The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Where are the Pinto Hunters?

I am wondering if anyone knows why there are so few pinto warmbloods or thoroughbreds competing in the hunters. I used to own a paint (in the picture from a previous thread), and plan on buying a pinto oldenburg of the State of the Art or Art Deco bloodlines in the fall. However, I would like to compete in the hunters and am just wondering why there are so few that compete in hunter-jumpers. I live close to WEF and have been attending that show for the last ten years or so and always wonder why you don't see that many pinto hunters. If you do see a pinto warmblood, they are usually in the jumper classes. Can anyone explain this??????????
    (I am not talking about the quarter horse type paints that may not be able to make the distances, but the pinto warmbloods that are just as capable as competing as the other, not-so-colorful horses). Just wondering...do judges prefer bays???

A lot of judges do not like "non-huntery" type hunters - this includes pintos, apps, quarter horses that look like quarter horses, palominos, buckskins, etc. It seems to be more acceptable in the pony divisions - where there are some nice ones that fall into this category - Benlea Neptune immediately comes to mind and Goosebumps.

This is just my observation.

Its hard enough to find a nice nice nice hunter of any color. When you make it a paint/pinto you make it harder. I see a ton of paint/pintos. Ranging from QH type to very very fancy wb types at horse shows where i live.

Heck, I even rode and showed one for a little while.

There are some out there and the rated USEF judges do NOT care what color they are. The non rated judges should not care and most of them do not.

The color pattern can be found in WBs like Art Deco's line but it's not very common so there are not so many that can also jump a Hunter course in good enough style to pin.

The color pattern is also specifically bred for BUT not on horses with the conformation that allows for tight knees, round jumps and a smooth lead change with a Hunter style gallop. Most of them are basically QHs with another contingent of Pinto ASBs.

It's just not a common color in horses bred to be Hunters or built to do the job.

Far as the "prejudice". The last one I saw at a local show whined about the color keeping her out of the ribbons...guess she didn't know she did the whole course on the same lead or remember the 2 chips and the "drive by". But it was convenient to place the blame on that.

I think there is one still going called Picasso and there is usually one of them at any big show.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I've got two by Hall of Fame. Sort of funny because I had no interest in Pintos in particular, it's just that they met all my other criteria so I figured why not???

The 3 y.o. is head to the jumpers or the eq ring and the 2 y.o. has the movement to do the hunters but since I have no interest in the hunter ring we'll see where he ends up.

Another thing to consider as to why you might not see as many of them in the Hunter ring is that a pinto is going to stand out in the memory quite a bit more. A judge is going to have an easier time remembering the odd-colored horse's round than that of yet another relatively plain bay or chestnut that goes by. I remember several people desperately attempting to steer me away from a grey as a prospective Hunter/Eq mount for similar reasons. (I ended up going in to the Jumper ring instead, haha!)

I have heard/read stories of pinto and appy prejudice - I think someone here shared a story about how either they or a friend were dismissed by a judge who told them something like "cow horses don't belong in the Hunter ring". A friend of mine thru highschool had an appy and did alright, though I do think that every once in a while her horse's unique look kept her from pinning as well as she should have simply due to his memorable nature.

Quote Originally Posted by ef80 View Post

I have heard/read stories of pinto and appy prejudice - I think someone here shared a story about how either they or a friend were dismissed by a judge who told them something like "cow horses don't belong in the Hunter ring". A friend of mine thru highschool had an appy and did alright, though I do think that every once in a while her horse's unique look kept her from pinning as well as she should have simply due to his memorable nature.
    Here's some most recent pictures (scroll down the page) of my "cow horse" pinto. I'd die laughing the day a judge dismissed him as a "cow horse". At 17.1 hh + at 3 y.o. the very idea of him being a cow horse....

http://www.jumpshotusa.com/cgi-bin/p...4&code=2008lx2

I've got 2 pintos--both are full brothers by Hall of Fame. I do show in the Adult Hunters (moving up next year to the A/O's if everything goes on plan). I don't show a lot because of the cost , but I do usually hit a couple of A shows each year.
    My younger one (just turned 5) has just started showing in the very baby, baby divisions. But, I do plan on showing him more as he matures physically and mentally.
    I've only been 'judged' down once at a schooling show when the judge told me my horse was not suitable for the show ring--hunt field yes, show ring no. Other than that, I feel that we have always been judged fairly. Sometimes, I think we have gotten ribbons ahead of where we should--and that I attribute to us standing out in the crowd.

Tidy Rabbit, I like your boy!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Default I have one!

He is a baby green this year, with Oklahoma Bound lines. He is very thoroughbredy...he just has some color!

Here's a picture:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00844553SaMcvV

and the other side...so you get to see all the color:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00844553RLuUwg

I've had him since he was a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    I've got 2 pintos--both are full brothers by Hall of Fame.

Tidy Rabbit, I like your boy!
    I have two full brothers too! I would love to see your boys! Here's my other one... http://pets.webshots.com/album/553263988cyfWTr << those pictures are from last fall. He looks a bit different now as a two year old.

It's funny how they can be full brothers and so totally different in personality!

I just got one.. looks like your basic cow horse prospect, until she trots (then you can see the TB).. nice free jump but totally green atm. I want to get her pinto papers too but know nothing about the color names, I think she is a tobiano but then maybe a splash. I need help in that area.

Frankly, I never thought I would ever own a horse with blue eyes (thank goodness she has eyeliner) but her huge step and personality made me keep going back to do/try one more thing and then the ol' check book came out.

I have a Dutch bay tobiano, by Alla Czar out of a Samber daughter. I only show at the local level, can't afford the big shows, although most of the horses on our local circuit do the recognized shows. My horse has been well received. He is a very distinct type, large framed with a huge step and lots of scope-he probably is better suited for the jumpers. His jumping form is wonderful, so I get away with his dressage style movement. ef80, you're right-when you are 16.3 and brown and white, there isn't any place to hide!

If the judge likes kind, big moving horses, I'll get ribbons I didn't deserve. If the judge wants something more refined, I'll not be so lucky-I don't think it has to do with his color.

For me, his color is just chocolate and vanilla icing on my cake of a lifetime!!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I have two full brothers too! I would love to see your boys! Here's my other one... It's funny how they can be full brothers and so totally different in personality!
    True! Nice album! I'll have to dig some out from home and send them to you (I'm not as savvy with albums like you are)

I got both horses from Silverwood Farm. Their momma was Heaven. My older one (8) is a bay tobiano, and runs the farm. His brother (5) is a black/white pinto-marked exactly the same on both sides, and he's a total momma's boy. Sweetness is his strongest feature. They look entirely different. Cameron (older one) is thicker. His body is just like his daddy's, and his head is his momma's. Prophet (younger one) is lighter boned, and has his daddy's head. Cameron has a big star and white nose, and Prophet only has about 5 white hairs. You'd never even think they are related!
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    True! Nice album! I'll have to dig some out from home and send them to you (I'm not as savvy with albums like you are)
    Please do! PM me when you have them and I'll send you my email address. I'd love to see some adult HOF babies!

id say the reason there is 'prejudice' about many appys and paints and QH's is because most of them are NOT TYPEY. now, mind you, im was a proud leasee of a quarter pony AND a pinto, except for the fact that the pinto was actually a welsh pony who just happened to have pinto color but close enough. i never really got any prejudice about him, i dont think, because we placed pretty well at "AA" shows and stuff in the hunters.

my paint welsh in the larges
    http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/phot...67660_6354.jpg
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

My friend just imported a LOVELY Dutch mare that is by Orame that is a minimal pinto. four high stockings and a belly spot. She has only been out of quarantine a little more than a week and just showed in the baby greens at an AA show thursday and friday. She was 2nd adn 2nd and 4th in the hack (with a swapped lead twice right in front of the judge out of 16 or so horses) on the second day.

Here are some pics of her
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=201301603

I'm thinking of buying a pinto WB/paint 2 year old. He's not too flashy (four high whites (one that is REALLY high), a blaze and a few miscellaneous spots) and the thing that really holds me back...besides the uncertainty of buying a 2 year old...is his color. He's nicely marked, but he's still marked. I grew up riding an appy and a paint and while I loved them both, we stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the bays and greys. Then again, when we did well, it was an amazing feeling.

Ah...look at Aero wearing his big boy pants. He looks great (though I don't envy you sitting that high up on a youngster. The ground is a LONG way off. )

Hali: That mare SOOOOO doesn't qualify as a pinto. four whites and a hidden belly spot is just the ever desirable CHROME. (Love her little smidge of white on her head).
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

What a nice horse!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Indian View Post
    My friend just imported a LOVELY Dutch mare that is by Orame that is a minimal pinto. four high stockings and a belly spot. She has only been out of quarantine a little more than a week and just showed in the baby greens at an AA show thursday and friday. She was 2nd adn 2nd and 4th in the hack (with a swapped lead twice right in front of the judge out of 16 or so horses) on the second day.

Here are some pics of her
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=201301603
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=201301603
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a pinto WB/paint 2 year old.
    PiCtUrEs????? Where are the pictures? You can't say something like that and not provide more details!

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Ah...look at Aero wearing his big boy pants.
    Ya, he played dress up that day. He got to wear the Eskadron boots and everything! He still doesn't have any shoes and probably wont for another year or so. I was tempted to put bell boots on him too for the pictures! I'm such a dork! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    PiCtUrEs????? Where are the pictures? You can't say something like that and not provide more details!
    He's not mine...so I don't feel comfortable posting pictures without his owner's permission.

If she gives me permission, I'll PM you a link.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"