The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stallion that puts leg on a mare??? STALLION SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!

I have a Weltmeyer mare that could use a little more leg, and a nice refined neck...ok she could use refinement everywhere actually!!

Could also use a rounder, stronger canter.

ANy ideas???

Preferably fresh, but *might* consider frozen this year.
    Quality European Warmbloods
    www.centrelinefarm.ca

For frozen, Stedinger. For fresh, Royal Prince.

Sandro Hit is an obvious choice - VERY leggy, beautiful canter, super elegant... !

Quote Originally Posted by iroquois View Post
    Sandro Hit is an obvious choice - VERY leggy, beautiful canter, super elegant... !
    I think Stedinger more reliably adds leg than his sire does. I have seen some really short-legged SH offspring (though obviously he has been bred to tons of mares so I am sure you can find examples of anything with him). And I am saying that despite the fact that I own a very leggy and modern SH mare, so I am not one of his detractors by any means. I just don't think he reliably adds legginess.

Yankee-

I have Sagnol right by me, and he is a 3/4 brother to Stedinger. I have thought about him for her...BUT The mare is a dipstick. Could really use a good brain, and I am not so confident in the Sandro Hits.

I have heard they can be difficult horses.

And as for SH himself, well, I am not at all willing to fork out $2500 for frozen with no LFG. No matter how super he might be.
    www.centrelinefarm.ca

I cant offer any brilliant suggestions for you, but how is the Guaranteed Gold / Hannah colt doing?

I loved the TB cross with this mare - it seemed to be a perfect niche with her.

Are there any TB stallions that have done well in dressage up to Medium / Advanced levels that might be a consideration for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline Farm View Post
    Yankee-

I have Sagnol right by me, and he is a 3/4 brother to Stedinger. I have thought about him for her...BUT The mare is a dipstick. Could really use a good brain, and I am not so confident in the Sandro Hits.

I have heard they can be difficult horses.

And as for SH himself, well, I am not at all willing to fork out $2500 for frozen with no LFG. No matter how super he might be.
    My SH is easy, easy (both to ride and to handle), BUT, she is out of a Donnerhall mare that is a saint, so she may very well be getting her temperament from her.

My Hohenstein mare is in foal to Stedinger, and I chose him in part because she could use a titch of length in the leg and neck as well. She has a classic Hohenstein temperament (great brain) and an excellent walk, so to the extent those can be issues with SHs I was not so worried about it with this particular mare.

The Royal Prince offspring I have seen are so lovely -- beautiful, elegant lines and super movers. They seemed like they had nice temperaments but as I don't own one and have not dealt with them on a daily basis, others would be better positioned to comment on that. Also, Royal Prince has that nice TB influence coming through from Prince Thatch.

Dressage Royal. I have three and they are all leggy, lovely movers and very people oriented. You can't beat his pedigree: Donnerhall--Rubinstein--Futuro.
    His video is on youtube.
    BTW DR's dam Rosalie has a Florencio foal here:
    http://www.oldenburger-pferde.com/me.../Fohlen_85.jpg
    It might give you an idea of the Weltmeyer addition to Dressage Royal's pedigree.
    Last edited by not again; May. 25, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

My De Laurentis filly is much leggier than her dam, and more refined. She has a super mind too, very sweet and incredibly sensible.

Hey there Truecolours-

Even though he is going through his hideous 2 yr old phase, he is still very gorgeous! Good movement, and I have to say that Guaranteed Gold put a stunningly beautiful head on him. His owner is absolutely in love with him. He is a sabino to boot, so that just adds to the flash. Is GGold sabino? I cannot remember. The mother of my mare was, but this colt is the only one she has produced that is.

Unfortunately, breeding to a Tb (that is not coloured!) is just not a good idea in this market. Even though it would probably be a fantastic cross, I think the foal would be impossible to sell.
    www.centrelinefarm.ca

The Trakehner stallion Oskar is known to add lots of leg to a mare. Definately worth a look.

