The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NC research dogs need rescue or moved to "terminal" study 5/30

CONTACT INFORMATION AND LINK TO PHOTOS BELOW!

These babies deserve better. As someone who rescued a research foxhound, I know how wonderful these dogs can be. There are pictures in the link below. If they are not rescued by MAY 30TH they will be moved to "terminal" studies -- so unfair to animals who have had no chance at a happy, normal life.

I won't be back in the country until late evening on Monday, but will make the drive to NC from Charleston if a transport run is needed next week.

NINE DOGS NED RESCUE OR ADOPTION FROM LABORATORY, OR THEY DIE MAY 30th:
    >
    >Please follow this link to see pictures of the nine Laboratory dogs that must be rescued by May 30th, or they will be in "a Terminal Study." Please help or cross postto other rescues!
    >
    >http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lnshewmo/dogs/index.html
    >
    >MORE INFO:
    >
    >Laboratory Animal Resources at the Vet School (North Carolina State University--Raleigh, NC) has 9 dogs available to
    > be adopted out immediately. These dogs have been offered before and we
    >
    > had no takers. These dogs will go to a terminal study if we do not
    > have any takers before May 30th. We would much rather see these dogs,
    > who have given so much to research, go to a good home to live out the
    > rest of their lives but can not keep them here any longer. Please
    > contact me before May 30th if you are interested. See link below for
    > pictures:
    >
    > ID# Name Sex Breed Age/ DOB
    > 79131 Fallon F Retriever mix 5 yrs
    > 83741 Isabelle F Foxhound 6 yrs
    > 84522 Jacqueline F Beagle 1/30/02
    > 61932 April F Lab mix 6-8 yrs
    > 83740 Ikester M Foxhound 6 yrs
    > 96348 Dabney FS Small mongrel 8/8/04
    > 96349 Talley FS Small mongrel 8/24/04
    > 96352 Carter MC Med mongrel 8/4/04
    > 96354 Doak MC Med mongrel 8/4/04
    >
    >
    > (CLICK TO SEE PICTURES)
    > <http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lnshewmo/dogs/index.html>;
    > http://www4.ncsu.edu/~lnshewmo/dogs/index.html
    >
    >PLEASE CONTACT This person, if you can help with a rescue:
    >
    > Angel Rollins
    > Assistant Facility Manager
    > College of Veterinary Medicine
    > Laboratory Animal Resources
    > 4700 Hillsborough Street
    > Raleigh NC 27606
    > 919-513-6340(phone)
    >
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

That is SO depressing! They're all gorgeous and some of them look so worried . . . here's a bump for them.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Oh my God, you guys, these dogs at least deserve a fighting chance. Can we get them fostered? ANYONE, can you foster a dog. I will take two if they get along. Kennel is up. I will find them a loving home from here.

Oh this breaks my heart. I have seen dogs in laboratories.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Ok. I posted this on Facebook to my sister in law and niece. They are in Apex and I know my niece has a ton of friends on Facebook. Maybe that will make a difference for even one dog if they are adopted locally.

If someone can get April (or Tallon or Dabny) to western NY (or maybe even western PA where my mom could pick up and deliver from there) they can be "fostered" here until hubby meets them, falls in love, and we add another dog to the crew forever.

Can anyone get a dog down here to FL? I'm looking for an outside larger breed dog that can get along with the horses, my lab, and my schnauzer... I have a friend that may come in the next week or so to my house, but don't want to commit her to bringing a dog with her! Can help with gas of course... or meet part way.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Talley is almost a mini-me of my shepherd mix. Only their ears are different.
    Still Crazy After All These Years

Is there any chance that this is a hoax?

I'm coming up blank on a search for the name of the contact person.

ok, found her, her name is listed as doris angela
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I would also be willing to foster a couple of dogs, and find them a home in WNY, if somehow they could be transported here. I am near PalominoMorgan, so between us, we could help 3-4 of the sweet doggies.....

We do seem to have lots of good rescues around here. I know the Volunteers for Animals out of the Batavia animal shelter place A LOT of dogs. Maybe I'll send off an email and see if they can help at all. They tend to pull in medium size dogs from southern shelters to place.

Email sent to Volunteers for the Animals. A long shot, but what else do these dogs have at this point. http://www.vol4animals.org/puppiesdogs.html

Got a reply back from someone saying they could take a beagle and a small female mongrel. No contacts in NC, but she will see what she can do. *fingers crossed*

My daughter is in NC at the moment and will transport doggies back here to GA. We can save some of these guys. I will foster if necessary but cant be a permanent home. Refer to off topic day and Missy Paris.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I just got back to the country this evening. I will try to find out for certain which dogs need help, if any had rescue, etc. I am in Charleston, SC but could probably help in a rescue transport chain if needed.
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

please keep everyone updated if someone takes one of these dogs and which ones are still in need of rescue.

Has anyone actually spoken to Angel Rollins or another person at the college? I tried to call, but her mail box is full, and I couldn't seem to get transferred anywhere to speak to someone. I hope this means that there is a lot of interest, and the doggies are currently being spoken for...

They are currently fielding responses - all us employees got emails saying that they were in the works of sifting through a lot of emails and calls!
    Amy
    "No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses." - Herman Melville

YAY!!!! Hopefully all of them will get good homes, but I can still foster if needed.

Anyone know how this situation worked out in the end?
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives