The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Yes the economy sucks but....

Life is short!!!

I just ordered my new trailer this week!!!!!!!! wwwooooooohhhhhhhhhoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me there are others of you out there still spending.....

Default Hay

I'm an equine manufacturer...everyone please spend!!! Go to your local tack store and buy something this weekend!

uh, hello... photos! details!

oh yeah I am spending....

two weeks ago I bought a new-to-me 2001 Jeep grand cherokee - hey it is a real treat to me!

I kicked the not very nice 'house mate' out last August. Course the house was pretty much in shambles by then. So I have been spending money like crazy trying to get it presentable. So far there's a new kitchen, 2 new baths, new hardwood floors, new marble floors, new ceilings, and new paint on all some of the walls. Once we finish up on the inside the contractor will move on 'outside' to new windows and exterior stain. There's lots left to do though. I feel like I'm claiming my life back one room at a time!
    Bridal Sweet 05/28/1983 to 01/23/2008

Unhappy

I wish I had some money to spend... the vet is coming out today for a snotty nose that isn't clearing up.. and I need to buy some more orchard grass hay (2 weeks ago it was 20.95 a bale!!!!!, don't know WHAT it will be today).

So sorry.. no fun "purchases", necessities are taking up my ever shrinking paycheck.

Gah... where is this going to end?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament View Post
    uh, hello... photos! details!
    OK!

Well, I currently have a (1999) Ford Explorer and a B-rup. Had a little scare a couple months ago that I was going to have to replace the Explorer's transmission (turned out to just be a hose) but it still started to worry me that it was going to crap out one day while hauling my big boy.

Soooo, I went out and bought a new GMC 2500HD (GREAT deals to be had right now!! ), and figured that if I have a BFT (Big Frickin Truck), I might as well also have a BFT (Big Frickin Trailer), right? (And I know I just made that acronym stand for 2 different things, but you get my point. )

Sooooo, I just ordered a new 2 horse Hawk Gooseneck with dressing room (and RUMBER floors!!!). YAY!!

AND, I think I already have a buyer for the B-rup (without even advertising!) but if she falls through, I have another person right on her tail who wants it.

No pix yet--should get the trailer in 3-4 weeks!! ACK!!!
    Oh, and just for fun, I got "2TOWMY" with the VA horse head plate. (For the truck)
    Last edited by Invested1; May. 30, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissBri View Post
    So far there's a new kitchen, 2 new baths, new hardwood floors, new marble floors, new ceilings, and new paint on all some of the walls. Once we finish up on the inside the contractor will move on 'outside' to new windows and exterior stain.
    Nice!!!!

I was just talking about this with my SO last night as we were out to dinner and it was PACKED. I know the economy is bad, but I'll tell you, restaurants are still crowded, our local and rated shows are crowded, etc..etc..

Our fencing sales year to date are exactly what they were this time last year. So folks
    are still spending money to keep the horseys safely contained. Hope it continues...
    and we're thinking about selling house/farmette and getting another one a little nicer.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Nice!!!!
    The house is the one thing I am still really spending on. I bought a fixer...
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Both of my horses will be at the trainer's for the next 12 months, so that means it's time to finish getting up all my fencing.

And lest y'all think I hit the lottery or something and try to hit me up for money, I'm not paying to have the horses trained.

My trainer needed a bookeeper/show secretary, and I needed both my horses trained (well, Mack just needs a tune-up), so we used the barter system. I'll be doing her books and keeping her show records, and she'll be training my horses.

So the money I won't be spending on horse feed/hay this year, goes to improving the property. When the horses come home, they're not going to recognize the place!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I just bought an Albion SLK Ultima, with a custom tree to fit my horse. So yeah, I'm spending...that was after the KK Ultra and new snaffle bridle...oh, and did I mention the new horse???

Congratulations - your new rig sounds awesome!

The state of the economy is, like everything, local. The media concentrates on the bad stuff. Good news doesn't boost ratings -- or political agendas.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'm pony shopping!!!!

The SOLE purpose is to support the local economy (coach, vet, farrier, hay guy, show management, insurance... yeah, right...)
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    Congratulations - your new rig sounds awesome!
    Gracias--I'm REALLY excited!!!

Though I suppose I'm going to have to get used to hooking up/hauling a Gooseneck vs. a bumper pull. Oh, and using that trailer brake thingy--yah, have no clue about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I'm pony shopping!!!!

The SOLE purpose is to support the local economy (coach, vet, farrier, hay guy, show management, insurance... yeah, right...)
    Riiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhhhtttttttttt!!

We will need pics, of course..
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Wink

I used my WHOLE stimulus check to buy my new mare! I am a bit worried about a double boarding bill, especially when I learned that my landlord is now selling our rental home and we will need to move. So, I am hoping I can hope on to her- she is SUCH a nice horse.

www.mydriftersjourney.blogspot.com

Those of us with horses have to keep spending. Heck, my feed bill is over $100 a week! Glad to see somebody is bold enough to post about living with the economy.