The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default It is trivia time again

My head hurts too much from reading the theories of injuries, idiotic remarks from Rick Dutrow Jr, et al. Hence it is time to revive a trivia thread.

This was a good one that I certainly didn't know until I read it in the Thoroughbred Times. Name the only known US President of the United States who - after he left the Oval Office - acquired a portion of an actively started thoroughbred race horse on dirt?

Need a hint?

The horse, who I will not name, was a starter in the Grade-1 Preakness Stakes and a Grade-2 dirt race won neither but did find victory in a stakes race.

While there are only so many Presidents who've been around since the Preakness was started I assume no one was going to pick William Henry Harrison

Ulysses S Grant
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

George Bush owns and trains horses at River Downs

Quote Originally Posted by olympicdreams04 View Post
    Ulysses S Grant
    It was not US Grant.

Just to be clear as my posting likely isn't - the acquisition was made after said President left office. Following the partial ownership stake purchase, this horse made four subsequent starts including the Preakness and ... as further hint, the Ohio Derby.

Gerald Ford

Total guess--
    Harry Truman (because of his connections to the Whitney family)

I really have no idea.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

If the president in question is from Ohio, we can eliminate McKinley, Garfield, and Harding because they did not leave office alive. McKinley and Garfield were assassinated. Or rather, McKinley was assassinated; Garfield was shot by Charles Guiteau and then killed by his hapless doctors. Harding died of a heart attack in office.

Other presidents from OH: US Grant (it's not him), Benjamin Harrison (is usually claimed by Indiana as a native), Rutherford B Hayes and WH Taft. Glimmer already eliminated WH Harrison.

Post-presidency, Hayes went back to Ohio and served the state. Taft went to Yale Law School and then the Supreme Court.

The answer is: Rutherford B. Hayes?

The Ohio Derby is a bit of a red herring I as per say.

By disclosing the sire I'll almost certainly be giving this away, any final guesses? Thus far, while creative, none are correct.

This is probably not the answer you're looking for.

President Andrew Jackson was an enthusiastic owner and breeder of TB racehorses. Ran them around TN and VA but I'm not sure if these were legal tracks. Brought racehorses to DC when he was elected president so he could race them there.

Jackson's famous duel -- he won it -- was over a horse racing debt or a match race or something like that.

That said, Jackson is probably earlier than your guy.

George Washington was a race horse owner and even a racing official in VA. Obviously he never ran a horse in the Preakness though.

Glimmer, you have us guessing already! I'm trivial, but not THAT trivial...
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Oh, heck, I'll take a wild guess and say Benjamin Harrison.

Ok, it's pretty annoying the answer hasn't been posted already...

Teddy Roosevelt?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I even tried to cheat and couldnt find the answer!

Answer: President Jimmy Carter

On a lighter note, there was also the hoopla surrounding Flag Admiral, a long shot noted not for his racing record but for one of his owners. The colt, a Maryland-rule Lasix horse, by the way, is owned by Tom Gentry of Lexington, Ky. and Jimmy Carter of Plains, Ga.
    The Sports Illustrated link above is interesting as it foreshadow's 2008 TC race with quarter cracks, suggestions of "clean" horses vs. "Prescription Preakness", due to MD allowing Lasix.

As cited in the Thoroughbred Times May 18, 1983

Former President Jimmy Carter has privately purchased a part-interest in Flag Admiral from owner-breeder Tom Gentry, with the stipulation that his share of the three-year old colt's future earnings would go to the Carter Library in Atlanta.

Flag Admiral, a bay son of Hoist the Flag .. has won two of his five lifetime starts, including a one-mile allowance race at Churchill Downs on Derby day, which Carter attended.
    Further - Flag Admiral (after the purchase) made four subsequent starts - finishing 10th of 12 in the 1983 Preakness Stakes; winning the $21,600-added Filson Stakes at Churchill Downs; running "well up" the track in the Ohio Derby [G2]; and failing to finish in a 1984 turf allowance race in Santa Anita Park. He was sold for $10,000 at the 1985 Keeneland November breeding stock sale and exported to Venezuela, where he would be represented in 1991 by juvenile champions in both the colt and filly divisions.

Never would have guessed Carter!

Next trivia question? I think it defaults back to you, Glimmer.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

A little bit of a softball pitch here ...

Q: The largest field of actual starters for the Belmont Stakes was how many horses - and was the race run clockwise or counterclockwise?

Oooo I think i know this one.. 1983 and 15 horses?? and Counter Clockwise!

I like the softball ones!

Quote Originally Posted by lrkrame2 View Post
    Oooo I think i know this one.. 1983 and 15 horses?? and Counter Clockwise!
    Correct: Video 1983 - and counter-clockwise, of which all races starting in 1921 (Grey Lag) ran as such. Previously the 'English' way was the direction