The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default at Devon...

Schachine Belle has a LOVELY paint this year at Devon showing first years, and he was pinning quite well. Named Bering C, 4 whites and belly spot and bright chestnut. LOVELY horse.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I've got two by Hall of Fame. Sort of funny because I had no interest in Pintos in particular, it's just that they met all my other criteria so I figured why not???

The 3 y.o. is head to the jumpers or the eq ring and the 2 y.o. has the movement to do the hunters but since I have no interest in the hunter ring we'll see where he ends up.
    I LOVE YOUR HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!! Alright, now I am really jealous!!! Did you get him from Silverwood Farm? In the fall, hopefully, (that is, if I have saved enough money), I plan on starting to look for a pinto dutch warmblood or oldenburg around four years old that I could eventually show in the AA division. Until then, I guess I will keep dreaming and continue checking the Silverwood Farm website!

We've got some cute ones here that pin pretty well at the A shows. One in the adults and one in the Childrens.

I dream of owning a big beautiful pinto hunter. I haven't found my match yet though.
    Last edited by Mimi La Rue; Jul. 24, 2008 at 02:57 PM.

I ride a Pinto Hunter (Paint xTB) We are in our 4th year of showing (he's 6) and he's come up through the ranks - local show circuit where english & western compete together, local hunter circuit for 2 years and this year we are up on the rated circuit and holding our own. As someone already said there are still alot of judges that like to see the traditional colored horses and do feel colored breeds have a place in the hunter world. The other problem is a horse with alot of white stands out in that sea of bays and chestnuts. If we screw up we stick out like a sore thumb (sort of like bare hands). If we screw up in one class, guarentee the judge remembers us not from our number but from our color. My guy is cute, a decent mover, and a cute jumper but when we bring our game to shows our game has to be well above everyone elses just because we do stick out and it's harder to blend in.
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

I was watching my sister compete in a horse show in Seattle a few weekends ago and there were THREE black/dk bay and white pinto's competing in the older adult amateurs. I thought I was seeing multiples like 'didn't we see this horse go already', but no there were actually three of them. They all looked very much like warmbloods too, not QH-ey at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndaelyzoo View Post
    I LOVE YOUR HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!! Alright, now I am really jealous!!! Did you get him from Silverwood Farm? In the fall, hopefully, (that is, if I have saved enough money), I plan on starting to look for a pinto dutch warmblood or oldenburg around four years old that I could eventually show in the AA division. Until then, I guess I will keep dreaming and continue checking the Silverwood Farm website!
    Thanks! I love them too! It's going to be hard to part with them when the time comes.

I bought them from a small breeding operation near Columbus. I had been looking all over the country and not really finding what I wanted and then BAM someone from COTH pointed me to her website and there was Aero who just happened to be 2 hours away. Then 4 months later we bought Adagio as a weanling. There is a 3rd little devil just born a couple weeks ago, he looks like Aero but with a blaze. I have yet to add him to my collection of brothers.

We have a barn full and they all win at the shows....no discrimination.....we also breed colored TB's.....i.e. thorobreds that have a latent gene allowing for color.....they are registered as TB and paints....so you get the color with a TB mind and stride......they do very well

enjoy your new colored horse

Default flyingcolorsfarm

patti brantley has some almost all tb pintos at flyingcolorsfarm.
    I have a grey and white pinto Hessen who can jump the moon when sound. however, he is currently "laid up" with a bad right fore hoof.

[/quote]
    (I am not talking about the quarter horse type paints that may not be able to make the distances, but the pinto warmbloods that are just as capable as competing as the other, not-so-colorful horses). Just wondering...do judges prefer bays???[/quote]

You might want to rethink your opinion on "quarter horse" type paints... They aren't bulldog cow ponies anymore! A paint hunter under saddle horse needs to be 17hs to be competetive and moves as well or better than most of our HUS horses. I have over 40 years on the AHSA/USEF circuit and trust me...the Paint hunters of today rival the regular TB & WB hunters! They have nice long strides and make thedistances very easily. My Paint was 16.2 and worse an 86 blanket. He made the strides with ease and was so tight in front and scopy - MUCH better than my TB A/O hunter. Check out the top paint show barns...you'll find MUCH nicer horses that the pinto registry horses. Pinto takes ANYthing as long as it has color - Paint needs to be TB or Qh and not only do they have better lines but are better movers all around.

Thank you for the advice. I apologize if I offended anyone and should have known better than to make that generalization about the Paint/QH vs. the Pinto warmbloods. My ex-horse was a 16.1 hand Paint/QH and could make the distances, so I guess that it just depends on the individual horse and I should not have stereotyped an entire breed.

My horse is technically half pinto- he is by Domino. However, he is dark bay with no white at all. So there might be more pinto hunters out there, they might not all have color!

Limerick on this board has a lovely splashy hunter that she's done quite well with.

[quote=lyndaelyzoo;3243979]I LOVE YOUR HORSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!! Alright, now I am really jealous!!! Did you get him from Silverwood Farm?

I got both of my boys from Liz. Love them!

Thank you for the advice. I apologize if I offended anyone and should have known better than to make that generalization about the Paint/QH vs. the Pinto warmbloods.

Do NOT worry about this! I did the very same thing. A lot of people do not know the difference between a Pinto and a Paint. I embarassed myself many times before I was 'corrected'.
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    I've got 2 pintos--both are full brothers by Hall of Fame. I do show in the Adult Hunters (moving up next year to the A/O's if everything goes on plan). I don't show a lot because of the cost , but I do usually hit a couple of A shows each year.
    Do you have any pictures that you could post? I would love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndaelyzoo View Post
    Do you have any pictures that you could post? I would love to see them.
    Not coordinated enough. You have email--I think!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Thanks Kirsten. My pinto is by Kodachrome who is by Art Deco. I show him in the Adult Amateurs. When we're good, we're up there with the bays and chestnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Limerick on this board has a lovely splashy hunter that she's done quite well with.

Limerick,

Would you mind posting a picture? I would LOVE to see him!!!!!!!!

I have a State of the Art baby!!!!! though hes not a baby lol. He wasnt given much of a chance when he was younger but hes going to go in the baby green stuff this year and Im hoping to make him into a 3 foot horse. He doesnt have a ton of white. Hes mostly black with four high socks and a completely white right shoulder and a stripe and his tail bone is half white. I dont think there is a lot of discrimination against the pintos as long as they have the stride and the jump then you are good!!! And if you lay down a great trip i think a lot of judges will place you higher cause they really remember and i think a lot of people think its nice when this minority does well!!! granted there are always a some judges who think the pintos arent traditional but who cares! I love my pinto more than anything and dont care if a few judges think he is untraditional!!!

p.s.....my guy is half TB....i can post pics if people want

Please post pictures!!!! I would love to see him!!!!!!!!