The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Crazy idea: need advice on smaller horse stallions

I am in an outlandish mood and over the last month have been thinking about what I am going to breed my mare to this year. I have a large pony mare, although I am not even certain how anyone got her to measure under the 14.2hh mark. She is an amazing mover, can easily do a 3 foot 6 course and is pretty. She also loves to be a mom, she has had 2 foals out of pony stallions. What makes things a little bit of a gamble is the fact that we have no idea what her breeding is. She was bought as a show pony and at that time we weren't interested in breeding her. Any how, her first foal is now 3 and is a knock out. Hoping he doesn't grow much more, but other than that I couldn't be more happy.
    So what I am thinking is breeding her to a 16hh or so horse stallion to create a small junior hunter. If it ends up not being what I expect, I am more than happy and able to keep the resulting offspring for myself as a lifer. Being from the pony world, I need advice on what stallions are out there that suit what I am looking for. Price is not an object, after all the stud fee is the lease expensive part of breeding. I am looking for a stallion that throws a longer neck, nice hind end, ammie-friendly brain, and ideally a pretty face. Being from pony history, I really enjoy a pretty face to look at and have never grown to love the typical horse face. Luckily up here in Canada, the children's hunter division is one of our biggest, so if worse comes to worse the horse would have a career there. Ideally I would like the resulting offspring to be has close to the 16hh mark. In that case, what size stallion would you recommend looking at? I'll try and dig up some pictures so you can see my mare.

ETA
    Here is her first foal at 9 mo.
    http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg

O/F:
    http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/26...600x600Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/36...600x600Q85.jpg
    U/S:
    http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg
    *keep in mind I am 5'9" so that will tell you more about how she is built*
    Last edited by dorthyinoz; May. 30, 2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: pictures

I would go with a stallion who is 16.0 to 16.1 h and who has a heavy TB influence, but it is also important to know how he produces height wise. Some stallions produce taller than they are. You might consider Just the Best or Vallado.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

There is Larry's Hat (T.B.) - but he's only l5.1 or so. He is in B.C and available frozen with a LFG. He is from a pony breeding program in Virginia and is well known for that - a stunning mover. Just depends... as usual! on a number of factors.

How about an Anglo Arabian. The attached photo is a 16.1H Anglo Arabian stallion (pic at age three). Very very quiet. Huge stride. Good jump. His TB breeding is Hoist The Flag/Swaps/Bold Ruler...

There is another one in MD named Post Exchange. 15.2 or 15.3H. Accomplished working hunter and sire of the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CobaltJul06bSmall[1].JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	21098  
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Nevada is a nice cross for a pony mare looking to add size. When bred to 14h mares, the foals have matured to about 15.3 h. He will improve necks and hindquarters. Nevada has been ridden by juniors, and he passes along his wonderful temperament.

There are also a bunch (over 175) of nice stallions at:

www.SHNpayback.com
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

What about Shine? Maybe Zarr.

Jupiter is smaller. Cabardino is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    There is Larry's Hat (T.B.) - but he's only l5.1 or so. He is in B.C and available frozen with a LFG. He is from a pony breeding program in Virginia and is well known for that - a stunning mover. Just depends... as usual! on a number of factors.

Oooh, this guy is a great mover. I really liked him from the videos I saw online.

Quote Originally Posted by dorthyinoz View Post
    I am in an outlandish mood and over the last month have been thinking about what I am going to breed my mare to this year. I have a large pony mare, although I am not even certain how anyone got her to measure under the 14.2hh mark. She is an amazing mover, can easily do a 3 foot 6 course and is pretty. She also loves to be a mom, she has had 2 foals out of pony stallions. What makes things a little bit of a gamble is the fact that we have no idea what her breeding is. She was bought as a show pony and at that time we weren't interested in breeding her. Any how, her first foal is now 3 and is a knock out. Hoping he doesn't grow much more, but other than that I couldn't be more happy.
    So what I am thinking is breeding her to a 16hh or so horse stallion to create a small junior hunter. IF it ends up not being what I expect, I am more than happy and able to keep offspring for myself as a lifer. Being from the pony world, I need advice on what stallions are out there that suit what I am looking for. Price is not an object, after all the stud fee is the lease expensive part of breeding. I am looking for a stallion that throws a longer neck, nice hind end, ammie-friendly brain, and ideally a pretty face. Being from pony history, I really enjoy a pretty face to look at and have never grown to love the typical horse face. Luckily up here in Canada, the children's hunter division is one of our biggest, so if worse comes to worse the horse would have a career there. Ideally I would like the resulting offspring to be has close to the 16hh mark. In that case, what size stallion would you recommend looking at? I'll try and dig up some pictures so you can see my mare.