I think if I were worried about temperment I would avoid Stediger. I LOVE the stallion and his offspring..absolutely every one I have seen is gorgeous but I have never heard so much negativity about the temperment he throws...and from very reputable, experienced breeders. Though I have not heard this reliably of other SH sons and Sir Donnerhall sure has a fantastic canter!

Londonderry is one who has crossed very well on Weltmeyer mares and may offer what you are looking for as well.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I'll second Oskar. LONG legs on his foals, very long!

I would endorse Oskar for long legs. I also had a photo from Talley of a Black Tie filly that had very long legs and was just beautiful. My Corlando colt is quite leggy and has a super canter, very rhythmic and balanced even when he is uneven (yearling!). Both the Oskar and Corlando foals are nice to handle as well.

PennyG

If you are up for frozen, we are having a sale on Benidetto (Belissimo M/Cordoba). He is leggy and refined, and has a SUPERB temperament and ridability.

The Londonderry/Weltmeyer is a good cross !!( have 2 from that (well, one passed this winter, very sadly) and own a 3rd Londonderry. And have a Londonderry/Weltmeyer gelding here. However, the londonderry can also be sensetive!

I love the Stedinger I have seen, but although leggy, I would not say he refines!

What is her full pedigree?
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I think if I were worried about temperment I would avoid Stediger. I LOVE the stallion and his offspring..absolutely every one I have seen is gorgeous but I have never heard so much negativity about the temperment he throws...and from very reputable, experienced breeders. Though I have not heard this reliably of other SH sons and Sir Donnerhall sure has a fantastic canter!

Londonderry is one who has crossed very well on Weltmeyer mares and may offer what you are looking for as well.
    Londonderry could work. I would not do Sir Donnerhall. I like the stallion but he can throw very heavy offspring; it completely depends how much that Donnerhall comes through and I would not breed him to a mare that needs a bit of refining.

RE Stedinger, I have heard mixed things about the temperament issue but in capable hands they do fine (even those that have expressed concern to me have said that under their (proper) handling they have grown up fine). FWIW, a top German breeder highly recommended him for my mare, and he has had several Stedinger offspring (and has produced Olympic horses himself). But then again, if I listened to whisperings about various horses, I would not have bought my Sandro Hit mare (because I had heard they could be difficult, were underachievers under saddle, and had cr*ppy walks, among other things). But as it turns out, had I passed her up I would have been making an enormous mistake.

Rubino Bellissimo produced a beautiful, leggy filly for my friend. She is very modern and elegant, great length of neck as well.

I have to second the Londonderry suggestion. I dont think I have seen a single londonderry that i havent liked. Then again they have all been out of nice mares.

All of them seem to be very leggy and has refinement.

I know Inge and Klaus Khuns Londonderry mare sold for 130,000 euro into the barn of Isabell Werth.

And Walnut Farm has a BEAUTIFUL Londonderry/Weltmeyer mare (would KILL for that mare), the scores are on the website and she scored very well at her MPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Farm View Post
    If you are up for frozen, we are having a sale on Benidetto (Belissimo M/Cordoba). He is leggy and refined, and has a SUPERB temperament and ridability.

The Londonderry/Weltmeyer is a good cross !!( have 2 from that (well, one passed this winter, very sadly) and own a 3rd Londonderry. And have a Londonderry/Weltmeyer gelding here. However, the londonderry can also be sensetive!

I love the Stedinger I have seen, but although leggy, I would not say he refines!

What is her full pedigree?

I went to your website but could not find any information about your boy...Am I blind and just missed it? Pretty picture though!

She is out of a Vosmaer/Commandant mare. Heavy, old fashioned, moves like you wouldn't believe with incredible power, but could use some areas of modernization! And a bigger, rounder canter. When she gets tense she flattens out.
    www.centrelinefarm.ca

Fabuleux.

He is very leggy, and has an excellent canter. Fabuleux is very modern, and popular.

I also like the suggestions of Royal Prince, Stedinger, Sagnol, and Dressage Royal.

As for Londonderry, I have heard that they can be a bit on the hotter side (with the TB), there have been several Londonderrys that I have seen that have been "just okay". And Londonderry's damsire is Warkant (by World Cup I), same as Weltmeyer...
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud