The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 139 of 139
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep. 23, 2004
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    292

    Default

    [quote=Cloverbug;3447105]Okay I looked in the Pinto Horse 2008 Rule Book (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but according to Page 53, E6 World Show it doesn't appear you need to qualify for the show.

    That is correct. I was at a Pinto Show in May, and the other ladies were asking me if I was going to the World show. Ah, no....... And they replied that I did not need to be qualified. All I needed was a current registration and membership, and a Pinto registration. Wow! Coming from the AHSA/USEF background, I had thought that there was no way in this lifetime that I'd ever get to a World show, but given the requirments, I might just have to put Oklahoma on my calendar! And in my goals!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!



  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2007
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    91

    Smile Makin a comeback

    I have seen quite a few paints going around the ring lately. Definitely more of the warmblood type frames, but with a lot of color. I think they are beautiful! I have just started riding a State of the Art baby as well as a warmblood paint and never liked them until I rode them. I think a nice horse is a nice horse no matter what color(s) it is. I would just warn that certain paint-type bloodlines do have a tendency to be high-strung (but what breed is exempt from this?). I say if you find a nice one go for it!



  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pandasgirl View Post
    I have seen quite a few paints going around the ring lately. Definitely more of the warmblood type frames, but with a lot of color. I think they are beautiful! I have just started riding a State of the Art baby as well as a warmblood paint and never liked them until I rode them. I think a nice horse is a nice horse no matter what color(s) it is. I would just warn that certain paint-type bloodlines do have a tendency to be high-strung (but what breed is exempt from this?). I say if you find a nice one go for it!
    my guy is by state of the art



  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug. 18, 2007
    Posts
    304

    Default

    The girl who has the Huntiing Horn at shows in NY has one, she does well with it, I think that Andy Lomiker trains for her.



  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2004
    Location
    Virginia. We Do Ponies!
    Posts
    11,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danosaur
    pow wow was at my barn a while ago. that pony is the best.
    Otteridge Pow Wow is a beautiful pony and won his three year old class at Devon.
    His little full brother, Otteridge Black Hawk was the first (and so far the only) pinto to be Grand Champion in Pony Breeding at The Devon Horse Show. Here is a picture of him (Kathryn Southard photo) from the Middleburg Classic.

    They are by *Forge Nimbus out of Miss Bar Dee.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Hawksmall.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	22576  
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse



  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBred View Post
    Otteridge Pow Wow is a beautiful pony and won his three year old class at Devon.
    His little full brother, Otteridge Black Hawk was the first (and so far the only) pinto to be Grand Champion in Pony Breeding at The Devon Horse Show. Here is a picture of him (Kathryn Southard photo) from the Middleburg Classic.

    They are by *Forge Nimbus out of Miss Bar Dee.
    fancy pony!!!!



  7. #127
    Join Date
    May. 20, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    2,978



  8. #128

    Default

    I didn't ever realize there was Paint shows and even World's. I will have to research this out. My daughter has had her paint for the last six years since Sugar was 2. She is the best and a great jumper. They just did there first AA division together and got a 4th o/f out of 20. There were some pretty fancy horses there. Here is a pic of them.

    http://www.gallopprints.net/gallery2..._itemId=163787

    To bad the pic was taken a second to late, but that is Gallopprints for ya!



  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun. 11, 2006
    Location
    Berryville, VA
    Posts
    2,814

    Default

    We have a large that is making up into a pretty fancy hunter. He's only five and should mature top-of-the-line (he'll get carded in December). The judges love him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChelseaDenoSandstone1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	22582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChelseaDenoSandstone2.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	22583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChelseaIBABlueDiamondHackLElmington.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	22584  
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com



  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2004
    Location
    Lancaster, PA, USA
    Posts
    7,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Showponymom Aefvue Mid Atlantic Division View Post
    I didn't ever realize there was Paint shows and even World's. I will have to research this out. My daughter has had her paint for the last six years since Sugar was 2. She is the best and a great jumper. They just did there first AA division together and got a 4th o/f out of 20. There were some pretty fancy horses there. Here is a pic of them.

    http://www.gallopprints.net/gallery2..._itemId=163787

    To bad the pic was taken a second to late, but that is Gallopprints for ya!
    Just so you know there is a big difference between how an APHA Paint hunter show is judged and an open show is judged. At APHA shows the horse that usually wins is going at something a lot closer to a lope than a canter (more Western-ish than the A hunters) and there is generally not a whole lot of impulsion over the fences. I know of several Paints that win on the A circuit and lose at APHA shows and vice versa. Just so ya know what to expect!! A winning APHA hunter is more forward than an APHA western pleasure horse and less forward than an open hunter, in short. At the world shows it is a bit better but at the local APHA shows around here most of the time what wins in the hunters looks darn close to a WP horse dressed in a close contact saddle.



