The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I'm assuming that you mean when she was eating? She is back in the middle of the stall now. There is one section that is JUST wide enough for her fat body to fit in without being seen. Good news is that it is not big enough for her to hide her big fat body AND her legs in it if she goes down LOL. In one hour she pooped twice. From 9 pm until 6 am she pooped 11 times - and all were soft (not cow patty but soft).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

OK, now I see "The Princess In Waiting." She does look uncomfortable. In less than 1 minute, I saw her kick her belly twice and bite at it once. Poor baby.

HA - no EMMA is the Princess in Waiting... CORY already IS the Princess LOL. (kidding)

Yes, she is very uncomfortable. I'm going to go lay down for a few hours and rest while I can and watch tv. I have to go give Tanz an oxytocin shot at midnight but was smart tonight and brought the shot into the house so I don't have to go NEAR her stall.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

You must be totally addicted to this mare-in-foal thing. Are all your mares back in foal? Did you get Tanz in foal? You know at some point you are going to have to start selling some of your babies.

LOL - that is one way to put it... (or I'm crazy).

Tanz is being bred (for the first try this year) on Friday - we had issues with ordering P and E and so forth. We are trying this year and if she doesn't catch this year she is retired for good so fingers crossed (we will only try once MAYBE twice).

The other mares didn't catch the last cycle and are currently on P and E to hopefully synch them and get them caught in another week (fingers crossed).

As for sale - Preston and Sassy are leaving in 2 days to go to NC, I am retaining Emma, Sara, and Ruby as future broodies, Tate is for sale, and I haven't deceided about Patty - Allie we have to wait to see how she heals if she is sound etc to see if she is going to be a lovely pasture ornament and mascot, or if she will go to make some kid very happy LOL. So see, I am trying to sell SOME of them!!!

Just got in from work and checked the Princess. Some belly kicks but pretty motionless. She sure is holding that pretty blue tail up and away
    *PPP Member*
    "Official" Couch Critic

Well, she's in another corner tonight, that's new!! And yes, that tail is way up and out, but not as much swishing, just "pressure flagging".

I did notice that she had pooped ALOT last night.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

She is so weird.... she is so uncomfortable tonight though.. Last year she was pretty much nonchalant all night long, then right before Emma was born she started pacing etc and then went down suddenly to deliever Emma. Preston, I missed his actuall birth, but that night she wasn't doing anything special earlier in the evening. I kept waking up and checking her (days before cams and I was at a boarding barn). Checked her at 4 with nothing there and nothing to note, went out at 6 to feed and there was Preston under the feed tub....

Ooh, she was biting at her sides AND swishing her tail!! Exciting. LOL Usually every time I look she's pretty darn motionless and just nibbling on her hay. And now she's not even eating. She's clearly not real comfy, but I don't know if she'll go tonight or not. She needs to do more to convince me, unless I'm just missing all of her Princess antics while reading threads to click back and miss it.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

Hi y'all. I just woke up, and I see Corey is alone in her stall. See I told you she's waiting for my birthday . She is so sweet. Ever had one give birth in the pasture during the day? Is there a neighbor who can keep an eye on her?

I'm going to strangle her. Actually, she heard me tell her that I DIDN'T want her to have it last night (can't miss work today) and she obliged. She is just TRYING to be good for her mom! Sorry Trakmom - she ain't waiting for your birthday (I don't want her to!) LOL.

amd - don't know what to tell you. Although, for being such a drama queen about some things, she really doesn't get dramatic about foaling. Now immed AFTER... whole 'nother story LOL. She tends to jump up and spin around to see what the baby looks like - which is fine except both of the last two foals were still IN her when she did that. Preston got dropped and Emma I caught. I expect the same thing will happen this time too LOL.

My vet will be here to pull coggins, ultrasound some mares (jingles that Dove is preg to Oskar!) and so forth at 9 am. But other than that she is on her own. None of my mares have had babies in fields, and I don't think Cory will have hers during the day. When I get to the barn we'll see where we are at. If there are big globs of wax or if there is milk dripping etc I will leave her in with cams on and come home after Court.

Corey is so still. That's how my mare was right before she got down to the business of delivering her filly. With the job you have, these horses must be a great release and stress reducer or at least your stress goes in another direction LOL.

What a funny mare!! The things they choose to be dramatic about. Bugs drive her nuts, yet foaling is a-okay. And after the hard part is done, she wants to jump and look and see what a good job she did? Poor Preston, but glad you caught Emma, bet that was a slimy arm full.

So is Dove preggers? Oskar is a lovely stallion. So leggy and modern looking.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

LOL - that is WHY she is the "princess". I always call Cory "Cory Belle" - one of my friends at a boarding barn started calling her that years ago becuase "she is such a southern belle" and it has stuck because it so appropriate. She cracks me up. She is also the most OBSERVANT horse I've ever been around - she is the one that always reacts to my car (and when I get a new car it is always within a couple of trips that she figures that out), she is the one that notices the snake or other animal in the grass.... But she can't stand bugs - she will not deign to swish them with her tail - she bucks them off, or kicks them off. Foaling... that is good and easy LOL. And she gets excited because she LOVES to be a mom. She is so excited to see her new babies - and generally I"m the only one that she will let come around the baby the first few days. BUT get this... Emma this past year was getting a little stir crazy in the stall and was poinging around kicking etc (at a show in a small stall YIKES). I was in there with Cory and Emma. Cory put herself between me and Emma and wouldn't let Emma come close to me. She has done that in the field too if there are other horses around doing bad things. (she is MY girl ) Emma is JUST like her and Preston is a male version.

Dove may or may not be preggers. She had a 40 follicule the day before we inseminated on the left. But she also had a 30 on the right. We inseminated, then the next day the vet was out and he reultrasounded her to see if she ovulated. She did on the left, but had a 40 on the right.... Today was day 16 for the left follicule. She was not preggers on that follicule, but if (and this is a big if) she happened to ovulate and CATCH on the right she would only be on day 14. Vet says she "feels" preggers, but didn't see anything on u/s. So we are going to check her again early next week. No follicules though right now. This was the mare that had twins last year....

I LOVE Oskar, can't say enough good about him and his owner, Joe. I love my Emma (by Oskar) and am soooo excited about this full sibling coming. I think that Oskar is one of the most underutalized stalions of our time (of any breed) and I think that in a few years peopel are going to be very sorry they didn't breed to him and that they are going to be in hot demand (oskar babies). Oskar is 18 this year so he won't be around forever.

Princess definitely suits her!! What a HOOT! How old is she? Funny she protected you from her own baby! LOL (Reminds me of my stallion a couple weeks ago when the fence guy was here and had his tractor in the field. Ben, naturally, being my "Big Black Puppy", followed me (he kinda heels like a dog, but on the correct side for a horse, and follows me around, hence the nickname my mom gave him ) to the back to see what was going on, not to "help". Guy gets in the tractor and fires it up and Ben walks all the way around me and puts his whole big self between me and the tractor to "protect" me. Despite being a fence between us and the tractor, he still needed to keep me safe. Silly boy. Funny he didn't care when it was moving if I was safe, but sitting there running is a whole different ballgame I suppose.

Crossing fingers Dove is preggers next week then and w/ just ONE baby!! Hopefully no follicles means she is.

Oskar is a great looking boy, for sure... his babies look very nice also (Emma included! lol) And his owner seems very nice, too, after what he did for you and Allie. I had to look at Oskar, because the only Oskar I knew before this one was the big chestnut Russian Trak stallion (Oskar-thorn) and I kinda liked him, too. (I'm a closet Trak lover... lol... always wanted one!!) I'm a big fan of the two "Taz" Trak stallions or anything w/ Pregelstrand and/or Mahogani blood for some reason... which explains why I like Tanzeln so well. I like "Inky" too.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

Red face

Only 9 more days until my birthday! Corey is waiting for me . Sorry if you have to lose sleep, but Corey told me she'd do this for me. Speaking of Oskar, I'd like to tell the world that I bought one of his 08 models. She is so cute! It's just a matter of getting her from Panama City to Illinois. Horse transporters think you live at the edge of the world; they're afraid their trucks will fall off the earth if they go to Panama City.

I meant to add I'm happy amdfarm that your Seabee is home. God bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by amdfarm View Post
    Oskar is a great looking boy, for sure... his babies look very nice also (Emma included! lol) And his owner seems very nice, too, after what he did for you and Allie. I had to look at Oskar, because the only Oskar I knew before this one was the big chestnut Russian Trak stallion (Oskar-thorn) and I kinda liked him, too. (I'm a closet Trak lover... lol... always wanted one!!) I'm a big fan of the two "Taz" Trak stallions or anything w/ Pregelstrand and/or Mahogani blood for some reason... which explains why I like Tanzeln so well. I like "Inky" too.
    Isn't it funny how they "protect" us and form such bonds???

BTW - that Oskar that Joe has IS the Oskar that you were thinking about - he is Russian TK and Joe bought him from Hokan about 2 years ago (or was it 3 now?). Joe is the nicest guy around and a VERY good friend. Love the Mahogani blood myself (and Mackensen which is close to that) - that is why I like Impressionist, Joe's other stallion so much.

trakmom - she IS NOT waiting for you!!! QUIT SAYING THAT!!!!

And didn't you know? Panama City IS the edge of the world!!! (actually where I am is the edge of the world - I don't even have the benefit of the beach!)

She looks so huge; I wouldn't want her to wait any longer than she has to. I guess it's the lights, but her rear end looks a different color than the rest of her.

She always gets massive, she is such a good broodie though. OH, her milk is pure white tonight, otherwise everything is exactly the same - including ph/ca readings. go figure. OK, going out to feed/hay etc...