The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallions suggestions for '09, looking to produce FEI Dressage horse :)

I am looking to book my mare for a stallion for the 2009 breeding season. She is a lovely mare, with stunning movement. She is very expressive in her movement, I would maybe like a bit of a more uphill canter though. She is being bred to Fabuleux this year. I cannot do frozen with her (severe reaction last time). I want an FEI prospect foal, and I will be keeping it if it is a filly. She has had very nice offspring by the stallions Zorn, Idol, and Fuerst Gotthard before I got her. She is registered ISR/OLD, but will be presented to GOV.

Here is a link to her page: http://secretambitionstables.com/kahluanights.htm

And here is another picture (remember, she's 18, and out of shape)
    http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...82008234-1.jpg

I was kind of thinking Royal Prince..

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Dressage_Diva333; May. 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Might be worth looking into KWPN stallion, Farrington Keur. He throws exceptional offspring with great temperment and gaits, especially the canter. I think I've heard of someone that got their Farrington colt registered Old GOV and that he was VERY well received. He has produced multiple Grand Prix dressage horses. I've had a few young ones to work with and they are amazing horses.

check out www.majesticgaits.com or www.vdlstud.nl

You might want to breed back to Fabuleux. Fabuleux has a fantastic canter and he definitely passes it on.
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

I really like the mare! We have noticed in all of our foals by Donatelli a significant improvement in the canter. He seems to reliably improve the rear end - each of our foals has the same "hiney" and tail placement (just like his), and each has a fabulous, elevated, rocking and rythmical canter. However, he will likely not produce much knee action, but a lot of reach (goes with the good hind end). He has also put on a very good head (dishy like welsh pony). We are using him as a hunter sire and have been thrilled, receiving a great reception from other hunter breeders and trainers, and are breeding back continually. However, he has produced many upper level dressage horses and himself got outragoues scores at GP.

I also like Royal Prince a lot! We saw many offspring by him at a Hanoverian Mare Show last fall and they were all lovely type, refined, leggy, good heads. I did not see them move however as we were showing ourselves, but I really did like them.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I may only have the chance to breed her twice (due to her age), so I would like two different stallions

Is there a conformation picture of Donatelli somewhere? Maybe I missed it. I really liked him from the videos! Do you have any pictures of your foals by him? I really like the idea of breeding to a proven performance stallion

Any more suggestions?
    Facebook Page.

I'm a big fan of Contucci.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

I like Royal Prince for her. I really don't think you can go wrong with him, and his better offspring are jaw-dropping.

Contucci has some lovely, lovely babies, but he can throw heavy and does not reliably lengthen the legs. The mare is gorgeous, but I would breed her to a stallion that could add a smidge of length in the legs, personally, and avoid anything that can throw tankish.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    I like Royal Prince for her. I really don't think you can go wrong with him, and his better offspring are jaw-dropping.

Contucci has some lovely, lovely babies, but he can throw heavy and does not reliably lengthen the legs. The mare is gorgeous, but I would breed her to a stallion that could add a smidge of length in the legs, personally, and avoid anything that can throw tankish.

I agree, she definetly needs longer legs As well as a strong topline (something I forgot to mention). What is RP's temperement like?
    Facebook Page.

Nice mare !

Have you looked in the ISR/Oldenburg Breeder's Guide at the stallion test ratings ? The individual scores for gaits are listed....

Do any of the stallions you're considering have the scores you want ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Nice mare !

Have you looked in the ISR/Oldenburg Breeder's Guide at the stallion test ratings ? The individual scores for gaits are listed....

Do any of the stallions you're considering have the scores you want ?
    Thanks, I really like her

I havn't, is it available online, or in print?
    Facebook Page.

You can see Donatelli on Dreamscape Farms website. (they also have Freestyle, Sagnol and Novalis. Donatelli is now at Jennifer's farm, and he is showing in the hunter ring this year. He's a nice boy!

I'm not sure that Donatelli would be the best choice for her if your aim is to produce a long-legged foal. Fabuleux and Royal Prince are good suggestions, and you might also want to consider a Sandro Hit son such as Sinatra Song, Sagnol, Soprano, etc. The Sandro Hit line generally throws long legs, however the jury is still out on how useful it will be for producing FEI horses. Sandro Hit offspring very often go wide behind at the trot - esp. during lengthenings - and sometimes have trouble sitting enough for good upper level collected work.

You might also want to take a look at our Don Principe (Donnerhall/Prince Thatch xx).

He is reliably adding length of leg, strong hindquarter,excellent walk and canter. Super character and work ethic. Don Principe is showing FEI himself and just this past weekend, swept all of the KDA CDI* small tour classes. He will be at Dressage at Lexington (VA) if yo want to see him in person. Many photos on our website and a free DVD is available.

Don Principe oldest are just starting under saddle, but have already proven their ability both at home and at shows.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    www.sporthorsestallionexpo.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

I have no idea what RP's stallion test scores were, but I do know that he has excelled in competition and received outstanding scores on his gaits. He is currently showing 4th Level here. Re temperament, there is another thread here in which several owners of RP offspring reported excellent things about the temperaments of their RP babies (the thread title had something to do with lengthening legs, but if you search the archives for Royal Prince I am sure it will come right up).

I have only heard good things about RP himself, but do not have firsthand information on that. I would contact Hilltop; that are very good about discussing their stallions' suitability for particular mares and IME, will flat out say if one or another would be a better match.

And Don Principe, as well, is showing FEI level, as Marydell pointed out (the Prince Thatch line may very well compliment your mare nicely).

I think stallion test scores are important to a point, but it is hard to argue with actual performance results in upper level competition. Don't forget that a lot of stallions out there, even some of the very lovely ones, have barely seen the inside of a dressage court in competition.

In terms of Sandro Hit line, I think some of his sons more reliably lenthen legs than he does himself, and the one I would pick for this mare (Stedinger) is only available frozen. I have seen a few Sinatra Song foals that were gorgeous, but I believe I would go with RP or DP over SS for her. It definitely would be worthwhile to look into all 3, though, and see what you think.

Edited to Add: one to watch is Starlight, Rick Silvia's stallion. http://www.dreamstreetstallions.com/starlight.htm
    I have not seen any of his offspring yet, but think he is an interesting stallion.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; May. 30, 2008 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post

Edited to Add: one to watch is Starlight, Rick Silvia's stallion. http://www.dreamstreetstallions.com/starlight.htm
    I have not seen any of his offspring yet, but think he is an interesting stallion.
    I am breeding my mare EM Diotima (Donnerschlag-Matrose) to Starlight this morning. Rick just emailed me and Starlight was 2nd (to his other horse Lullaby) in only his 2nd Intermediare I class in FL with a 69.5%. He is only 8 years old and his first US foal crop comes this year, so hard to say what he will produce. Obviously I am hoping he will produce well!

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    I am breeding my mare EM Diotima (Donnerschlag-Matrose) to Starlight this morning. Rick just emailed me and Starlight was 2nd (to his other horse Lullaby) in only his 2nd Intermediare I class in FL with a 69.5%. He is only 8 years old and his first US foal crop comes this year, so hard to say what he will produce. Obviously I am hoping he will produce well!
    I think we have the same taste!!
    I can't wait to see your Starlight baby. He is definitely on my "watch" list, as I indicated : ). He has a very interesting damline, as well.

Donnerhall line stallions don't always reliably add length of leg without also adding depth of body. Don Principe has a TB damsire, though, so he may have a better chance of adding length of leg than many other Donnerhall-bred stallions.

I agree that Stedinger would probably be a really nice choice for this mare (depending on her temperament), but the OP says she cannot use frozen with her. Starlight is certainly another really interesting idea! He is doing really well in competition and Rick has done a super job of bringing him along. And I agree about his damline - he has a lot of jumper blood in his pedigree, which makes him doubly interesting as a dressage stallion. I can't wait to hear about his first U.S. foals!

As pretty as Starlight is, he appears rather heavy in his photo, and his pedigree doesn't look very refining. Nice stallion for the right mare though.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    As pretty as Starlight is, he appears rather heavy in his photo, and his pedigree doesn't look very refining. Nice stallion for the right mare though.
    It is true that he is heavier than some other Sandro Hits, but he is still quite modern in type. And for some mares, the fact that he has more frame is a good thing. Plus (IMO) some of the SH offspring are too light in the frame (ie, waspy).

Obviously not only do the dressage judges love Starlight (ie, high scores at FEI), but the USDF Sporthorse judges do too -- he was inducted into the USDF Hall of Fame because his overall median score was a few percentage points higher than any other horse in the history of USDF (85% median). In person he is really quite lovely.

Tasker's Waldaire is GOV and ISR/Oldna approved. His lifetime average is over 65% and his lifetime average at Intermediare 1 is over 68%. He competed through grand prix with his amateur owner rider/trainer, amassing more than 43 national year-end awards from USEF and USDF. And his babies are wonderful (I have several).
    Her web site is www.watermark-farm.com.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist