The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting (?) device

A new way to tell what your horse is doing w/ it's head....

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1070/OTV508

Sort of thinking that that might mine take his whole body 'vertical'...

As if riders didnt alway fixate on the area behind the poll enough. Omg. That would suppose that the horse is to be (steadily) at the vertical instead of slightly ifv.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

And as if riders aren't already looking down enough! I would constantly be adjusting my wingnuts.

When working with this device, riders should wear something like this

http://www.villagehatshop.com/propel...ogle&kw=191301

to be sure their heads are level as they are staring down.
    Last edited by Kathy Johnson; May. 26, 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: agreement

It actually shows all three...

Red - BTV
    White - V
    Green - IFV
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Wow, I had to spend several months with a very good dressage trainer to stop fixating on my horse's head. That device would put me right back at square one. Perhaps a monitor to tell you when your horse is engaging his hind end and reaching under with his hind legs would be more appropriate, LOL!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

"Wingnuts", indeed. Those are the only folks who would actually use something like this.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Thumbs down

A head tosser would be deadly with this!

It doesn't maintain a position, It just tells you when you horse's head is on the vertical.
    What a relatively harmless, worthless piece.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My horse would pitch a fit if I put something that uncomfortable under her headstall.
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by tollertwins View Post
    A new way to tell what your horse is doing w/ it's head....

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1070/OTV508

Sort of thinking that that might mine take his whole body 'vertical'...
    It's amazing to see what people do to beat the Germans and Dutch in dressage

My daughter is learning dressage with her pony. I sent that link to her trainer. I still have not forgiven her trainer for thinking a just might be serious! Ouch!
    Yep, we have a head tossing Arab around here. I have visions of his riders face getting whacked a bit with that lovely device

seems harmless compared to all of the other devices out there. i really don't see any reason that it needs to be ridiculed.

If it spins beyond the red, does that mean "rollkur"?

It's a cute wheel. It would be cuter if they attached pinwheels to it or something.

i don't really see what the problem is, except the obvious issue of you are going to have that thing sticking out the back of your throat if you ever fall off frontwards.

Maybe it is secretly marketed by a head tossing horse, hoping to get more 'weapons' out to his equine friends....

It is harmless otherwise and won't damage horses if used incorrectly. It has that going for it.

I think it's ridiculous. Whatever happend to riders becoming good horsemen and learning feel? If you don't know what your horse is doing under you, you need lessons not a device.

LS - you are being a bit of a spoilsport.... sheesh what do you expect - that people take the time to learn to ride well?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    LS - you are being a bit of a spoilsport.... sheesh what do you expect - that people take the time to learn to ride well?

You're right. Sorry, what was I thinking?

I don't think there's any reason to get all high and mighty about this or accuse people of not wanting to learn to ride.

If it actually works, and breaks apart if yiou happen to hit it, I don't see the problem with it. No better way for a beginner to get some feel for how the horse feels when he's rounder and more supple. My objection is that it becomes basically one thing more to run into and get jammed down your throat, if things don't go quite as planned.

People starting in dressage actually have a very tough time 'feeling' where their horse's head is. They can't see it, and they can't connect up what they feel with where the horse's head and neck is. If the horse is not bending and is resisting the bit, this will help them connect up how that feels with how it looks.

Like any device, it can be misused, and of course there is the problem that a bazillian people think dressage is all about making a horse 'assume the magic position'. But they're going to be misusing any piece of equipment, including their reins.

No, I don't particularly care for any sort of 'dressage appliance', and they all can be misused or be used as a crutch. But they do not fill me with righteous indignation, or make me want to speak with dismay about how 'others' 'don't get it'.

I truly might buy it if it tweedled a tune in time to my horse's tempo (and more bling, please, glitter that thing in Swavorski crystals.) I am all for multi-media.

Other dressage "appliances" I might like to see:

The Freezer. Stop action remote controlled camera to shoot a picture of the horse in the perfect moment (as dictated by the OTV training aid)

The Range: to increase the range of the rider's sitting trot. This would resemble a Homedics vibrating, heat on demand, sheepskin seat saver. Sold as a set with gel-soled stirrups.

The Swiffer: all in one grooming wand, riding whip. For those hard to reach places, or to touch up as you ride.

OMG.

That is hilarious.

Since the horse's "head" should be in front of the rider I am having a hard time understanding why rider's cannot "see the head" as some have stated. Maybe they should open their eyes.

If the rider cannot see the poll of their horse while they are sitting in the saddle, maybe they should consider that the neck is overbent. Perhaps.

Edited to ad: A rider is supposed to be able to barely see the orbit of the eye and the edge of the nostril on a circle when the horse is bent properly. From that a rider should be able to tell if a horse is on or close to the vertical. Other wise, the rider is not advanced enough to be worrying about the vertical. They need to learn to follow the horse's natural gaits first before attempting to impose the aids to a large enough extent to bring a horse close or onto the vertical. Just a thought.