The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    here we go again

The good news is that there is only one of her this time!
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I'm guessing you don't have a baby yet. How was she looking this morning? Changes in the milk test readings?
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

No baby this am. BUT her bag was tight as a tick this am, there was looser poop in the stall and her tail is loose this am. Did not do a milk test, but will do one tonight. We'll see...
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

OK, it was slightly cooler today (only heat index in the low 90's!!! WOW) and Cory wasn't as sweaty. Still had a bit of a bag. Milk was not salty tasting tonight and was whiter than creamy color (still not WHITE though). Milk test was VERY close to a 6.8 ph tonight (it was kind of funky readings - wonder if the strips can go "off" due to humidity or something??) but not quite there (did the readings about 6 times and got the same answer each time). ca was 250.... so we wait and see. Don't really think it will be tonight, but I think we are def getting very close now - certainly warrents watching more than once or twice a night LOL. OH, we had some big storm cells in the area today/this evening (of course no rain here, but that is another story)...

She looks VERY bored. Not doing much of anything tonight. Last night she was stomping w/ her hind legs and switching that tail like there was no tomorrow and eating on her hay.
    Scratch that, clicked back over and she'd changed corners to face and her tail was going nuts along w/ her back feet. Poor girl.

Come on Cory!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

She is such a princess - anything that bothers her and she makes it VERY known that she is upset. I was watching her around 11 or so and watched her throw herself on the wall to itch her neck - apparently she had a BAD itch LOL. She is a drama queen. What is funny is that with her other two babies, she paced a lot the night of foaling, but she didn't really get all worked up. BIG storms rolling in today (I'll believe it when I see it - we need the rain), so everyone is staying in today.

Sounds like you are getting close! Just as an aside, two out of four of our mares' milk never turned "white". It was a sticky, cloudy yellow, thick substance, colostrum I suppose - because about 2 hours after birth the milk WAS white. So I would not go on milk color alone.

The pH was very correct for us. With all four mares, they went within 24-36 hours of the pH reaching LOW 6's. Like 6.2-6.4. 6.8 still meant 2-3 days out or so... but you are getting there!!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    Sounds like you are getting close! Just as an aside, two out of four of our mares' milk never turned "white". It was a sticky, cloudy yellow, thick substance, colostrum I suppose - because about 2 hours after birth the milk WAS white. So I would not go on milk color alone.

The pH was very correct for us. With all four mares, they went within 24-36 hours of the pH reaching LOW 6's. Like 6.2-6.4. 6.8 still meant 2-3 days out or so... but you are getting there!!!

That is what I'm thinking too. She was still 6.8 (or very close to it) this am and very close to 250 ca this am. She was also yawning and so forth before I fed today .... I think there is a SLIM possiblity of tonight, but more likely by the end of the week??? 'course she IS a drama queen and could just drag it out for grins and giggles LOL. And I had the same experiance wiht the last three mares on the ph levels. This mare tends to have only marginal signs the WHAM everything comes together at the last second.

I'm doing P and E on a mare with clearance issues and am doing oxytocin every 6 hours so will be home at noon to check her just in case.

Have you thought of putting a calendar in Corey's stall with a big red circle around tomorrow, 11 June, so she'll get the message she's supposed to have her baby then. ): Have a serious talk with her that you're tired of waiting and would she please get the show on the road. Pregnancy is not a lifetime deal you know. Be stern with her. If my suggestions don't work, oh well, I tried.

trakmom - I'm just about to go out to the barn and get things setteled in for the night (and put her on cam etc). Everyone was in today thanks to warnings of SEVERE thunderstorms (hail, lightening, etc) - of course it has YET to rain, just rumbles of thunder... sigh.

I had a talk with her this am and when I came home at lunch. We'll see, and she should be up on cam (in her dirty stall) in a few mins.

<banging fists on table> I want her to go BEFORE midnight TONIGHT!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

OK, milk test people/gurus.... I'm wondering.... the ph tonight was still around 6.8 (really, the edges of the strip is 6.8, the middle is 7.2 if that makes sense at ALL - I seriously wonder if the humidity gets to them???? and I will be getting more strips tomorrow) the ca though... did two tests, first one, the edges of the ca was ALSO at 1000, but the middle was closer to 250 (or a little above), I left that strip laying flat on my trunk and did the last one that I had (strip that is). It was around 500 or so all the way through, but the ph was still funky. I put Cory back in her stall and came back to clean up the test stuff... the first strip I did now read a solid 1000 on the ca and half the square was a 6.8 on the ph. ????????????

SOOOOOOO.... would y'all wrap the tail tonight???? She hates it, but I'm leaning with yes, but don't expect her to go.......

Call me confuzzled! I wish I had had time to go to Walmart today to get new strips!!! Tomorrow I will though.

I see her tail is wrapped so you know she won't go tonight. Just so she can say, That's for wraping my tail. My birthday's the 21st, that would be sweet of her to have the baby on my birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by trakmom View Post
    I see her tail is wrapped so you know she won't go tonight. Just so she can say, That's for wraping my tail. My birthday's the 21st, that would be sweet of her to have the baby on my birthday.
    You are prob right LOL. And she better NOT wait until the 21st!

So for the past two hours she has been pretty uncomfortable, lots of belly bites, some kicks, lots of pacing, etc. She also just got done trying to push the wall down with her rear end (LOL) and her belly has been jumping for a bit now.... Not sure if it is tonight, but am starting to think I shouldn't sleep....

She sure sounds like a drama queen princess. Funny mare!!

She's doing her bored stance again. Little flicks of the tail to the right and that's about it.

Come on baby!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

LOL, now it is "I'm going to lay here in this nice hay and oh... I can munch a little.... " LOL (BTW, this mare NEVER goes off her feed - she will literally eat right up till foaling and immed after... you can't go by that for her.

For me it looks like soon, very soon! It is so exciting just to watch her Best wishes!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

OK guys, here it is: She is not on the cam yet - my farrier is here and when he leaves I will turn the cam on so maybe in 30 mins or so.

All physical signs are about the same as last night.

Milk, WHITE, not like snow, but like dirty snow LOL. I even asked my farrier - would you say this is white or cream? he votes white. Also, when I mixed it with the distilled water it did not mix - it stayed seperated until I stired it up.

PH is a funky reading still (new strips) - basically a 6.8, but not QUITE at 6.8.

CA was 500, almost 1000 though no question.

She has had one colt, one filly - the colt was 342 days, she is at 342 days and was fetal sexed as a colt. Filly was 353 days.

She is HUGE and dropped. With all that and the butt pushing, yawning, belly biting/kicking etc I'm going with she may foal tonight (also given that it SUCKS if she foals tonight thanks to my work schedule tomorrow), but she will def (as def as I can say it) foal by this weekend.

Bets anyone? (oh she likes to foal after midnight - I am going with tonight at 3 or 4 am).

Corey has left the country. Where did she go?