The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Funny, I even quoted you on stating that is was "MY" fuel price argument, told you three times that it wasn't, and that I wasn't going to take repsonsibility for it as a result, and now you say that you never said it. But there it is in your posts.

Oh well.

I've been working for over a year now - long before Dekalb was finally closed - to try to prevent southern CA horses from illegally going to slaughter in Mexico, which as you correctly imply is a fate that no horse from this country (or Mexican horses for that matter, but we have no power over that) should suffer. What is galling in this state is that a) a larger majority of voters supported our anti slaughter bill in 1998 than have supported ANY animal welfare bill that's ever been brought before CA voters, and b) many horse owners actually do still believe that it's safe to take their horses to auction because of that bill. In fact, there are auctions here that state in writing that horses sold there are safe from sale for slaughter because it is illegal.

The whole situation - basically fraud is implicated in many horse sales at auction here - is disgusting to me, and to many others, and we'll remain dedicated to stopping it.

It is not about me. It is about the horses I see at auction, every two weeks, and at dealer's lots here, and their owners who don't have a clue. They go to Juarez, via a 12 hour trip without food or water in an open stock trailer without plates, and via yet another (slaughter) auction in New Mexico or Texas.

And believe me - I know that the cost of fuel isn't changing a goddamn thing. I knew that a year ago, I posted that, and that is my stance today based on what I see.

Sounds just like how alot of cattle are hauled yet I nevber hear people ranting to ban beef.

I'll never figure out why some place one species over another in value.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Aw Shucks, we all know that cows just aren't "romantic" like horses are!

Blueshadow, do you follow the California-based TB Friends blog? http://tbfriends.com/ He's on the same path that you are. It can be very demoralizing to read, because he's in the trenches and it makes the horse industry come across like a sewer hole, but it is life-affirming in many ways as well. Joe has the most amazing friends and contacts, and some of them are barely in their teens.

I hope the light in them that wants to change things never dies.

The blog seems to have a wide readership, which is significant because the horse industry can always use a little more scrutiny from the outside.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Speaking of TB Friends, here is today's blog, crossposted from ABR. Just when I think it can't possibly sound any sadder than it already does, Joe surprises me yet again. What is the average racing fan like myself who isn't blinded by a gambling problem supposed to think after reading something like this?
    http://forums.prospero.com/alexbrown...es?msg=25819.1
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

I asked my vet if he would euthanize a client's horse if they can no longer afford the care.

He said he wouldn't do it.

Maybe my question needs its own thread, but I am curious if owners are euthanizing horses to make sure they are humanely taken care of. Anyone hear of this happening?

I have a gun, and know how to use it.

If my vet refused to euth a horse, I'd do it myself.

A well placed bullet is just as humane as the sleepy-go-bye-bye juice. Sometimes moreso, since many horses fight the drugs.

I also have the local backhoe operator's number, and I can bury horses on my property.

Are people euthing because they can no longer afford their horses and don't want them going to an unknown fate? I haven't heard of any, but I'll lay odds that there are. I know I'd be one of them, if it came down to it.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    I have a gun, and know how to use it.

If my vet refused to euth a horse, I'd do it myself.

A well placed bullet is just as humane as the sleepy-go-bye-bye juice. Sometimes moreso, since many horses fight the drugs.

I also have the local backhoe operator's number, and I can bury horses on my property.

Are people euthing because they can no longer afford their horses and don't want them going to an unknown fate? I haven't heard of any, but I'll lay odds that there are. I know I'd be one of them, if it came down to it.
    does anyone know if there are any legal ramifications to that? like if you were to put down a completely healthy animal because you couldn't afford it?

just wondering (because it seems like a better alternative to me then seeing them starve)
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.