The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 115
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 1999
    Posts
    17,599

    Default What's up with the negativity?

    All I am seeing these days on this forum which used to be a positive community with postings is one negative thread and/or remark after another. What gives?

    Sure this forum sees an upswing with the TC and even a bit towards the Saratoga meet and then Breeders' Cup day. With it comes passion for one favorite or another. Yet otherwise we've always been rather civil on any subject - even when discussing the dark topics which obviously do exist and the few posters that I know do not outright ignore. Rather we've seemingly as an unwritten rule refused to wallow in a constant state of moaning with each post or thread about the woes of everything. I don't live where there is a dark cloud hanging over me daily and neither is there for racing.

    We could talk until the end of time of neglected horses, et al. But that isn't about the racing of horses. We could talk about the practices of one trainer in particular but the industry is greater then one man or woman trainer. We could constantly dwell on the subject of one race but the rich legacy of racing is chock full of thousands upon thousands of races.

    Everything and anything in this world can be improved. From people's private lives, to government, to environmental issues, to the ever diminishing lack of maners, the rude nature of one generation over another, the forced tollerance of profanity in every day life, the influx of violence as acceptable daily life, et al.

    Horse racing is no more immune to such evolutions and changes, good or bad, that then any other part of life, sport, business, hobby, or recreation.

    I get rather tired when people drift onto this forum, with an agenda-based need to point out X injury, or add Y link to an article citing abuse at some track god only knows where, or why suddenly as a the self appointed czar of racing that the following must be done to fix it all.

    I'm all in favor of dialogue but the death by a thousand cuts - and I don't mean images on tv - but rather the snarky "I'm just saying" types of observatiobns (made with blinders) really sours people.

    Add meaningful comments, have fun and do contribute but above all else just think twice before you post!

    Cheers.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2006
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,303

    Default

    Maybe it's carried over from the eventing forum.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 27, 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    430

    Default

    I am so glad you posted that. I was thinking exactly the same. I don't post on this forum that often - although I do lurk- and I have always enjoyed it because it was free of negativity.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 1999
    Location
    flyover country
    Posts
    2,196

    Default thanks Glimmer

    we needed that. I try to be informed, and have a historical perspective, and enjoy this forum tremendously. Sometimes, I write replies, that make no sense, and delete them if after another read, they seem too snarky.
    I think with the flurry over Eight Belles, and all the deaths in eventing just this year, people who do not know either sport are giving voice. After watching both 'specials' on Saturday, what will actually be acomplished? I had the tube on all day Saturday, and sadly didn't actually 'watch' most of the races. Back to watching 'thru my fingers' or the replay. I think when we get closer to the belmont, things will uptick again
    Another killer of threads



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2008
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    All I am seeing these days on this forum which used to be a positive community with postings is one negative thread and/or remark after another. What gives?

    Sure this forum sees an upswing with the TC and even a bit towards the Saratoga meet and then Breeders' Cup day. With it comes passion for one favorite or another. Yet otherwise we've always been rather civil on any subject - even when discussing the dark topics which obviously do exist and the few posters that I know do not outright ignore. Rather we've seemingly as an unwritten rule refused to wallow in a constant state of moaning with each post or thread about the woes of everything. I don't live where there is a dark cloud hanging over me daily and neither is there for racing.

    We could talk until the end of time of neglected horses, et al. But that isn't about the racing of horses. We could talk about the practices of one trainer in particular but the industry is greater then one man or woman trainer. We could constantly dwell on the subject of one race but the rich legacy of racing is chock full of thousands upon thousands of races.

    Everything and anything in this world can be improved. From people's private lives, to government, to environmental issues, to the ever diminishing lack of maners, the rude nature of one generation over another, the forced tollerance of profanity in every day life, the influx of violence as acceptable daily life, et al.

    Horse racing is no more immune to such evolutions and changes, good or bad, that then any other part of life, sport, business, hobby, or recreation.

    I get rather tired when people drift onto this forum, with an agenda-based need to point out X injury, or add Y link to an article citing abuse at some track god only knows where, or why suddenly as a the self appointed czar of racing that the following must be done to fix it all.

    I'm all in favor of dialogue but the death by a thousand cuts - and I don't mean images on tv - but rather the snarky "I'm just saying" types of observatiobns (made with blinders) really sours people.

    Add meaningful comments, have fun and do contribute but above all else just think twice before you post!

    Cheers.
    Well, the sport is dying if you haven't noticed. Typically, when things aren't going well in an genre there tends to be discussion on how to fix it. Burying your head in the sand and wanting everything to be a merry happy place is your right to do so.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2000
    Location
    Goochland, VA
    Posts
    8,572

    Default

    And there is precisely what Glimmer is talking about. Thanks, DICK, for the example/reminder we all needed.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    well said glimmer....i think we need to make dick, king of the drama club.there is a positive to every thing.....enjoy your horses people do not be jealous of others......



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2004
    Location
    Virginia. We Do Ponies!
    Posts
    11,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lauriep
    And there is precisely what Glimmer is talking about. Thanks, DICK, for the example/reminder we all needed.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    (Great post, Glimmerglass.)
    Last edited by VirginiaBred; May. 19, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver, Equine Insurance Specialist



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 5, 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    Well, the sport is dying if you haven't noticed. Typically, when things aren't going well in an genre there tends to be discussion on how to fix it. Burying your head in the sand and wanting everything to be a merry happy place is your right to do so.
    Hey guy are you always so cheerful?

    Crying out loud I haven't seen you post one upbeat thing. Maybe some prozac or therapy might be in order?

    Give us a break already!
    George



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    5,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    Well, the sport is dying if you haven't noticed. Typically, when things aren't going well in an genre there tends to be discussion on how to fix it. Burying your head in the sand and wanting everything to be a merry happy place is your right to do so.
    With all due respect, the sport has been "dying" for decades. I hardly think that's an excuse for the sudden influx of negativity. Nor do I think anyone is suddenly going to fix it via a COTH thread.

    I don't think any of us our burying our heads in the sand. We would just rather focus on the positive in our chosen sport rather than rehashing the negative aspects repeatedly.

    And, while I always enjoy new voices and opinions on this forum... I personally become rather offended when folks who don't haven't the faintest familiarity with racing come here proposing they know better than those who make a livelihood of the sport. As someone in the industry, doesn't that bother you?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2007
    Posts
    1,055

    Default

    I wrote this article that ran in the BloodHorse a year ago.

    Not that I'm any great clairvoyant (the writing is on the wall and I can read) much of what I feared - e.g. HSUS and PETA engagement and continued fan attrition - is happening.

    Between the slaughter issue here in IL (a plant reopened, and then it was outlawed) and the Barbaro episode, I took a long, hard look at myself and what had been my favorite sport. That drove me to get into OTTB retirement and was how I got involved with Wood End (see sig.) I remain ambivalent - I am excited about BB's triple crown chances (will this be the year!?!?!) but at the same time, have trouble resolving the disposal of used up racing and breeding stock. Where business interests meet animal interests is always an uncomfortable place.

    Basically, I really love the good and really hate the bad. I'm chipping away at the problems I can influence, and am hoping that the leaders of the sport, as fragmented as they are, will give me a reason to regain my confidence and pleasure in watching those magnificent horses run.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

    Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2005
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    The screen name of the Ned Negative person well, says it all. If mine hurt I'd be grumpy too.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2006
    Location
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    I think a lot of it has to do with those posters who usually post regularly on the other forums. Boy oh boy, everything is an argument for a lot of them! But, of course, they call it a discussion . Everything from name calling to telling people to get off the board. Very unpleasant

    Maybe it's just the heat of the moment with all that's going on with horse sports right now.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    The screen name of the Ned Negative person well, says it all. If mine hurt I'd be grumpy too.
    Seriously, guys, cut him some slack. He's in a tough spot what with that penicillin allergy and all.

    As for me? Well, I've been pretty punchy ever since my wand broke.

    I'm having one heck of a time trying to replace it. Anybody have a Fairy Supply Outlet in their area?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 30, 2006
    Location
    Little Rhody
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    I'm having one heck of a time trying to replace it. Anybody have a Fairy Supply Outlet in their area?
    There used to be one near Brown University but they closed. I now have to resort to ordering mine on-line

    http://willowrootwands.com/



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    There used to be one near Brown University but they closed. I now have to resort to ordering mine on-line

    http://willowrootwands.com/
    "Last a lifetime" they say. Hmm. 'Might have to give them a try.

    A well meaning friend got me this for Christmas: Glittery star wand

    I'm finding it works exceptionally well for getting my OTTBs to go really really fast, but for cleaning stalls?

    Not so much.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,455

    Default

    I usually just lurk - I enjoy racing - but don't have the in-depth knowledge that y'all do. I do learn a lot, though.

    Mostly - I just enjoy racing. Sorry if I get drawn into those posts about animal rights - I see the posts and just can't help responding.

    Mr. JSwan heard me screaming go Big Brown Go - and he said if I enjoy it so much - he'd try and finagle time so he could go to a race so he could enjoy it with me.

    I'm not one who is drawn to racing because of the slots. And I'm lucky to be able to attend fabulous point to points - love those timber horses! Doug Fout does seem to be having a run of bad luck - but I'm sure that will change soon!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar. 7, 2003
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    A well meaning friend got me this for Christmas: Glittery star wand

    I'm finding it works exceptionally well for getting my OTTBs to go really really fast...
    Oh, and by really really fast, I'm talking like 9 second furlong fast.

    I don't even have to touch them with it -- just show it to them.

    Magic.




  19. #19
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2001
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    662

    Default

    I'm surprised you are surprised - given the enormous attention given to the death of Eight Belles - before Barbaro has really faded from public memory - and on the heels of the Rolex deaths.

    COTH is a huge, multi-discipline bulletin board. And one of the few places a knowledgeable Racing forum is readily accessible to wide range of horse people. And obviously, many are upset, confused or out-right angry about these high-profile deaths.

    So, despite the negativity, I hope - rather than closing ranks - the informed people in this forum continue to answer questions and provide intelligent insight and discussion into the good, the bad and the ugly of horse-racing.

    As a public service to the sport of kings.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar. 23, 2006
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Regarding the negativity, that is why I usually lurk-afraid to post and get flamed.
    However, I have noticed that in a tough year in which Big Brown's TC quest seems like one of the brightest moments, some people seem to be going out of their way to knock the horse. Maybe it is because they don't like his connections (owner and/or trainer.) Comments have been made about his quality, i.e., "He's no Secretariat," "He's only the best of a bad bunch." Can't we just enjoy him for what he is?



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 89
    Last Post: Jan. 17, 2010, 03:59 PM
  2. Notes on poster negativity.
    By MagicRoseFarm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Apr. 7, 2008, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •