The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default video of quaterback foals UPDATE: 5 new foals!

Hi,

I compiled a list of videos of Quaterback baby video footage. You can see the videos at:

http://behindthebit.blogspot.com/200...llions-us.html

Let me know if you know of other videos -- would like to keep the list up to date.

Stacey
    Last edited by staceyk; Jun. 12, 2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: update
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

Hey, this is great! Thanks!
    Got my semen and I don't think I have been this excited about a cross for a long time (assuming she takes!)
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

This is the perfect opportunity to notice that the mechanics of the mare play a big part in baby's movement. Forget about the stallion for a minute and just watch the baby trot with mom. Notice the striking similarity.

This is why I said Quarterback for the hunters and people poo-pooed. Check out the baby with the flat moving mare (video 2 I think?). Baby has much less action and is much more a hunter mover. Moms with lots of knee/fetlocka action = a lot more knee/fetlock. Breed him to the AA hunter hack winner and see what you get. He does not throw the knee every time obviously, on a flat mare.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I'm seeing alot of QB's movement dynamics in those foals. Look at the striking similairities in Judy Yanceys two fillies who have totally different dams.
    www.svhanoverians.com

Does he throw straight front legs? Sometimes it looks like they toe out.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post

This is why I said Quarterback for the hunters and people poo-pooed. Check out the baby with the flat moving mare (video 2 I think?). Baby has much less action and is much more a hunter mover. Moms with lots of knee/fetlocka action = a lot more knee/fetlock. Breed him to the AA hunter hack winner and see what you get. He does not throw the knee every time obviously, on a flat mare.
    I still would not use Quaterback on a hunter mare to produce a hunter. Even assuming the resulting foal gets the dam's movement, then what exactly is Quaterback bringing to the table?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    I still would not use Quaterback on a hunter mare to produce a hunter. Even assuming the resulting foal gets the dam's movement, then what exactly is Quaterback bringing to the table?
    Name recognition?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Name recognition?
    Name recognition makes sense for the dressage market, but unless and until someone shows Quaterback consistently can produce hunters, I don't think his name would be a selling point in the hunter market, particularly when selling foals. They do have to be able to jump well, at some point, also, so already H/J buyers have to take a bigger leap of faith in buying a baby than a dressage buyer has to do. That is a lot easier to do when the sire is known to produce horses that jump beautifully. And, in fact, if I were still breeding H/J, I would be a lot more focused on choosing lines known to produce a beautiful jump than a flat-kneed trot (though ideally of course you want the whole package). So, if someone said to me that Quaterback is producing beautiful jumpers with a great walk and canter and passable trot (for hunters), I would find that a lot more compelling than hearing simply that you can breed the knee action out of him.

I agree, I really don't understand what would be the draw of QB as a hunter sire. A he is unproven, B his gaits are the antithesis of hunter movement (and I, as well as Judy Yancey and others, see alot of QB in the foal movements) , C we aren't sure what he is throwing in terms of jump. A far as name recognition, there are many, many stallions that have name recognition, so that can't be it either.
    www.svhanoverians.com

In the original thread the OP was blown away by QB and wanted to use him on a hunter mare to produce a hunter.

IMHO she wanted a QB foal, despite the rather dubious practicality of the endevor.

That is what I meant by name recognition.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The only way to find out things is to try. I am just saying I would TRY him for the hunters if I had an infinite amount of money to "experiment". I did not mean to start the debate all over again, but was mere pointing out this proves just because he has knee does not mean the foals will. Whether or not he would be a good hunter sire would remain to be seen. That is represented by the videos above, and the apparently fact that babies move, in general, more like the dam in mechanics. There are definitely other stallions I would look to first, but I would not say he is out of the question if someone wanted to do it. He is obviously throwing nice type and quality which could be suitable for the hunter ring. To each their own I suppose!

Again, look at Rubin Royal. Watch a video. Then know that he is one of the most sought after sires when people look in Germany for hunters, I have heard it from many people. No one thinks hunter when they look at him, but it's not HIM, it's what he produces!! Proof is in the pudding's pudding.
    Signature Sporthorses

Again, look at Rubin Royal. Watch a video. Then know that he is one of the most sought after sires when people look in Germany for hunters, I have heard it from many people. No one thinks hunter when they look at him, but it's not HIM, it's what he produces!! Proof is in the pudding's pudding.
    What does he produce? He's not on USEF's sire lists.
    Can you provide some pudding? Like a name of a Hunter showing in the US by Rubin Royal.

If you want to breed a marketable Hunter foal select a stallion that is proven as a Hunter sire or as a Hunter/Jumper performer. If you are doing an experiment it's up to you what you breed to but don't expect it to be saleable as a foal or a yearling.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Does he throw straight front legs? Sometimes it looks like they toe out.
    You need to make sure the mare is correct. He is not, it is a Quattro thing. The mare I will use for him is great in that department, so I'm not too worried there.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

I read the original QB thread about using him to produce a hunter as I am always looking for the quintessential hunter mover. So, I was very interested in seeing the horse that provoked the discussion. I looked at both the QB videos and the foals. He seems pretty consistently prepotent for his movement: high headed, highly elevated front end, knee bend and pretty extravagent hock movement. Seems to me these traits are not what we are looking for to produce the classic hunter mover. And, as pointed out above, he is not jumping or being marketed for jumpers. If I bred for dressage, I think I'd love him if temperament were also there.

We all know there sometimes is little value in the USEF Sires List. A stallion can have one offspring that does very well that puts him at the top of the list. I would rather see one that has many offspring that puts him at the top, and there are those. So, that doesn't really factor into what I think is a good stallion... I just know what I have seen as far as young horses and they are consistently nice, and I have heard many folks who travel to Germany to look at prospects can't even find Rubin Royals to look at because they've all been bought up, or they are outrageously priced.

I wouldn't breed to him [Quaterback] with the intent to produce a marketable hunter foal alone since that is not his "niche", but I just think it would be interesting, that's all. Open mindedness is a virtue.
    Last edited by Signature; May. 25, 2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Signature Sporthorses

Oddly enough a friend out of state who is a long time and very well known hunter breeder called casually yesterday and we talked about our foals - she said she had a fabulous hunter foal this year out of her best hunter mare, but she was almost afraid to say who it was by due to it being a little unorthodox... I asked who? And she said Quaterback.

She suggested folks take a look at his pedigree - Brentano II has been seen in the pedigrees of many, many nice hunters and is a flat mover himself as well as Beach Boy being being by Zeus, sire of Alla C'Zar and Jupiter to name a few. She said Quando-Quando was a hunter hack winner also. Quaterback also received 8's in his free jumping during stallion testing and this person said he can jump also, she has seen him do so. When she saw Quaterback in Germany as a younger horse she said he did not trot like that as a 3yo - much of it may be man-created. I just thought this was interesting considering the topic at hand, and that others also see the potential and can "think outside the box". We are now breeding the horses that will be the winners in 5-7 years and there will never be improvement unless someone takes a chance.

She also had this to say, which I found interesting: Remember that Quaterback's damsire was a puissance winner so definitely had scope, Quando-Quando's damsire was Akzent II, the sire of the well known hunter stallion "Shine" among others, Quattro B's grandsire is Galoubet, sire of the famous Olympic gold medalist, three time world cup winner, Baloubet du Rouet, sire of Balou du Rouet, who tons of people are using as a hunter sire ....Hmmmm....what else? Beach Boy's damsire is the great Lucky Boy, grandsire of the famous hunter Justified who sold for a ton and was the second horse in hunter history to score a perfect 100, also Lucky Boy in the Just the Best line of hunters. The first one was Osczar, who was sired by Alla Czar (by Zeus, also in Quaterback's pedigree!) Brentano II's sire Bolero sired tons of hunters as well as having the G line same as Poesie's damline. (damline of Voltaire, sire of Popeye K, also All the Gold, etc.)

People have to remember it's not just the horse himself but the entire line behind it.

I have asked for a video of this foal and will post it if I ever can get it!
    Last edited by Signature; May. 26, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Signature Sporthorses

How many Quaterback foals have been born in this country this year? How many more are left to come???? Weren't there under 12 expected??? I guess Judy Yancey would be the one to know!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I think 12 in one year in the US from any stallion, particularly a foreign stallion, is a lot.

Don't forget, the Germans didn't even come to the hunter "table" until just a few years ago. I still don't think they really get the hunter thing, I think it's more a matter of not wanting to miss out on big bucks if big bucks can be had.

Almost all of our imported hunters were purchased by knowledgeable North American hunter riders and trainers after winnowing through the jumpers or the occasional dressage horse. There's still a tendency to lump "hunter/jumper" together here in the USA when you go down the rungs of expertise. So, to that end, I wouldn't really say that the Germans have any sort of hunter breeding program whatsoever, nor any deep grasp of what American hunter riders really want, although they're willing to learn and are learning.

Dressage bloodlline can often take the jump right out, as someone pointed out earlier--- a hunter must jump eventually, too.
    Jill
    www.eurofoal.homestead.com
    European bloodlines made in America

Thanks for the pedigree info, Signature. I see he has a mixed jumper/dressage background.
    Jill
    www.eurofoal.homestead.com
    European bloodlines made in America