  11. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    Just so you know there is a big difference between how an APHA Paint hunter show is judged and an open show is judged. At APHA shows the horse that usually wins is going at something a lot closer to a lope than a canter (more Western-ish than the A hunters) and there is generally not a whole lot of impulsion over the fences. I know of several Paints that win on the A circuit and lose at APHA shows and vice versa. Just so ya know what to expect!! A winning APHA hunter is more forward than an APHA western pleasure horse and less forward than an open hunter, in short. At the world shows it is a bit better but at the local APHA shows around here most of the time what wins in the hunters looks darn close to a WP horse dressed in a close contact saddle.

    Thanks for the info, the beauty about our Sugar is that she is broke Western first then English. So she can show both ways, she usually does better in the Pleasure horse hacks than the hunter ones because she is so laid back hacking.



  12. #132
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    Just so you know there is a big difference between how an APHA Paint hunter show is judged and an open show is judged. At APHA shows the horse that usually wins is going at something a lot closer to a lope than a canter (more Western-ish than the A hunters) and there is generally not a whole lot of impulsion over the fences. I know of several Paints that win on the A circuit and lose at APHA shows and vice versa. Just so ya know what to expect!! A winning APHA hunter is more forward than an APHA western pleasure horse and less forward than an open hunter, in short. At the world shows it is a bit better but at the local APHA shows around here most of the time what wins in the hunters looks darn close to a WP horse dressed in a close contact saddle.
    I can attest to this, it is the same as QH hunters. I did great in the O/F classes, pinned first and second, but when it came to the undersaddle class, I finished dead last. I was busy lapping everyone at the trot and the canter. It was beyond embarrassing, I am surprised the judge could even see the other horses with me "running" around the middle of the arena.



  13. #133
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    363

    Default

    APHA & AQHA are judged very similar - on western principles. Even the horse's head set is more "western". The Pinto Association is a little different (or at least they say they are) they say they judge the horse on it's type - hunter, stock, pleasure, etc. Seems like that depends in what part of the country you are in. This year we did one Pennsylvania Pinto Show and I was less than impressed. We insteaded opted for the OCAP Program with the Pinto Association and were able to use the rated shows to accumalate points on my horse's show record. http://www.pinto.org/ocap.html This is the first year doing this so I'll let you know how it goes at the end of the year.
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon



  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jun. 16, 2006
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    310

    Default

    i'm the girl from the hunting horn tack shop......I have an art deco grandson who is Fantabulous! He jumps a 10 and is an 8 mover. A little bit of a slow learner, but has a heart of gold. Once he gets it, it's all good! He has a ring presence about him that can't be learned. it comes naturally. he makes you want to watch him. he has a personality bigger than anything and i just love him to death!



  15. #135
    Contessa Guest



  16. #136
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,492

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrkDxTzPUNk

    Panda Paws at her first show. (she is a 3yr old SOTA)

    Shelley's boy is a cutie, and he does stand out. Good thing he is a good mover and a tidy jumper!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!



  17. #137
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    Semantics but...

    Be careful of Paint and Pinto. They really are two complety different registries and saying something is a Paint, for example, may not be true at all. Rules for one world show may not be the same as the other...just because the Pinto World show does not require qualification does not mean the Paint World show does not.

    I may be out of date, been years since I showed these but...Pinto is for horses of color and is split into Saddle, Hunt and Stock (western) types. Can be anything from Saddlebreds to Morgans to colored TBs, WBs and whatever meets the requirements for color. No particular bloodline requirements for geldings and relatively easy to get in with unknown parentage and with an older horse. You do not have to qualify for their World Show.

    Paints are specifically QH type and must have QH, Paint and (I still think) TB ancestry. They do not need to be viseably marked...may just be high white or have a belly spot. They have a breeding stock designation for those with proper parentage and no white. There are bloodline requirements for registry and hardship cases are difficult and expensive to register. I believe you do need to qualify in at least the more popular classes to go to Worlds.

    They are not the same. At all. I showed in both and the Paint was more competitive and type specific. The Pinto was a little less high powered and more varied in type. And, yes, many do both and may be double registered if also in their respective breed stud book/registry.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  18. #138
    Join Date
    Mar. 12, 2006
    Location
    Western South Dakota
    Posts
    2,442

    Default

    We have a couple who are not stock horse types at all. The first Pinto we produced was sold as a Hunter and I believe competes in the Childrens. We are just starting her full sister now and she is a very nice mover and jumper. Remember though, a Paint is a breed and is basicly a QH colored, a Pinto is the color and can be any breed. Since ours are WBs they are Pintos, not Paints.

    We find that most people are more concerned with the horse and how it goes, rather than what color it is.



  19. #139
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2008
    Posts
    542

    Default Pintos!

    In answer to the original post - not sure where the big ones are. We own an adorable small pinto pony that I swear by.

    I can recommend a great kids 2007 movie (that I adored) by the name of "moondance alexander". The best (perhaps only) english horse movie that I have seen.



Similar Threads

  1. Show Hunters of the past
    By ponybreeder in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 698
    Last Post: Aug. 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
  2. Replies: 107
    Last Post: Mar. 1, 2004, 06:43 AM
  3. I need YOUR help on choosing famous hunters...
    By Texan By The Grace Of God in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness