEMEN! Not only that, the isothermalizer and paperwork was all gone out of it too, and the zip tie on the latch wasn't there. VERY frustrating!!!

Other than that one instance, I've not had problems with FedEx opening packages. Though somewhere, at some FedEx location there is a tube style isothermalizer laying around!!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

We have never have a problem like that, knock on wood - but that is totally crappy and I wish people realized how much loss of time and expense they are causing when they do stuff like that. Belief in "Do unto others" is really starting to show a decline over the recent years....

So sorry that happened to you, I know I would go berserko!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

As a Stallion Owner, this has happened to use twice over the years. Ironically, both were during out very first year of shipping semen. The first incident was when a disposable shipping container arrived completely beat up and both syringes inside were busted to. I have no idea what they did with it...maybe kick ball?

The second time was our Equitainer having shown up and had obviously been tampered with. The ballast bags were inside of the cup with the semen and things just didn't look right. The semen looked dead under the microscope but they inseminated anyways.

Both times, we went after Fed-Ex HARD for compensation and, while I don't remember the amount for the disposable shipment, we got a $1,000 US cheque on the Equitainer shipment. As well, all shipping charges were reversed at both ends. The $1,000 helped cover the veterinary costs the mare owner ended up incurring.

Just don't take no for an answer from them. You are going to have to keep climbing up the Fed-Ex ladder until you can speak with someone important and make sure you explain everything well and all of the costs involved. We only had the shipment insured for $100 but, from Fed-Ex speaking with the Mare Owner, were able to prove damage to the containers, whether it be Fed-Ex or customs. So, they covered the costs of a useless shipment. You should definitely be fighting to get a claim from them.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

At the vet clinic I used to work at, we shipped both fresh/frozen on a regular basis - we ran into trouble 2x in the 5 years that I can remember. The clients tried to get a claim but only one was able - what I remember it coming down to was that that packaging slips were not put on 100% correct, all stickers not in their respective places, so that someone had to basically look for the tracking #/code and therefore the shipment was 'tainted' - opened in a rush to identify where exactly it was going...

I have a friend who works for FedEx and he said about 99% of the people in his branch know what a semen shipment looks like (often joke about the mushroom containers!), and that it is not something you open to find the information! But there are the few newbies who have no clue...He said the managers even make it a point to make known what a semen shipment is.

How disappointing to have everything timed so well and have that happen

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll pursue FedEx with vigor.

Best wishes !

Talking

Yup, we have had it happen over the years (twice) that containers were tampered with while in transit with FedEx, and therefore meticulously duck tape them, lock them with plastic ties and write "LIVE SPERM" on them!!!

Anna

I havn't shipped semen yet, but is it possible to put combo locks on the Equitainers? Like, would FedEx allow it?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by concertogrosso View Post
    Yup, we have had it happen over the years (twice) that containers were tampered with while in transit with FedEx, and therefore meticulously duck tape them, lock them with plastic ties and write "LIVE SPERM" on them!!!

Anna
    Anna,

Would you believe that the equitainer was all of the above ? Duct taped, locked with plastic ties and well labeled all around. Still they opened and destroyed the shipment. Losers. The lock question is a great one. Thanks again to all.

I used to duct tape the heck out of them, but I was told that they no longer allow duct tape as it was damaging their machines. Now I use other types of tape.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    I used to duct tape the heck out of them, but I was told that they no longer allow duct tape as it was damaging their machines. Now I use other types of tape.
    The container I received last week was definitely duct-taped.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Nice to know. I will definitely go back to the duct tape until I get lectured again.

I had two shipments of semen go astray with Fedex. The first one arrived too late and mare did not take. Second one arrived late, but mare took anyway. So I complained to Fedex on the first one. They were very helpful. I sent a bill for every cost I had - collection, vet, meds, etc. Gave detailed descriptions. They paid up willingly and even sent a gift basket to apologize. About $400 I think, and cancelled the shipping charges.

Complain - so they know what is happening to their shipments, or there will be no improvements.

Good luck.

I insure all of my shipments for $750.00. Not only does that help with pressuring them to find a missing shipment and re-routing it quickly, but it will cover expenses if it gets there too late or not at all.

Default The return trip for the fateful shipment...

My vet locked and taped the equitainer and sent it back to the stallion's farm. When the FedEx'd container arrived back at the stallion's farm, it wasn't even latched and the cooling cans and isothermalizer were gone.

Claims in to FedEx for both shipments. Wish us luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Creek View Post
    My vet locked and taped the equitainer and sent it back to the stallion's farm. When the FedEx'd container arrived back at the stallion's farm, it wasn't even latched and the cooling cans and isothermalizer were gone.

Claims in to FedEx for both shipments. Wish us luck.
    That sounds like it is a person on your end of the shipping cycle. Hopefully you have photographic evidence of the condition before it entered their "stream" on the trip back, that would be a powerful bit of evidence!

We had one FedEx shipment of fresh cooled arrive in barely-there condition - collecting vet at Texas A@M was called and his bench sample was still terrific - as was the "waste" he'd tossed in the trash basket. Mare was inseminated even so, with the way substandard dose - she took. Resultant filly is referred to as the Miracle Foal.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of quality Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Any suggestions on filing a claim sucessfully with Fedex? Would love to hear what to do and what not to do. I need to file a claim, collection sent priority overnight suppose to arrive Friday (would have been perfect since my mare ovulated Friday evening) and didn't arrive until Monday and of course missed the mare's ovulation and the semen arrived dead.

Did the shipper insure it? If so, collect your vet bills, collection fee and shipping bill and send copies along with the claim.

Hi, I don't nomally post on this board but...

I used to work for FedEx and all of us package handlers made it a point to hand over the live semen containers to the new guys and have them guess what it was. The look on their faces were priceless! But unfortunately you can screen for sick/stupid in a manual labor job where it can get up to 130 degrees in a trailer that is stacked manually and now because of equal opportunity hiring any yahoo (whether or not he/she can ACTUALLY do the job) is hired and they have to wait for them to quit, they can't fire them because that is discrimination. ... anyway....

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with FedEx shipping, I hope you get through all the claims and get your lost money back! It was probably some idiot who thought it would be funny to gross some one out.

Okay...I HATE FED-EX-HATE THEM!!!
    They cost me thousands of dollars and more time and energy and frustration than I can count. About seven years ago I was breeding three, yes, three mares by shipped semen. Fed-ex could not get it right. I started in April and they messed up more then half of my shipments-which caused me to miss cycles completely! Overnight is overnight, not three days later-Hello!!!!
    I wound up shipping all three mares mid-July down to Virginia to live cover a different stallion and luckily in August they were all three settled in foal. Oh my God! What a nightmare and boy did my costs mount even before the foals were on the ground I was into each of them for over $20,000 a piece.
    You know who did come through for me? The Us of A postal service. They sent a shipment of semen overnight on Saturday and delivered it to me on Sunday for a breeding from Oregon. Very impressive, on time and mare got in foal.