The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

ok, well, I'm a college student and last week I bought a SECOND HORSE!!!!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Congrats on the new trailer!

This thread reminds me that I intended to look at used truck classifieds this morning. I keep thinking about it when I'm driving but then forget to do it when I sit down at the computer. Maybe if I put it in writing here, I'll actually do it when I get back from the barn.
    Jer 29: 11-13

You guys are lucky!!! Hubbie has me on lock down with the spending.

I am excited for all of you though who are scratching that spending itch!
    Proud Mom of Eryn and Vivienne

I'm saving up some extra money I made doing before- and after-school care for a friend's child to buy a Sensation Ride saddle. I'm about halfway there.

We also put in a deck this year and are going to pick up some furniture tonight. We are doing our part to stimulate the economy.

I just bought a really nice saddle off ebay - which I really shouldn't have spent that money until I sold some of my other unused saddles. That coupled with the $90 I just spent on 3 bales of timothy hay is going to have me eating top ramen this week! Its worth it though, and I like top ramen!

So yes, I have been doing my part to stimulate the economy. I just have to be choosy about where I spend my money nowadays - no willy nilly spending allowed!

Congrats on your new trailer - I'm jealous. I would love to buy a trailer, but I don't have any space to store it when I'm not using it.

Congratulations!!

I keep looking at the trailers on HorseTrailerWorld.com. I keep fantasizing about winning the lottery...just a simple 2+1 would do, a new Morton barn, a covered arena...well, maybe an indoor...and a new tractor.

OK, I'm going overboard

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    I'm an equine manufacturer...everyone please spend!!! Go to your local tack store and buy something this weekend!
    Wouldn't that technically make you a broodmare?

I'll play! Well... my new horse will be arriving June 8th Didn't have to actually purchase him, but paying to have him shipped 1800 miles is purchase enough! Then of course once he gets here all the financial fun starts But I love him and am so excited.

Now someone please remind my husband who just bought his 4th gun holster in a month that only one of us can have an expensive hobby JK, kind of... I'm very thankful he's supporting me getting a horse right now. That's about the only non-life-essential stuff I spend on, besides getting my hair done which I managed to find a new person and cut that cost in half!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I just redid two bathrooms. That's my other vice, separate from my horse vice. Remodeling.

Oh, and I just bought new clippers and some custom chinks for trail riding from a place in Colorado. They're as soft as butter with extra long fringe. I convinced myself I had to have them to spare my jeans from thorny brambles when we ride. Of course, I've never torn my jeans, but it COULD happen.

So I'm doing my part for the economy!

Yes me too, I am contributing. I pay the farriers mortgage, the vets mortgage, the hay mans mortgage, and my mortgage. None of the first three will go into forclosure as long as Sunkissed Acres operates LOL
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Um, so the new horse was "free to a good home"- economizing~ New saddle, new bridle, new blankets, new halter with name plate from Quillin's-not so much. I too am worried about the sudden out lay and double board bill... But fortunately I just quit my good paying job for an 8$ an hour paycut- so I would have more time to spend with the girls! Im in heaven. And selling everything not nailed down on Craig's list. I try hard not to worry about the cashflow and rejoice at my less stressful life. Whats the good of working so hard that I cant enjoy life at all, much less ride and play with the girls?

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Life is short!!!

I just ordered my new trailer this week!!!!!!!! wwwooooooohhhhhhhhhoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me there are others of you out there still spending.....
    I'm still spending, and so are my friends. Gas has gone up, so have groceries. We're not rich, trust me, we are not rich....but..this is MY life and damn it, I'm gonna live it and enjoy it!!!! I only get one crack at it, and if I wanna load up the horses and haul out for a nice hack, I'm going to I just cut back on the frivolous stuff. Prioritize is the operative word....Prioritize.

Yep, my guy has a brand-new Amigo turnout sheet. And a happy mouth bit (which really DOES seem to make his mouth happy, LOL). And I bought myself a pair of those oh-so-trendy Roeckl Chester gloves...I nearly gagged over the $45 price tag, but they are HEAVEN, I tell you!

I did all this with graduation money. I REALLY need to get a job soon.

Well, my DH just bought a boat. Would have preferred moving the horses to a fancy shmancy barn for the next 20 years instead!
    Illinois Equine Attorney - www.zipptocourt.com

I think I single-handedly support Dover Saddlery. I'm in there three to five times a week and even if I just go in for something as simple as vet wrap, I seem to walk out with a receipt taller than I am!! I (stupidly) got the Dover credit card and it's become a twisted little game to see just how much I can rack up in reward certificates! Good thing I decided to go into medicine and become a geneticist...diseases still need cures even in a strapped economy! Ah well, I enjoy it, my horses enjoy it, and I'm sure Dover does too!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

yep, me too!

Between now and July first...i will have gotten another horse and halter and bridle for said horse

I also probably keep my local reptile shop in buisness single-handedly as i'm there up to 2 times a week and and i tend to spend alot of money in there.

Like others have said i just don't spend money on stuff i don't need and i get along just fine.
    "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." ~Edith Wharton

Crayola Posse ~ RedViolet

I'm in the process of building a new 40 x 80 hay storage building.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    Yep, my guy has a brand-new Amigo turnout sheet. And a happy mouth bit (which really DOES seem to make his mouth happy, LOL). And I bought myself a pair of those oh-so-trendy Roeckl Chester gloves...I nearly gagged over the $45 price tag, but they are HEAVEN, I tell you!

I did all this with graduation money. I REALLY need to get a job soon.

OOOh I just got a pair of those Roeckl gloves too... they are heavenly like a second skin!!!! I am upgrading my saddle.. still only keeping the one horse though... and I traded in my van on a Prius a couple of years ago and that has been the best decision I ever made. That car will pay for itself I know it will. DH will graduate from school in a couple of months.. Hopefully he will find a better job.. fingers crossed... and I can completely indulge my horsie habit.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Aside from the normal stuff, gas, food and so forth. My son is getting a whole new wardrobe for this summer and for 4-H, including jeans and boots to show in. Outfitting the pony w/ a new saddle, pad, bridle, halter and lead, also for showing and cause my son is outgrowing his other saddle. Oh to have to move up from a 10" saddle to a 12". And he still fits the 10" seat, but the stirrups are getting too short.

Oh yeah and fencing crap!! Putting in a divider fence here at home, oh joy!! Fence Fairy is supposed to come today to put it in so we don't have to! YAY!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Am full leasing Ms. Katy and saving to buy her, but meanwhile, farrier, supplements, lessons, and I too have a remodelling vice. Had custom curtains made for living room and kitchen, blinds, curtain hardware, paint, and some patio furniture last weekend. All do-able because 1) we bought less house than the bank wanted to qualify us for last year, and 2) car is paid for and sound. (knocking on wood furiously)

Wait, I just called my car 'sound'. Ha.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09