ETA
    Here is her first foal at 9 mo.
    http://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg

O/F:
    http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/26...600x600Q85.jpg
    http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/36...600x600Q85.jpg
    U/S:
    http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg
    *keep in mind I am 5'9" so that will tell you more about how she is built*
    Good for you, I can't tell you how much I admire that statement! I totally feel the same way. Plus the attachment factor.
    Sorry, I don't have a darned bit of advice as to who the sire should be!
    Best of luck in your breeding ventures!
    Collector of fine ponies.

In loving memory of Mr.Zipp 3-25-72 / 11-4-08

Default I'm confused.

Are you looking for a smaller stallion or a stallion to breed to a smaller horse? The reason I ask is that I thought one thing due to the title of your thread but then saw that you wanted the resulting offspring to be 16hh. How tall is your mare? If she is close to 14.2hh and you want a 16hh foal then you probably need to be looking at 17hh+ stallions. Maybe that will work.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

I'm ideally looking for a stallion in the 16hh area, just because I am not certain her breeding and am accounting for the "unknown" here. As well, I don't really want to tempt fate by breeding a smaller mare to such a large stallion (both in height and structure...which is what a 17hh++ stallion would do). Sorry for the confusion.

I like this guy...would have bred to him if my mare hadn't had to be put down...
    http://www.southern-cross-farm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by allanglos View Post
    There are also a bunch (over 175) of nice stallions at:

www.SHNpayback.com
    I STILL cannot view any of the stallion pages. I see the heading, but no photos or text regarding any of the stallions.

I have a Mac and run Firefox. What is up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    I STILL cannot view any of the stallion pages. I see the heading, but no photos or text regarding any of the stallions.

I have a Mac and run Firefox. What is up?
    use safari on your mac, its a standard app.

I'll suggest my own. You can see recent videos of him on our website, he is a beautiful mover and has a very good jump. He is 15.3hh right now, but will finish at 16hh. He sounds like what you are looking for, VERY ami minded stallion too.
    here is the most recent video, this is only his second school jumping with a rider BTW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35NthdysHm4
    Last edited by cheekyhorse; May. 30, 2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: edited to post video link

Check out Coronado WW at Borderline Farm. My 2007 filly by him was the high scoring BWP filly last year - I bred back ;-)

Also, check out Concorde B (on my website). He's a stunning black stallion that produces premium foals. Concorde B has not shown a whole lot in the hunters, but has done well on his few outings.

If Jupiter is still available, I think that's an outstanding choice. I think he'd really be a stellar cross for a pony mare, and he's such a nice individual himself. Have you thought about any of the warmblood pony stallions?! I think more than a few have size behind them, I almost feel like a warmblood pony crossed on a large Welsh is likely to get you an ideal small junior. My other thought would be a cobby connemara, then you'd get the body without the height.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    If Jupiter is still available, I think that's an outstanding choice. I think he'd really be a stellar cross for a pony mare, and he's such a nice individual himself. Have you thought about any of the warmblood pony stallions?! I think more than a few have size behind them, I almost feel like a warmblood pony crossed on a large Welsh is likely to get you an ideal small junior. My other thought would be a cobby connemara, then you'd get the body without the height.
    Jupiter was absolutely my first thought when I read the OP. Really could not go wrong there. Stunning stallion.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

You might take a look at Donarweiss. He is about 16.0 hh, pretty, has white accents , and did well on the jumping portion of his 30 d.t.. He is new at being a breeding stallion so he doesn't have a ton of foals on the ground, but what he does have looks good.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com